2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

Barrels Cal reckons we will draft Gerreyn with Pick 32. Thoughts?
gordon ramsay fox GIF by Hell's Kitchen

My tip is we’ll draft Smillie & Travaglia with #7 & 8, Cole and Hoffman as NGA’s late…pick #32 will be interesting, maybe Noah Mraz, tall defender?
So we have enough space to take 47 as well, then at least two of the NGA/FS?

Seems such a waste in this draft to take just 3 picks outside of our boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably depends where a bid for Cole comes in. My guess is late 30s to early 40s, which would use our pick 47.
I think there’s a chance we try to trade our future first for a mid teens pick. Get 3 of the first 15, take Cole, Hofman, Peckett later.

I've seen him listed at 194cm, 195cm, and 196cm.

How tall is he actually?

Cos 194cm is a little short for a KPD in the modern game, unless they're absolutely exceptional.
At the Combine he was measured at 194.3cm!

What’s the wind up here - you love him or hate him?
I'm irrationally irked by people confusing rankings and form guides as phantom drafts.

Significant knows this, and is being a turd.

My tip is we’ll draft Smillie & Travaglia with #7 & 8, Cole and Hoffman as NGA’s late…pick #32 will be interesting, maybe Noah Mraz, tall defender?

They would be a great get - I love Langford but Im now leaning more towards Smillie as I feel he has more growth potential. Travaglia is an elite back flanker, with potential to play higher, above all he is a competitive beast. Mraz is so versatile as a key defender who can ruck & play forward similiarly to Blicavs. He is someone who could fill that hole filler role, similiar to way Scott uses Blicavs.

My only concern with taking Travaglia is list balance, are we getting too many back flankers on our list and will it stunt players development as a result of a lack of opportunity? We might be worried about losing NAS next year, if so Travaglia makes more sense. There is plenty of noise about the SA clubs sniffing around.

Plus we still need to find a mature ruckman and if we rate Blakiston I cant see him getting through to the rookie draft with Geelong lurking with late picks. Cole & Hofmann are self explanatory hopefully they are not bid on too early! Its going to be a balancing act and SOS, Gubby & Dalrymple are going to have be well prepared come the draft/s. It might be that we have to trade quite a few of our future picks, to fill our list needs.

Last edited:
Barrels Cal reckons we will draft Gerreyn with Pick 32. Thoughts?

Gerreyn is a ripper of a kid and plays with that real alpha male attitude, he has the frame to become a real weapon at some stage. For a kid his size he is a great kick on both sides and could play that key forward/ruck role. Another player similiarly to him in the draft is Thomas Sims. These type of players that can genuinely hold down full forward or a ruckman are quite rare. I would be happy with either....

I actually have a feeling if Lalor and FoS are off the board they could even go for Tarau. McGoverns hamstrings are made of tissue paper and they told Lewis Young to look elsewhere. Probably very wrong with that prediction but to me it makes sense

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine the melts when they pay up big time for pick 3, only to skip a mid. That would be all time, but 0 chance of happening.

As I've previously said, The Da Vinci code was one of my favourite books when I was younger. Only problem is that I have a irrational fear of albinos now, I'm not sure if that's tarnishing my thoughts on Travaglia.

Anyway... in all seriousness the guy looks to be a gun. There should be teams clamouring over each other to draft him within the top 10. I just think if we take a 187cm half back with a top 10 pick in this draft I might combust.

The numbers appear to be working against taking Elwood Peckett this year. I wonder if the club can make an arrangement for him to play with Sandringham next year and take him as a Father Son at years end. He will most likely spend the year at Sandi even if he was listed, the only danger is he has a really solid year and then draws a bid in next years draft.

IMO best case North take Tarau at 6 and we have 2 of Smillie/Langford/Reid to build our midfield on however if that doesn't happen and only one of those 3 is available at 7 who do we want at 8. Seems there are a couple of ways to go.

1. The next bunch of guys who could become midfielders
  • Travaglia - Standout HB possible he could move to midfield agile running machine out of HB
  • Lindsay - HB Wing with more mid credentials than other 2 very good kick strong up and back runner Darcy Wilson without the extreme running ability but a better kick.
  • Hotton - Fast can find the footy has lots of tricks and kicks goals - Is probably more forward than mid, ACL and very limited game time to assess

2. The Battle Replacement
  • Tarau - Athletic freak, brave and great in the air - Suspect kick and decision maker
  • Trainor - Elite user and interceptor controls the backline - Plays loose backs himself to read the play better than his opponent one on one questionable
NOTE: On Trainor and the Concussion this seems like it was a complete beat up possibly started by a club hoping he would slide. He doesn't even believe he was concussed, has no history of concussion, and is furious at all the misinformation impacting his draft position.

3. The short full forward who inexplicably multiple Bigfooty phantoms keep saying we need
  • Armstrong - Takes marks and kicks goals in big moments - Undersized by todays standards doesn't get up the ground much inconsistent output
Personally I really like Travaglia from the first group he seems to have gone off the boil on the hype train but he fits Ross's game plan perfectly and I think has the highest upside/chance of being elite. Trainor is my pick of the second group he just screams leader and that intercepting distributor role is critical in todays footy (Cole and Hoffman can do the lockdown roles).

I am OK with either of them.

Do not want Armstrong is this years Matt Jefferson had a few big moments in one game we all watched.
Don't think Lindsay ends up as a centre square mid and we have his skill set covered already
Tarau is athlete first and has a big upside I just prefer the footballer in Trainor
Hotton is just too many questions at 8

Probably depends where a bid for Cole comes in. My guess is late 30s to early 40s, which would use our pick 47.
I think there’s a chance we try to trade our future first for a mid teens pick. Get 3 of the first 15, take Cole, Hofman, Peckett later.
Both 32 & 47 should move up the (live selection) board on draft night. I always thought 47 would have to be used on Cole but I don't think he'll be bid on once picks before 47 are absorbed.

Having said that, part of me is expecting SOS to move our picks around a bit on draft night. For no other reason other than its just a SOS thing to do.

Let’s say internally we rate 7 mids 1-7 and hypothetically don’t see someone like Reid making it due to size /speed as an example (not my view) so let’s say we rate him at say 16 on our list.

The next ranked players we have are Tauru and Travaglia at 8 and 9 and then say Armstrong at 10, then we have a line where we rate any other player much lower than this tier of player.

So obviously we take one of them as they are in our top tier and then we look to trade 8 out and bundle for couple later picks but no strong takers or best offers are more future pick oriented.

So we take the next best and end up with Travaglia and Tauru with our 2 first rounders.

Using only memes and gifs, post your response to this hypothetical

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back