2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just haven’t seen that guy. He gets low numbers as a mid. Looks better forward. If everything goes to plan he’s Petracca or DeGoey. Not sure he has the crazy X factor of Dusty. I reckon he looks a bit more like Stringer. Still a very good player if he gets there. Only attitude held Stringer back.
I'm sticking with the LDU comparison having just watched their draft highlights back to back. I don't like comparing kids to stars because who were the Cripps/Bont/Dustys before Cripps/Bont/Dusty? No one. Each is a star because they are identifiable as unique, and that moniker is reserved for maybe the top half a dozen at any one time. Also look where they got drafted. You don't draft stars. You draft top prospects and then hope you get lucky. Harley Reid is the exception once in a generation if that.

They say Lalor has never done a preseason and there's a lot of growth for fitness which will increase his numbers. He's a risk, but they all are to some extent.

The three main draft observers who post on BF have Lindsay at 4, 5 and 14 in their power rankings. ESPN has him at 6 and compares him to Josh Kelly. He has that laconic nature but a bit of a silent assassin. I think what he does is very understated. If you can remain calm and composed in chaos by hitting laser passes through the middle you are pretty darn good.
He did have an incredible calmness coming out of the middle in the Metro Country game. Pointing to blokes to cover him while he’s winning a clearance 🤣.

But there were passages where he fumbled around like an old grandma. High pressure and all that, but still …

Here is an interesting list of all the players who finished in the top ten in both the 20-metre sprint and the Agility test in the AFL Combine in the last decade. I have included the current crop in the 2024 combine as a guide to who is available in the draft. Only four of the 28 players between 2013 and 2023 were not drafted - two were Irish players and in 2021 because of Covid the combine did not include all the youth teams. One aspect I find interesting is the career longevity of many of the players in this list. Nineteen are still playing. Given the previous results, there is a high likelihood that each of the players in the current crop will be drafted at some point.

2024 (current crop)
Leo Lombard
Rhys Unwin
Jasper Alger
Malakai Champion

Lance Collard (drafted Saints)
Zane Zakostelsky (drafted Lions)
Aiden O’Driscoll (drafted Western Bulldogs forced to retire due to concussion)

Toby McMullin (drafted GWS)
Darcy Jones (drafted GWS)
Ed Allan (drafted Collingwood)

2021 (Vic Metro and others did not take part)
Bryce Watson (not drafted)

Isiah Winder (drafted by WCE 7 games – delisted)

Noah Cumberland (drafted by Richmond)
Dylan Stephens (drafted by Swans – traded to North)

Izak Rankine (drafted by Gold Coast – traded to Adelaide)
Connor Rozee (drafted by Port Adelaide)
Will Hamill (drafted by Crows)
Sam Sturt (drafted by Fremantle)
Xavier O’Halloran (drafted by GWS)

Aiden Bonar (drafted by GWS – traded to North – delisted after 34 games combined)
Brent Daniels (drafted by GWS)
Kane Farrell (drafted by Port Adelaide)
Ben Miller (drafted by Richmond)
Stefan Okunbar (Irish player signed by Geelong on 2-year contract)

Ben Ainsworth (drafted by Suns)

Alex Morgan (drafted by Essendon – delisted and picked up by North delisted after 2 games)

Conor McKenna (drafted by Essendon – left, returned to Brisbane – sub in 2024 GF)
Jarrod Pickett (drafted by GWS – traded to Carlton released after 17 games)

Daniel Flynn (Irish – played SANFL)
Darcy Byrne-Jones (drafted by Port Adelaide)
Richard Bourne (not drafted)
Karl Amon (drafted by Port Adelaide – moved to Hawthorn)

Last edited:

With all the comparisons what’s your opinion out of this years draft pool:

1. Who has the highest upside of becoming a star of the competion?
2. Who is the safest bet to be a quality midfielder 200 game one best 5 players in the team?
3. Who hits the ground running and is rising star next year?
4. Who is the highest ranked player you think will be a dud?
5. Who do you think Ross would fall in love with?
6. Who is going to be most injury cursed?
7. Who is going to be the most fun to watch?
8. Who is your Smokey from outside the top 20 or so?

For me:
1. Lalor (Has the power and skill to be special) Note-Smilie is my second choice
2. Ashcroft (not fair but almost a lock to be a very good player)
3. Smith (will get played and will rack up stats)
4. Armstrong (not sold on him)
5. Langford (has Lenny vibes and is super consistent)
6. Lalor (Hamstrings already a worry)
7. Reid (Has the tricks and vision)
8. Rhys Unwin
1. Draper
2. Draper
3. Draper
4. FOS
5. Dettolli
6. Lalor
7. Dettolli/Hannaford
8. Hannaford

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Reid?

Looks a classy bugger, I reckon hed look nice next to Smillie and Pou.
He reminds of a Hunter Clark type player, he has similar attributes.
Although a little smaller but slightly quicker.
I don’t think he’s up to AFL mid. He’s more a running hb/wing.

He would be a pass for me.

I wonder what sort of offers we might get in a live trade for Pick 8 (11) if this is how it pans out

Richmond - Pick 1 - Sam Lalor
Brisbane - Pick 2 - Levi Ashcroft
North Melbourne - Pick 3 - Alix Tauru
West Coast - Pick 4 - Finn O'Sullivan
Adelaide - Pick 5 - Sid Draper
Melbourne - Pick 6 - Harvey Langford
Richmond - Pick 7 - Josh Smillie
Gold Coast - Pick 8 - Leo Lombard
Essendon - Pick 9 - Isaac Kako
St Kilda - Pick Pick 10 - Jagga Smith
St Kilda - Pick - Pick 11 - ?

