2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Almost a guarantee you grab P2 at this point.

Lalor and FOS

Blues should then end up taking Draper - would represent a POD for their midfield.

Then it’s absolutely up in the air.

Look FOS/Lalor in the middle is dangerous as it gets you basically have Heeney and petracca type players. I’d still like Jagga and Smilie/Langford or add a Bo Allan then sheesh good times ahead.

The North Melbourne draft thread has been illuminating.

As Significant has said, there's no guarantee that they will go for a key position player, and they indeed prefer to just grab the best available player at 2, which would be pretty disappointing. Frankly, I think that would be a dumb move from the kangaroos, but hey, it's their list, their future.

But it would leave us with no choice out of the top 6 midfielders. As far as key position players, a lot of them are still talking about grabbing the sliding Luke Trainor, who's from an intergenerational kangaroo family, but they still need to find that pick to get him with - At the moment, they don't have anything until pick 62 or something.

I don't know what they will do, but I wonder if SOS is considering pulling the trigger on a trade up to 2 with our 8 and 32.
There is a reason why North are rock hard over this bloke.

Look FOS/Lalor in the middle is dangerous as it gets you basically have Heeney and petracca type players. I’d still like Jagga and Smilie/Langford or add a Bo Allan then sheesh good times ahead.
The worst thing your club can do is over think this and try outsmart others.

Trade up. Get your players at 1+2 and then shop 10+11 for the now and future.

The worst thing your club can do is over think this and try outsmart others.

Trade up. Get your players at 1+2 and then shop 10+11 for the now and future.

I think they will do the right thing. I just hope either saints or tigers have a good crack and not be stitched up. I don’t care for Melbourne. But saints on the other hand I don’t dislike them. Family friend is best mates with way to many of the boys at the club. All good people.

I think they will do the right thing. I just hope either saints or tigers have a good crack and not be stitched up. I don’t care for Melbourne. But saints on the other hand I don’t dislike them. Family friend is best mates with way to many of the boys at the club. All good people.
I have little interest in burning currency to trade up.

I do however have an interest in trading our F1 into this draft - I’d love to pry P11 from your hands.

The problem with Smilie for me was watching him, he often gets caught but breaks tackles due to his size. That advantage isn't going to be there in the big league. Langford looks like a player who has always been a bit slow off the mark so has developed his game to make up for it.

I feel like Smilie could be an absolute star or absolute spud. Langford looks a lot more like a safe bet with potentially a bit lower ceiling.
Its not even the speed issue with Lnagford, its does he have enough weapons, A lot of his higher disposal games I feel that his actual damage per possession is very low or non existant due to being unable to get a clean break away, weather it be due to spped, strength, or finding time and space alah (Clark, Pendles, etc etc)

I suspect any trade between the Tigers and North will include future picks. The Tigers will be keen to move one or two of their early second rounders into next year. Also, 6 and 10 for 2 just won’t happen. The Tigers ain’t paying that ridiculous price. I’d say it’ll be something like 6, 23 and 24 for 2 and future second rounder. North will be keen to have 3 decent selections in this years draft. The Tigers hit this years draft with 1, 2, 10, 11, 18 and 20. That’s a great hand.

Herald Sun draft expert Chris Cavanagh suggests midfielders Josh Smillie, Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid will be in the mix at that time, and if they want a key position player, Harry Armstrong (forward) and Luke Trainor (defender) will be the two main options.
The Saints also have access to two good Next Generation Academy players later in the draft, defenders Adrian Cole and Lennox Hofmann, so it looms as a huge draft haul.
But success and failure sits with picks No. 7 and No. 8 and clearly the pressure is on Simon Dalrymple, the former Bulldogs and Swans recruiter, to nail the selections in his first time at bat at the Saints.
“We are definitely going to the draft,’’ Saints football boss David Misson said.
“Obviously some stuff can happen right up to – and on – draft night in regards to picks, but we’re committed to going to the draft to bring in young talent.’’
Misson baulked at the obvious suggestion the Saints would target midfield talent.
We’ll just take the best players with the picks,’’ he said. “I couldn’t stand here and say we’re only going to pick mids, we’ll see what players are there and we’ll take the best.’’

