2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

Nah imo Norf are 100% more desperate given they need a tall. If they don't find a buyer then they have to reach massively so it'd be a waste of a pick 2

Richmond are ok with either scenario because its Lalor/FOS vs Langford/Smillie + Armstrong/Travaglia etc - both options equally good
North could threaten to take Lalor at 2 though. They could say that he provides enough of a point of difference, not a pure mid, played forward through the champs, etc

Makes me think that Richmond do in fact go with Lalor at 1 and force North's hand a bit. Reaching for Tauru at 2 is a bad move and they don't need FOS/Draper/Langford/Smillie/Reid etc

Been thinking a lot about this. Pou ran a quick 20m at the combine, but many complained this year about how he was slow. Pou showed in the latter part of the year that if he was hitting the contest at the right time he was dynamic. At the beginning of the year he looked slow and flat footed.

So I am of the belief that footy nous around the contest is so much more important than a few hundredths of a second in a controlled setting.
The ability to burst out of stoppage can’t be underestimated

If Tigers had pick 2 .... would you swap it for pick 6 & 18 ..... which in effect will go out past pick 20?
Tigers want mids.
So having 2 for them let’s them have their pick of the crop.
Also having picks 10,11,20,23 already they don’t need to turn on one into two.

Completely different case to north, a lot of other factors involved than just the afls point value on the picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tigers had pick 2 .... would you swap it for pick 6 & 18 ..... which in effect will go out past pick 20?

Considering they are interested in Tauru
6 yes
18 would be good to as i personally prefer Shanahan or a Whitlock to Armstrong.
So id be happy yeah but I could
I think the key position players are close.
6 & 18 gets you what you want

The problem for North is that pick 6 is still in the thick of the action when it comes to the top mids.

Richmond might be happy with getting whoever is there at 6.

GWS took Cadman at 1, he was probably 3 or 4 in reality. 2 vs 6 this draft is probably not that big of a drop. If I was Richmond, I'd offer 6 & 18 but nothing more, take it or leave it.
Richmond fan in peace.
I hope we don’t trade 6+ for 2 as there is nothing that indicates any of the top 6 or 7 players is a standout.

All clubs will have ranked their order of preference and most likely it is different for clubs with early picks. After selecting at 1, the kid we ranked 2 - 5 may fall to us anyway. I don’t see the need to trade up. Would you give up an extra round 1 pick for a 4 spot upgrade in a draft where the top 10 players look pretty even?

6 yes
6 & 11 guarantees what you want .... 6 & 18 not so much

In fact Melbourne could swoop for Tauru at pick 5 .... so no guarantees on him

6 yes
Zero Hanger have us picking Smillie & Armstrong with picks 7 & 8.
And Armstrong possibly works if Caminiti becomes a C.H.B.
Shanahan the more likely to be at 18 & some are saying he could equally be a good backman too.

I feel like selecting our first two picks is very simple. Take whoever is available out of

O'Sullivan
Draper
Smith
Lalor
Langford
Smilie
Reid
Lindsay

Those are the top 8 mids excluding academy picks. We have picks 7 and 8. So get two of them
That sums it up in a nutshell. That’s why I’d be happy to leave all of the pick swapping for others and just take our first two picks to the draft. We’re probably looking at two of the last four on that list and I’d be happy with that.

Zero Hanger have us picking Smillie & Armstrong with picks 7 & 8.
And Armstrong possibly works if Caminiti becomes a C.H.B.
I doubt too, that Armstrong slides out to pick 18.
Shanahan the more likely to be at 18 & some are saying he could equally be a good backman too.

Smilie is an unknown I think Richmond will be scared picking up a big body ie Riley Collier Dawkins but he could be absolutely anything. Needs to use that big body more, I do love Bo Allan though sheesh I wouldn’t mind him

If North gets pick 6 will it prompt Melbourne to reach for a tall before North's pick?

Possibly. I raised this earlier. It’s not impossible.

This is why North are stuck. Draft their preferred tall with pick 2 and massively over reach. Or Trade-down and potentially get gazumped by an earlier pick.

If North have overdosed on the blue pills for Tauru my advice to them is to over reach. Get your player and be happy.

Sometimes being too clever can backfire.

But if Melbourne jumped in early at 5 and grabbed their preferred tall then North would then probably take the next best tall that they fancy.

Good for Tigers and Saints. Two mids have slipped through the net.

Imagine if Tigers then take a tall as well at 6. Very unlikely, but goodness me. Three of the best mids will be available for us to choose from with our back-to-back picks.

We wouldn’t be trading-down then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back