2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on that we are still a bit outside of the ones I think really suit our midfield attributes (Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor / Sid Draper) keep in mind Simon Dalrymple has spoken about draft picks (along with being best available) should be able to come in and suit the style of play. Similar to how Darcy Wilson came straight in although he probably exceeded expectations significantly.

Phantom draft

Richmond ------------- Pick 1 -- Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor
North Melbourne ------ Pick 2 -- Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor / Alix Tauru / Luke Trainor
West Coast ------------ Pick 3 -- Jagga Smith
Adelaide --------------- Pick 4 -- Sid Draper
Melbourne ------------- Pick 5 -- Harry Armstrong
Richmond -------------- Pick 6 -- Josh Smillie / Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor
St Kilda ---------------- Pick 7 -- ???
St Kilda ---------------- Pick 8 -- ???

Top Group

Mids/Medium

Jagga Smith
Finn O’Sullivan
Sam Lalor
Sid Draper
Josh Smillie
Harvey Langford
Murphy Reid
Tobie Travaglia
Xavier Lindsay

Talls
Harry Armstrong
Alix Tauru
Luke Trainor
Jobe Shanahan

Smalls
Joe Berry

Last edited:
Based on that we are still a bit outside of the ones I think really suit our midfield attributes (Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor / Sid Draper)

Phantom draft

Richmond - Pick 1 Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor
North Melbourne - Pick 2 Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor / Alix Tauru / Luke Trainor
West Coast - Pick 3 Jagga Smith
Adelaide - Pick 4 Sid Draper
Melbourne - Pick 5 Harry Armstrong
Richmond - Pick 6 Josh Smillie / Finn O’Sullivan / Sam Lalor
St Kilda - Pick 7 ???
St Kilda - Pick 8 ???

Top Group

Mids/Medium

Jagga Smith
Finn O’Sullivan
Sam Lalor
Sid Draper
Josh Smillie
Harvey Langford
Murphy Reid
Tobie Travaglia
Xavier Lindsay

Talls
Harry Armstrong
Alix Tauru
Luke Trainor
Jobe Shanahan

Smalls
Joe Berry
Just on Luke trainor, he is unquestionably elite if he didn't have the concussion question marks I would be more than happy taking him at Pick 8. Sam Lalor is almost guaranteed to go before our pick he could go 1, 2, 4, 5 or 6. which sucks because him partnered with Murphy Reid would set our midfield up perfectly.

Last edited:

The problem is that this pick is now so competitive that it will cost us a fortune. F1 and more, potentially another very decent pick. Although it probably shows how valuable 7 and 8 are. If the Suns lose pick 6, perhaps we would turn the tables, enabling GC to get a puck in before Lombard bid and we could ask for a king’s ransom.
Pick #13 is priced as high as the market dictates. Twomey is already noting its a buyers market with Collingwood and Carlton vying for it - surely our F1 is a better outcome for Suns than either of theirs? Unless Pies package Noble up with their F1 for it (and then some) I think we might have a compelling case for Suns to think about.

We apparently want to talk to essendon about their pick 9
Our Future First realistically is Pick 8-12 in a 'shallow' draft next year so this is an elite deal if we can pull it off. I'm sure we are threatening the Isaac Kako bid and taking Jobe Shanahan and all other levers we can pull. Maybe even taking on Shiel's Salary hahaha

Our Future First realistically is Pick 8-12 in a 'shallow' draft next year so this is an elite deal if we can pull it off. I'm sure we are threatening the Isaac Kako bid and taking Jobe Shanahan and all other levers we can pull. Maybe even taking on Shiel's Salary hahaha
This is close to the stuff I got in a message.

(Minus the Shiel stuff).

This is close to the stuff I got in a message.

(Minus the Shiel stuff).
Trade

St Kilda get: Pick 9 & Dylan Shiel (salary dump)
Essendon get: F1st tied to St Kilda & F4th tied to St Kilda

We don't want Shiel but If I was Essendon I would be trying to shoehorn him into the deal haha

If we do the deal in all seriousness, we must be pretty confident on getting one of LDU/Brayshaw or Callaghan over the line next year. and then trading the 2026 F1st 2027 F1st to make it happen if the Free Agency deals get matched.

I don't mind it at all, bring in bulk talent in a really good draft this year and put a full stop on the 'replumbing, rewire and reset' in this year's draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade

St Kilda get: Pick 9 & Dylan Shiel (salary dump)
Essendon get: F1st tied to St Kilda & F4th tied to St Kilda

We don't want Shiel but If I was Essendon I would be trying to shoehorn him into the deal haha
God I hope not 😂

I’m pretty sure if it’s something that happens it would be our F1 + 25 (or is it 26 now?)

Once the bid comes in - which they should be able to cover with 1 second round pick. They could trade back in with a future first (ours or theirs).

We control the draft from #7 onwards with 7+8+9.

Take who we want and trade back slowly if we want with 9 😂

If it's to secure 7, 8 AND 9 then that is highly erotic. Would need to be a future 1st and a cherry on top surely? Given the hype on this draft.
Dons can’t ask for a heap.

They can’t take a first rounder as it will be eaten under the Kako bid.

So a second rounder covers the bid. They still use the other and have 2 firsts to play with

Sex Ed Sexual Education GIF by American Dad

The Dons would love that. But probably unders for us. Though would be great to have picks 7, 8 and 9.

Hopefully something back to us, direct or pick swap in our favour.
2024 pick 26 and 2025 first round pick
For
2024 pick 9 and 2025 3rd round pick

Then use 2 of our 3 3rd round picks for Soldo and Macrae.

King probably slightly different. He had the height and was a dominant junior player. Touted #1 12-18 months out from his draft year.

Would kick bags.

Even the limited games he played when he did his ACL. He kicked something like 7 or 8 goals 5 behinds in a game.

Open your podcast player and listen to Cal Twomeys draft update from yesterday.

Whatever order we have been working on in this thread could be well and truly in the bin.

Said Lalor or FOS for pick 1
Alex Tauru is in the top 10 and could go as high as 2 to North.
Jagga 3 to the eagles.

Langford could go anywhere.

Sounded like he locked in Smillie to Richmond at 6 (GC pick)

Armstrong to the Dees @ 5

Sounded like 2 of Langford Lalor Reid Smillie at our picks

Draper is the interesting one.

I saw on Fox Sports a report that had Tigers keen on Langford very early in the draft because they are worried he won’t last long. If so West Coast and Adelaide could go any number of ways if one of Smith and O’Sullivan (or both) are not drafted by the Tigers.

Imagine if Tigers draft Lalor and then Langford with 1 & 2 (assuming North trade down).

Draper could be there at our pick 7.

Dons can’t ask for a heap.

They can’t take a first rounder as it will be eaten under the Kako bid.

So a second rounder covers the bid. They still use the other and have 2 firsts to play with
If this happens, I am in love with that free second from GWS linked to Adelaide.

Just look at what it has already done for us.

Henry for a couple of places drop in the 2nd round
Helped secure Wilson

Possible scenario 2024
F1 + 26 (free second from GWS linked to Adelaide)
pick 9

Gives us 7+8+9.

I thought we were in a cracking position with 7 & 8, but with 9 as well our options are endless

Could keep 7 & 8 and split 9. Have four in the top 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back