2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Richmond fan in peace.
I hope we don’t trade 6+ for 2 as there is nothing that indicates any of the top 6 or 7 players is a standout.

All clubs will have ranked their order of preference and most likely it is different for clubs with early picks. After selecting at 1, the kid we ranked 2 - 5 may fall to us anyway. I don’t see the need to trade up. Would you give up an extra round 1 pick for a 4 spot upgrade in a draft where the top 10 players look pretty even?
Like you l see no value for the tiges to trade pick 6 all it achieves is doing Nth a favour and l have no idea why that's a good idea.

I think if North do Trade for Tigers pick 6 it’s good news for you guys as that leaves one of the top 6 mids available to you guys.

If North don’t do the trade and don’t jump on Tauru at 2, we may pounce on him at 6 but I haven’t heard anything to link us with him. We could even go Armstrong?

We can then grab a Lindsay, Travaglia, Hotton/ Berry type at 10 & 11.

It's a lot closer points wise (not that it matters but it helps in finding reasonably fair pick swaps).
West Coast gave up pick 3 (2234 pts) to Carlton and received back pick 12 (1268 pts) & pick 14 (1161 pts) ... total of 2429pts ..... so on pts value West Coast apparently won that trade yet the overwhelming general consensus was that West Coast got horrifically arse reamed

Carlton also threw in Owies and there were a few nothing other pick swaps at the end

The pts system is a joke of epic proportions only used for NGA/FS purposes which is an arse reaming joke in itself

Last edited:
Like you l see no value for the tiges to trade pick 6 all it achieves is doing Nth a favour and l have no idea why that's a good idea.
Cause Tigers absolutely get a player they want at pick 2 moreso than at pick 6

Don't let these Tiger nuffies suck you in ... like they sucked those idiotic Coast teams in ... coughing up way too much for GOPs

Richmond fan in peace.
I hope we don’t trade 6+ for 2 as there is nothing that indicates any of the top 6 or 7 players is a standout.

All clubs will have ranked their order of preference and most likely it is different for clubs with early picks. After selecting at 1, the kid we ranked 2 - 5 may fall to us anyway. I don’t see the need to trade up. Would you give up an extra round 1 pick for a 4 spot upgrade in a draft where the top 10 players look pretty even?

I agree that you can't really lose at pick 6, GC were fools to give it up so easily in my opinion. But I want to play devils advocate for a minute.

The main thing is not all clubs will see the top 2, 5, 10, 20 etc the same this year. I'd love to be able to see every clubs top 20 list - I'd hazard a guess that no two would be the same.

The point I'm trying to make is that we see 6 or 7 mids on the Saints board as being amazing gets for our club, the Saints recruiters may absolutely hate a couple of those. Or they may love a couple not considered in the consensus top echelon.

Richmond, well you guys may like the top 6, but considering the amount of work you've put into pick 1 you may be absolutely enamoured with only 2 kids in the top 10.

So whilst it is easy to argue, meh, we'll still get a great player at 6 - it may not be the player you guys absolutely want. Saints are in the same boat, but we don't have 8 picks in the top 25 to wheel and deal like you guys can.

The only club linked in the top 10 to Tauru is north? Dees are taking a midfielder and if Richmond sit at 6 they will take smillie or Langford who they are heavily keen on. Best case for us is if north trade to 6 meaning they target Tauru.
Yes if Tigers go to 2 & North to 6... it likely guarantees some mids to slide .... likely Langford / Smillie / Reid .... we can take 2 of these ... and throw Lindsay / Travaglia into the mix (personally I would prefer 2 of the first 3 listed)

I just can't see FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper sliding to us

The problem for North is that pick 6 is still in the thick of the action when it comes to the top mids.

Richmond might be happy with getting whoever is there at 6.

GWS took Cadman at 1, he was probably 3 or 4 in reality. 2 vs 6 this draft is probably not that big of a drop. If I was Richmond, I'd offer 6 & 18 but nothing more, take it or leave it.
Probably still worth it for North in their circumstances. They’re probably entitled to a little bit more, but their lack of mid range picks this year is now a problem. They won’t know for a couple of years how their tall picks late in the 1st round of last year’s draft will go. I suspect going a high level tall this year would be wise and 18 gives them a chance to go in a few different directions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes if Tigers go to 2 & North to 6... it likely guarantees some mids to slide .... likely Langford / Smillie / Reid .... we can take 2 of these ... and throw Lindsay / Travaglia into the mix (personally I would prefer 2 of the first 3 listed)

I just can't see FOS / Lalor / Jagga / Draper sliding to us
I agree those 4 are next to zero chance if any it’s probably smith. If Carlton select Draper the crows might lean towards impact over another accumulator and select Langford/smillie. All then needs to happen is Dees to select Langford/smillie with north taking Tauru and we have something like smith/reid.

My realistic preference is smillie or Langford and Reid with our picks. Can see all 3 developing into midfielders with all adding something a little different.

The only club linked in the top 10 to Tauru is north? Dees are taking a midfielder and if Richmond sit at 6 they will take smillie or Langford who they are heavily keen on. Best case for us is if north trade to 6 meaning they target Tauru.
Tauru got interviewed by 17/18 clubs - only the hawks didn’t as they won’t have a first round pick.

