2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The acl, has acl's ended players careers, not generally, no. Slowed them down maybe. Otherwise, why is your point. He was stated as top 10 before the injury. Very classy player
He has a low level of exposed form and is rehabbing an ACL.

You would be stupid to blow a top 10’pick on that. They are major red flags

Probably the bigger question is what type of offer would be needed for us to part with Pick 8 prior to draft night?

Anything could happen on draft night and teams could get desperate, but what type of deal would shift the needle for us over this trade period?

Do we throw up our future first for Gold Coasts #13 and create even more of a bidding war between Collingwood and Carlton to appease Port in the Dan Houston trade?

I know we are crying out for mids, but if Armstrong is available at our first pick we have to take him. If we don't it will be a Prettracca level f*kup by the club.

would love for us to also take Kako and put 44 on his back. guy gives me Milne vibes.

Last edited:

I know we are crying out for mids, but if Armstrong is available at our first pick we have to take him. If we don't it will be a Prettracca level f*kup by the club.

would love for us to also take Kako and put 44 on his back. guy gives me Milne vibes.
take 44 from Wilkie??

yeah no

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like our biggest need in the midfield is a clearance beast who can win first hands on the footy, and break through tackles to get it out to distributors. Philippou, although quite big for a mid, is more your second possession, step through congestion midfielder. Windhager is your four negating mid with some breakaway speed. We then have Henry and Wilson as line breaking outside mids. Although physically similar in size and style as poo, smilie is the most likely to become that "Cripps style" contested beast in the middle. Lalor also, but with more explosion, but I doubt he makes it out pick.

Pick 7: Josh smilie

Trade pick 8 for gws 2 picks in the teens and hopefully grab one of hotton/lindsay/hynes then maybe a tall forward/ruck whitlocks/dodson/simms.

Grab the best small forward/mid with our second round pick berry/datolli/gross/hannaford

Then pick up Cole, Hoffman, Peckett (hopefully a couple of these rookies)

Rebuild complete.
-clearance beast
-outside mid
-tall forward/ruck
-small forward
-key back
-medium defender
-peckett

Probably the bigger question is what type of offer would be needed for us to part with Pick 8 prior to draft night?

Anything could happen on draft night and teams could get desperate, but what type of deal would shift the needle for us over this trade period?

Do we throw up our future first for Gold Coasts #13 and create even more of a bidding war between Collingwood and Carlton to appease Port in the Dan Houston trade?
This would be a great result. 4 picks inside 25.

Although 43 will probably get McLobster done. Screenshot_20241004-173554.jpg

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004-174858.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004-174858.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 22

If we are confident of luring LDU or Brayshaw next year, given we have pick 8, I think this is the way I would lean.
Pick 7 best available contested beast with exit speed, pick 8 Armstrong.

He has a low level of exposed form and is rehabbing an ACL.

You would be stupid to blow a top 10’pick on that. They are major red flags
Always interesting looking back at these. Sometimes development means the draft year is critical… sometimes it’s just one year among many. If you picked the top 10 in the AFL we would all disagree and it would change from year to year.

I think many of these have stayed the same compared to other years?

If we are confident of luring LDU or Brayshaw next year, given we have pick 8, I think this is the way I would lean.
Pick 7 best available contested beast with exit speed, pick 8 Armstrong.
Yeah, I have a want for mids in the draft, but this is very true. Whether we get them or not … but your thinking is really interesting

Always interesting looking back at these. Sometimes development means the draft year is critical… sometimes it’s just one year among many. If you picked the top 10 in the AFL we would all disagree and it would change from year to year.

I think many of these have stayed the same compared to other years?

The question isn’t whether he is talented.

He is.

The question is whether you invest a top 10 pick on him - when there is very little exposed form and an ACL.

There are enough questions here to back away from choosing him in the top 10.

Just my 2 cents.

The problem is that this pick is now so competitive that it will cost us a fortune. F1 and more, potentially another very decent pick. Although it probably shows how valuable 7 and 8 are. If the Suns lose pick 6, perhaps we would turn the tables, enabling GC to get a puck in before Lombard bid and we could ask for a king’s ransom.

He is.

The question is whether you invest a top 10 pick on him - when there is very little exposed form and an ACL.

Just my 2 cents.
I completely agree though and probably didn’t articulate this because I was surprised he was in Twomey’s list and perhaps I was too hasty.

The 4 weeks could very well be a bit of a good run that doesn’t carry through at that level. From what I’ve seen of his centre midfield work, I just don’t see him in there as much as people want. Primarily we’re picking a forward. A very agile and skilful one though.