Thanks for posting - I avoided that article like the plague thinking it would be full length stick the boots in.

A couple of guns this year plus LDU at $2.5M in year 1 to price everyone out and then a nice mix of Allen’s snakes after that.

Cooking

We would, as would every other club put time into every first round prospect. But as I said the only club linked so far inside the 10 is north. With being able to trade future picks if we have someone rated in our top 5 and he slips to say pick 18 we would trade out our first round of next years for example. Like sos did with stocker those years back
Don’t disagree - I was just relaying what has been written

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for posting - I avoided that article like the plague thinking it would be full length stick the boots in.

A couple of guns this year plus LDU at $2.5M in year 1 to price everyone out and then a nice mix of Allen’s snakes after that.

Cooking
Was more posting for the bolded.

Wondering how truthful it was or if it was posturing.

Imagine walking out with Tauru & Armstrong/Trainor as P7 & 8

I’d also absolutely keep 10 and 11. Gives you flexibility to move up if a surprise emerges, otherwise pick the eyes out of the draft and trade out 1 (maybe 2) in the 20s where you’ll get a king’s ransom.

But do the right thing and give us 10 or 11 for 32 and a mid to late 60s pick and we’ll throw in a F4.

Was more posting for the bolded.

Wondering how truthful it was or if it was posturing.

Imagine walking out with Tauru & Armstrong/Trainor as P7 & 8
And a small tagger at 27, an overweight ruck at 47, and a HBF at 103. We can squeeze in 103 because we traded 7 into next year (Brisbane’s F2).

Herald Sun draft expert Chris Cavanagh suggests midfielders Josh Smillie, Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid will be in the mix at that time, and if they want a key position player, Harry Armstrong (forward) and Luke Trainor (defender) will be the two main options.
The Saints also have access to two good Next Generation Academy players later in the draft, defenders Adrian Cole and Lennox Hofmann, so it looms as a huge draft haul.
But success and failure sits with picks No. 7 and No. 8 and clearly the pressure is on Simon Dalrymple, the former Bulldogs and Swans recruiter, to nail the selections in his first time at bat at the Saints.
“We are definitely going to the draft,’’ Saints football boss David Misson said.
“Obviously some stuff can happen right up to – and on – draft night in regards to picks, but we’re committed to going to the draft to bring in young talent.’’
Misson baulked at the obvious suggestion the Saints would target midfield talent.
We’ll just take the best players with the picks,’’ he said. “I couldn’t stand here and say we’re only going to pick mids, we’ll see what players are there and we’ll take the best.’’

So long as we get ONE of the top 7 mids, I'm fine with us using 8 on a player that's not a mid if we think he's best available.

Pick 7: Smillie/Langford/Smith/Draper/Reid
Pick 8: Tauru/Trainor

The North Melbourne draft thread has been illuminating.

As Significant has said, there's no guarantee that they will go for a key position player, and they indeed prefer to just grab the best available player at 2, which would be pretty disappointing. Frankly, I think that would be a dumb move from the kangaroos, but hey, it's their list, their future.

But it would leave us with no choice out of the top 6 midfielders. As far as key position players, a lot of them are still talking about grabbing the sliding Luke Trainor, who's from an intergenerational kangaroo family, but they still need to find that pick to get him with - At the moment, they don't have anything until pick 62 or something.

I don't know what they will do, but I wonder if SOS is considering pulling the trigger on a trade up to 2 with our 8 and 32.
Wouldn't even get close, he'd suggest that, North would laugh and suggest 7 and 8, then we'd laugh and leave.

So long as we get ONE of the top 7 mids, I'm fine with us using 8 on a player that's not a mid if we think he's best available.

It will be about timing for us as there is no doubt Melbourne & Richmond would prefer to use later picks (9,10,11) on KPP. It will be important we give the impression we are going to take a KPP at pick #8, to make North, Melbourne and Richmond worry about losing the player they are keen on. Obviously we need at least one KPP to be taken before our picks for one of the elite mids to slide. Then on the night we have the option of splitting the pick if another highly rated mid/player is not available at pick #8.

If you really really really want to end up with a "good" mid, best to draft two.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back