2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Just at lunch with someone who is in the AFL industry. When I mentioned Taj Hotton and his drop, they told me that clubs doctors will scan and test every potential draftee, looking right through their history and their families history. No wonder Hotton and Trainor have drifted out in the draft.

So for example, the club doctors would be looking at Hotton's medical history, his brothers, and what happened to his father in his AFL career.

This might be common knowledge but it was news to me the thoroughness AFL clubs select their players, both mens and womens.

Just like buying a race horse mate - breeding and soundness are important.

Last edited:
Just like buying a race horse mate - breeding and soundness is important.
I used to put girlfriends through a similarly searchng review...........last thing you want is an injury whilst you're in the saddle!!

I can't understand the desire to break up King / Sharman / Caminiti. I think we need to get as many games into them together as possible.

Sharman is more a Gunstan type than a true key forward so I think he'll give us most value as a third tall.

Caminiti is a great competitor and will be a good deep target going forward.

Having them both there goves us freedom to have King roam up the ground more. I'd much rather him getting 15-20 touches and 3 shots at goal a game than 5-10 touches with 4 or 5 shots. I'd have no qualms with him providing the chop out in the ruck too, if it was good enough for Daniher it's good enough for King IMO.

I know we've lost Battle but I'd rather see how we go with Arie asked to play as a 3rd tall defender and if that doesn't work, I'd honestly rather bring in Cordy as we know he's at least serviceable.

The top 4 teams all played 3 tall forwards so I don't think it's too slow or immobile.
Wonder if we could have a look at Liam McMahon, Carlton Vfl. Kicked 7 against the Cats later in the season & in that game, was even swung back for abit?

Reid reminds me a bit of Sam Mitchell with those quick hands, short kicks and always making the right decision.

The only problem is we’re crying out for players with burst speed and who can exit through the front of a stoppage.

Love the look of Smillie.
The impressive thing about Smillie are his quick hands in a stoppage. Gives him another point of difference.

Wonder if we could have a look at Liam McMahon, Carlton Vfl. Kicked 7 against the Cats later in the season & in that game, was even swung back for abit?
Would rather take a tall in the second round of the draft; Faull, Gerreyn, Sims, Stumpf all good options

Don't need short-term fixes atm since we're not contending. Would rather keep Hayes and back in Keeler

Would rather take a tall in the second round of the draft; Faull, Gerreyn, Sims, Stumpf all good options

Don't need short-term fixes atm since we're not contending. Would rather keep Hayes and back in Keeler
McMahon wouldn't be a short-term fix, 22y.o? Get him with a late pick & obviously more ready to go, than the draftees. He won the Blues Vfl B&F & kicked 45 goals from 16 games.

Last edited:
I'm going best available every time. If what we rate is gone and he's next best you grab them. You can always trade player out later. With Tassie coming in there will be premiums placed on existing talent over the next few years.

And to pass up a future star if thought to be the case by our recruiters then you don’t do that based on those names, who I rate but still lots to prove across King, Caminiti, Sharman, Owens - good prospects but development or injury luck still required imv. Grab the best available every time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only problem with this is that North will probably want 6 & something for pick 2. So we have to get a deal done with Richmond before this!

We could potentially look then to trade something with 7 to North for pick 2....although I don't know what we would have left to offer by then....

Getting Pick 6 only benefits us if North Melbourne stay at Pick 2. Otherwise theres no point. If we traded for 6 and then Richmond go and swap 2 for 10 & 11 we are back to square one. One mid that slides and then an extra pick just outside of that.

And to pass up a future star if thought to be the case by our recruiters then you don’t do that based on those names, who I rate but still lots to prove across King, Caminiti, Sharman, Owens - good prospects but development or injury luck still required imv. Grab the best available every time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I mean while I agree, its all well and good to say get the best player every time, but if it's lineball, then you have to go for position first as the decider.

McMahon wouldn't be a short-term fix, 22y.o? Get him with a late pick & obviously more ready to go, than the draftees. He won the Blues Vfl B&F & kicked 45 goals from 16 games.
"Short-term fix" isn't directly related to age

It's about what sort of contribution a player can make over time

McMahon's ceiling is seemingly a lot lower than the draftees I mentioned based on what we've seen - delisted by AFL club because not good enough and wasn't a high draft pick either. Since we are not yet contending, we do not need assumed to be "ready to go" players when we can focus on developing the kids that have the higher ceiling over time

Would you rather us put time into a kid who could be a star when we are contending (Keeler), or put time into a kid who can improve us now but might not be as good as the other kid when we are contending?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean while I agree, its all well and good to say get the best player every time, but if it's lineball, then you have to go for position first as the decider.

Of course, if it's a coin toss it's not best available though.

Let's be honest, Langford and Reid remind you of every past and present superstar in the AFL

Nah, just trying to think of a taller upright dark haired mid. Reid is probably like Hunter Clark if he'd done a few lines before running out. Reckon he's a pretty unique type. I saw someone suggest Gryan Miers, I don't see that exactly but he's got that sort of creativity and set up ability.

Nah, just trying to think of a taller upright dark haired mid. Reid is probably like Hunter Clark if he'd done a few lines before running out. Reckon he's a pretty unique type. I saw someone suggest Gryan Miers, I don't see that exactly but he's got that sort of creativity and set up ability.
...and you may have stumbled onto the solution for Hunter Clark's output.

Of course, if it's a coin toss it's not best available though.
Well thats the point though isn't it? What one thinks is lineball, the other thinks is clear.

It's easy to say let's always draft the best player available, but it's a little more complex than that. I.e., Petracca vs. McCartin. This was a fair enough call at the time; unfortunately it just didn't pan out for us.

Well thats the point though isn't it? What one thinks is lineball, the other thinks is clear.

It's easy to say let's always draft the best player available, but it's a little more complex than that. I.e., Petracca vs. McCartin. This was a fair enough call at the time; unfortunately it just didn't pan out for us.

Petracca was clearly the best player in his draft year. Thats the point. We took the lesser player to fit with needs.

no.. experts were not divided. Petracca was clearly rated number 1 by vast majority of experts, in fact by all experts as far as I recall
A simple Google search will verify. Some years there are absolute clear, no questions asked, No.1 picks, but Petracca was definitely not one of those. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I don't think we can blame the saints recruiting staff for not foreseeing head trauma.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back