Excluding players in academies and father sons, this is my opinion of what has been the return at Pick 7 and 8

Dan Curtin - Hit / Unproven at AFL
Nate Caddy - Hit

Jhye Clark - Unproven at AFL
Reuben Ginny - Hit

Josh Gibcus - Hit / Injured
Neil Erasmus - Unproven at AFL

Archie Perkins - Miss / Poor club development
Zach Reid - Miss / Poor club development / Injured

Hayden Young - Hit
Caleb Serong - Superstar

Bailey Smith - Hit / Potential Superstar / Injured
Chayce Jones - Miss

Hunter Clark - Hit / Injured
Nick Coffield - Miss / Injured

Griffin Logue - Average
Will Brodie - Miss

Sam Weideman - Miss
Harry Mckay - Superstar

Paul Ahern - Miss
Peter Wright - Average

James Aish - Average
Christian Salem - Hit

Ollie Wines - Superstar
Sam Mayes - Average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah my scenario was splitting 8 for two later first rounders and then picking up Hotton and another (Lindsay?).

Lever and King both examples of having done an ACL in their draft year and still going top 10. Both good investments.

Last edited:

You might be right, but I feel like someone could have written this about Paddy Mccartin 10 years ago, resulting in the very **** up you speak of.

Yeah my scenario was splitting 8 for two later first rounders and then picking up Hotton and another (Lindsay?).

Lever and King both examples of having done an ACL in their draft year and still going top 10. Both good investments.
Difference with those is both were superstars in there underage year and were probably pick 1 if not injured. Hotton was not considered a top 10 before the season started Played 4 really good games albeit in easy wins where the whole of sandy stuffed the stat sheet. Way too big of a risk for a top 10 and even id be iffy to take him in the teens with the amount of exposed talent and form from the rest of the pool. I expect him to go late first early second but it’s probably not a risk I’d take considering it was really only 4 solid games he played. Big risk

Sadly if we want two of the top mids we will need to trade up.

If Gold Coast were better negotiators we could trade

8,25, and F1 with them for 6 and 12.

That would give us 6, 7 and 12 this year for our first three picks. Get two of the top 7 mids at the first two and then try and do some trade back deals on draft night to collect a second/third rounder again.

Unfortunately Gold Coast are the worst at negotiating and will probably give up pick 6 and more to Richmond for Dan Rioli who is definitely not worth Pick 6 alone, probably Pick 12 by itself maybe.

At the moment we are one spot short at Pick 8 from collecting a second of the top midfield group.

That would give us 6, 7 and 12 this year for our first three picks. Get two of the top 7 mids at the first two and then try and do some trade back deals on draft night to collect a second/third rounder again.

Unfortunately Gold Coast are the worst at negotiating and will probably give up pick 6 and more to Richmond for Dan Rioli who is definitely not worth Pick 6 alone, probably Pick 12 by itself maybe.

At the moment we are one spot short at Pick 8 from collecting a second of the top midfield group.
It depends how we view the top group. For all we know we may rate Lindsay in the top group.

King probably slightly different. He had the height and was a dominant junior player. Touted #1 12-18 months out from his draft year.

Would kick bags.

Even the limited games he played when he did his ACL. He kicked something like 7 or 8 goals 5 behinds in a game.

Open your podcast player and listen to Cal Twomeys draft update from yesterday.

Whatever order we have been working on in this thread could be well and truly in the bin.

Said Lalor or FOS for pick 1
Alex Tauru is in the top 10 and could go as high as 2 to North.
Jagga 3 to the eagles.

Langford could go anywhere.

Sounded like he locked in Smillie to Richmond at 6 (GC pick)

Armstrong to the Dees @ 5

Sounded like 2 of Langford Lalor Reid Smillie at our picks

King probably slightly different. He had the height and was a dominant junior player. Touted #1 12-18 months out from his draft year.

Would kick bags.

Even the limited games he played when he did his ACL. He kicked something like 7 or 8 goals 5 behinds in a game.

Whatever order we have been working on in this thread could be well and truly in the bin.

Jagga 3 to the eagles.

Mentioned Draper aswell.

Would kick bags.

Jagga 3 to the eagles.

Taking either FOS or Lalor at Pick 1 would be a risk given their injury riddled years. We might see a bid on Ashcroft at 1 if that’s the case.

It is Toce’s first draft for Richmond in the big chair bit different from drafting for us where we have had later picks he can just select who falls and be a bit more speculative.

Can’t see North Taking Tauru at 2, theyd be stupid too not trade down and get more value, no one else will take Tauru in the top 10. (Maybe us but that would be a stretch).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We could ask to borrow Geelong's blackmail material, they're outstanding at reaming Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back