It's possible Josh Smillie is taken by Richmond and Jagga Smith falls to our pick, in that case I'm not sure we should pair him with a Xavier Lindsay or Murphy Reid, Jagga is too similar of a type (not the exact same)

If it falls like this I'd look at sliding back 8 (11) for two later firsts or a slide and a Future 1st.
That would be amazing outcome for the Saints.

Wonder if Melb would pull the trigger to pick up Armstrong at 6?
They have already said they are keen on him.

With all the comparisons what’s your opinion out of this years draft pool:

1. Who has the highest upside of becoming a star of the competion?
2. Who is the safest bet to be a quality midfielder 200 game one best 5 players in the team?
3. Who hits the ground running and is rising star next year?
4. Who is the highest ranked player you think will be a dud?
5. Who do you think Ross would fall in love with?
6. Who is going to be most injury cursed?
7. Who is going to be the most fun to watch?
8. Who is your Smokey from outside the top 20 or so?

For me:
1. Lalor (Has the power and skill to be special) Note-Smilie is my second choice
2. Ashcroft (not fair but almost a lock to be a very good player)
3. Smith (will get played and will rack up stats)
4. Armstrong (not sold on him)
5. Langford (has Lenny vibes and is super consistent)
6. Lalor (Hamstrings already a worry)
7. Reid (Has the tricks and vision)
8. Rhys Unwin
Nice questions. Can't argue with any of those answers. Will be funny to reflect on down the track. My choices below, cheating on a couple

1. Lalor (FOS and Reid a close 2nd/3rd)
2. Smith (could be top 5 B&F next year if he ends up at Richmond)
3. Draper (Lalor 2nd)
4. Langford / Lindsay (dud is harsh, just think they might not be as good as those picked around them)
5. Langford (competitive animal)
6. Trainor (though I really really hope not)
7. Reid / Hannaford
8. Ough / Hynes (this thread's love children)

Shout out to Leo Lombard couldn't fit him in any of these but think he's a top 5 talent

This would be a massive outcome and game changer!

Its was reported this afternoon we are making a play for pick 3, maybe this is how we do it.

My two cents.. concept is there but needs a bit of juggling

14 was worth a F1+F2 so in theory 13 by itself should be around the same mark. Getting an upgrade from 8 to 3 included (plus pick 63) is a bit generous. We'd need to chuck in 27 as well

Okay deal for WC. Richmond giving away a pick or two too many. GC need futures, they already have the points for Lombard

maybe something like
StK
in: 3, 13
out: 8, 27, F1, F2

WC:
in: 8, Baker
out: 3, F2

Rich:
in: F1(StK), 27
out: Baker, F2

GC:
in: F2(Rich), F2(WC), F2(StK)
out: 13

and late swaps to smooth things out

Think that's a bit fairer on paper for all concerned but in this draft the pick 8 to pick 3 upgrade is completely not worth that price IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="JediSaint" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
This would be a massive outcome and game changer!

Its was reported this afternoon we are making a play for pick , maybe this is how we do it.

So we’d end up with , [emoji[emoji6]], this year? If that comes off, it’s time to start talking about where (not if) the bronze Silvagni statue should be installed.

I may be in the minority, but I don't really want travaglia. I don't see a midfielder at all, just a dashing defender with average foot skills. Also, rewatching some of Lindsay's highlights, I have noticed that he seems to be a bit fumbly, and not a one touch kind of player which concerns me. Re-watched some footage of Langford and I'm praying that he makes it to us, but looking unlikely. Smilies foot skills are better then I remember, but still unsure if he makes it.
The thing that gets missed with Travaglia is how competitive he is. Dude is just an absolute beast. His running means he will make it a the very least as dashing half back but I tend to see his upside as Will Day as many others do.

I'm not the gambling type but I'd rather stick with 7 & 8 than trade up. No guarantee we get Lalor even at 2, and is he THAT much better than Smilie who will probably still be on the board at 7 that we sacrifice our two top ten picks for him and a teens pick?

It's a deep draft

My two cents.. concept is there but needs a bit of juggling

14 was worth a F1+F2 so in theory 13 by itself should be around the same mark. Getting an upgrade from 8 to 3 included (plus pick 63) is a bit generous. We'd need to chuck in 27 as well

Okay deal for WC. Richmond giving away a pick or two too many. GC need futures, they already have the points for Lombard

maybe something like
StK
in: 3, 13
out: 8, 27, F1, F2

WC:
in: 8, Baker
out: 3, F2

Rich:
in: F1(StK), 27
out: Baker, F2

GC:
in: F2(Rich), F2(WC), F2(StK)
out: 13

and late swaps to smooth things out

Think that's a bit fairer on paper for all concerned but in this draft the pick 8 to pick 3 upgrade is completely not worth that price IMO

As you said a bit of smoothing required, but this feels pretty reasonable in isolation looking at each club. One would assume the Tigers and Eagles F2 would be early, ours maybe so for points sake it's not bad if that was Suns intent.

West Coast probably ask for a bit more for getting rid of pick 3 and Richmond feels about right unless the truly want to go all in for this draft.

For us, 3 & 13 is absolutely worth that price.

I'm not the gambling type but I'd rather stick with 7 & 8 than trade up. No guarantee we get Lalor even at 2, and is he THAT much better than Smilie who will probably still be on the board at 7 that we sacrifice our two top ten picks for him and a teens pick?

It's a deep draft

Almost all hypothetical trades have us keeping pick 7, which allows us a chance at that top pick, probably Smillie or Langford.

One of FOS, Lalor, Smith or Draper ARE that much better than the next rung imo.

Be it 8 or 13, there could be any of Reid, TT, Hotton, Lindsay, Armstrong, Hynes etc available. 13 is a great spot hence the clubs fighting for it - 8 is just the beginning of that group, I'd upgrade 8 for that reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back