According to Twomey - He believes he is coming like a bullet into multiple top 10 clubs calculations. Whilst being loved by North.

He has also said in the past 4-6 weeks that Murphy Reid and Armstrong could go top 5.

Possibly. I raised this earlier. It’s not impossible.

This is why North are stuck. Draft their preferred tall with pick 2 and massively over reach. Or Trade-down and potentially get gazumped by an earlier pick.

If North have overdosed on the blue pills for Tauru my advice to them is to over reach. Get your player and be happy.

Sometimes being too clever can backfire.

But if Melbourne jumped in early at 5 and grabbed their preferred tall then North would then probably take the next best tall that they fancy.

Good for Tigers and Saints. Two mids have slipped through the net.

Imagine if Tigers then take a tall as well at 6. Very unlikely, but goodness me. Three of the best mids will be available for us to choose from with our back-to-back picks.

We wouldn’t be trading-down then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the over reach is only applicable insofar as the intel that is out there. Tauru was seen as a late teens pick even just a month or two back. A couple of writers - but almost solely Cal - change up their views and so do we all. For sure, some of that was form. Bu that’s a massive rise that’s really a revision as much as anything. Which is not wrong by the way.

If someone starts talking about Travaglia (insert any player outside the top group) being loved by a couple of teams around 3,4,5 then by draft night there will implicitly be a different ‘order’ by all us nuffies. Tauru would have been a massive reach at 12 not that long ago.

There had also been reference to us and Melbourne putting a lot of time into him. Could very well be nothing. But I suspect he is very popular now!

Herald Sun draft expert Chris Cavanagh suggests midfielders Josh Smillie, Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid will be in the mix at that time, and if they want a key position player, Harry Armstrong (forward) and Luke Trainor (defender) will be the two main options.
The Saints also have access to two good Next Generation Academy players later in the draft, defenders Adrian Cole and Lennox Hofmann, so it looms as a huge draft haul.
But success and failure sits with picks No. 7 and No. 8 and clearly the pressure is on Simon Dalrymple, the former Bulldogs and Swans recruiter, to nail the selections in his first time at bat at the Saints.
“We are definitely going to the draft,’’ Saints football boss David Misson said.
“Obviously some stuff can happen right up to – and on – draft night in regards to picks, but we’re committed to going to the draft to bring in young talent.’’
Misson baulked at the obvious suggestion the Saints would target midfield talent.
We’ll just take the best players with the picks,’’ he said. “I couldn’t stand here and say we’re only going to pick mids, we’ll see what players are there and we’ll take the best.’’

There had also been reference to us and Melbourne putting a lot of time into him. Could very well be nothing. But I suspect he is very popular now!
We would, as would every other club put time into every first round prospect. But as I said the only club linked so far inside the 10 is north. With being able to trade future picks if we have someone rated in our top 5 and he slips to say pick 18 we would trade out our first round of next years for example. Like sos did with stocker those years back

The North Melbourne draft thread has been illuminating.

As Significant has said, there's no guarantee that they will go for a key position player, and they indeed prefer to just grab the best available player at 2, which would be pretty disappointing. Frankly, I think that would be a dumb move from the kangaroos, but hey, it's their list, their future.

But it would leave us with no choice out of the top 6 midfielders. As far as key position players, a lot of them are still talking about grabbing the sliding Luke Trainor, who's from an intergenerational kangaroo family, but they still need to find that pick to get him with - At the moment, they don't have anything until pick 62 or something.

I don't know what they will do, but I wonder if SOS is considering pulling the trigger on a trade up to 2 with our 8 and 32.

Cause Tigers absolutely get a player they want at pick 2 moreso than at pick 6

Don't let these Tiger nuffies suck you in ... like they sucked those idiotic Coast teams in ... coughing up way too much for GOPs
I get the point I just don't see the value for Richmond, Nth get a second first rounder and the guy they really want at 6 on balance Nth do better than the tiges and not by a little.

I agree, although I don’t have any knowledge. It would make sense for Richmond to hold, take advantage of pick 6, which will be flexible to go in different directions and may well be their second or third favourite in the draft.

Yeah look 6 means bugger all to me if it means we can absolutely guarantee FOS, Lalor or Jagga. Two of those three and who’s ever 1st pick next year I’m happy.

I just am not comfortable at giving up 10 or 11 I think maybe there is Tobie Travaglia, Bo Allan (who could be Bont), Taj Hotton, Joe Berry etc

18 with 6 I’m happy.

Yeah look 6 means bugger all to me if it means we can absolutely guarantee FOS, Lalor or Jagga. Two of those three and who’s ever 1st pick next year I’m happy.

I just am not comfortable at giving up 10 or 11 I think maybe there is Tobie Travaglia, Bo Allan (who could be Bont), Taj Hotton, Joe Berry etc

18 with 6 I’m happy.
Almost a guarantee you grab P2 at this point.

Lalor and FOS

Blues should then end up taking Draper - would represent a POD for their midfield.

Then it’s absolutely up in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back