2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
IMO best case North take Tarau at 6 and we have 2 of Smillie/Langford/Reid to build our midfield on however if that doesn't happen and only one of those 3 is available at 7 who do we want at 8. Seems there are a couple of ways to go.

1. The next bunch of guys who could become midfielders
  • Travaglia - Standout HB possible he could move to midfield agile running machine out of HB
  • Lindsay - HB Wing with more mid credentials than other 2 very good kick strong up and back runner Darcy Wilson without the extreme running ability but a better kick.
  • Hotton - Fast can find the footy has lots of tricks and kicks goals - Is probably more forward than mid, ACL and very limited game time to assess

2. The Battle Replacement
  • Tarau - Athletic freak, brave and great in the air - Suspect kick and decision maker
  • Trainor - Elite user and interceptor controls the backline - Plays loose backs himself to read the play better than his opponent one on one questionable
NOTE: On Trainor and the Concussion this seems like it was a complete beat up possibly started by a club hoping he would slide. He doesn't even believe he was concussed, has no history of concussion, and is furious at all the misinformation impacting his draft position.

3. The short full forward who inexplicably multiple Bigfooty phantoms keep saying we need
  • Armstrong - Takes marks and kicks goals in big moments - Undersized by todays standards doesn't get up the ground much inconsistent output
Personally I really like Travaglia from the first group he seems to have gone off the boil on the hype train but he fits Ross's game plan perfectly and I think has the highest upside/chance of being elite. Trainor is my pick of the second group he just screams leader and that intercepting distributor role is critical in todays footy (Cole and Hoffman can do the lockdown roles).

I am OK with either of them.

Do not want Armstrong is this years Matt Jefferson had a few big moments in one game we all watched.
Don't think Lindsay ends up as a centre square mid and we have his skill set covered already
Tarau is athlete first and has a big upside I just prefer the footballer in Trainor
Hotton is just too many questions at 8
As far as I know X.Lindsay is very much an inside/outside mid with elite skills.

He got pushed to wing/hb during the Champs but his DNA is pure midfielder.

I'd be extremely happy with a BIG/small combo.

Smilie/Lindsay
Smilie/Reid
Langford/Lindsay
Langford/Reid.

Would tick a hell of a lot of boxes IMO.

If we snag another pick then I have a feeling that Hotton could be a fantastic option. Talent unquestionable.

Mangus Where does this Trainor info come from that you speak of. It's the first I've heard/read about him for a long time.
From a source close to him reflects his view of commentary around it, apart from my own speculation on the source of the commentary being driven by a club hoping he would slide.

Interestingly, his Reach was measured at 262, 2nd only to Alex Dodson at 265!!

Its something that is not considered often enough with talls. So many talls have remarkable height but only average reach. Reach and leap are the reasons why a lot of under sized players can play tall and doing so gives them the edge in mobility against much taller opponents. People might remember Darryl White he was in todays game a medium sized player, but his reach and leap were huge and it allowed him to play much taller than his height.

Hence Cole is more than tall enough to play a key defender role, he will just need a lot of work on his intercept and offensive game. He has the physical attributes to become a very good player if he can develop that side of his game and play with a lot more dare and confidence.

IMO best case North take Tarau at 6 and we have 2 of Smillie/Langford/Reid to build our midfield on however if that doesn't happen and only one of those 3 is available at 7 who do we want at 8. Seems there are a couple of ways to go.

• Travaglia - Standout HB possible he could move to midfield agile running machine out of HB
  • Lindsay - HB Wing with more mid credentials than other 2 very good kick strong up and back runner Darcy Wilson without the extreme running ability but a better kick.
  • Hotton - Fast can find the footy has lots of tricks and kicks goals - Is probably more forward than mid, ACL and very limited game time to assess

• Tarau - Athletic freak, brave and great in the air - Suspect kick and decision maker
  • Trainor - Elite user and interceptor controls the backline - Plays loose backs himself to read the play better than his opponent one on one questionable
NOTE: On Trainor and the Concussion this seems like it was a complete beat up possibly started by a club hoping he would slide. He doesn't even believe he was concussed, has no history of concussion, and is furious at all the misinformation impacting his draft position.

3. The short full forward who inexplicably multiple Bigfooty phantoms keep saying we need
  • Armstrong - Takes marks and kicks goals in big moments - Undersized by todays standards doesn't get up the ground much inconsistent output
Personally I really like Travaglia from the first group he seems to have gone off the boil on the hype train but he fits Ross's game plan perfectly and I think has the highest upside/chance of being elite. Trainor is my pick of the second group he just screams leader and that intercepting distributor role is critical in todays footy (Cole and Hoffman can do the lockdown roles).

Do not want Armstrong is this years Matt Jefferson had a few big moments in one game we all watched.
Don't think Lindsay ends up as a centre square mid and we have his skill set covered already
Tarau is athlete first and has a big upside I just prefer the footballer in Trainor

Wow thats dirty pool - your note re Trainor and the media/clubs role in his sliding down draft boards is pretty damning. The kid has every reason to be filthy, that type of misinformation could be really damaging to a kids hopes. He was rated ahead of Tauru before the reported concussion and previous episodes were claimed. Im sure most clubs that are interested have spoken to him, his medical team and the Dragons, of which we are in the perfect position to have the inside knowledge on the kids medical history.

I agree with your assessment if concussion is not a concern, I would have him rated as the highest KPP in the draft and would be happy to take him at pick #8. Your assessment of Armstrong is a bit harsh but I wouldnt rate him that far ahead of Shanahan and Jack Whitlock. With Shanahan's output for Essendon in the VFL he probably deserves to be rated ahead of Armstrong. Perhaps that Armstrong played in the Coates League GF he is more in peoples front of mind than others.

Last edited:
Word is Melbourne are happy with where their picks sit

It might be one of those drafts where having picks 7 & 8 is better than 5 & 9.

But that won’t be known until after the draft.

Personally I’d prefer 7 & 8 if North draft a tall. But if we intend to split pick 8 then 5 & 9 would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7/8 + F1 for 10+11 appeal to anyone?

I’ve heard something like this has been thrown up. But not sure which side has proposed it or what the likelihood is

I assume you mean #7 or #8 plus F1 for #10 & #11, if so I think depending who is is available at #8 it would be a definite yes from me. Getting another early pick a couple later than #8 would be gold IMO.

Richmond are obviously really keen on a player (KPP) who they want to get ahead of Melbourne for. We would subsequently know who that is and make a pretty good call on who Melbourne might be keen on, then use picks 10 & 11 to grab a couple of specials. It might mean we get another midfielder or players like Travaglia & Trainor at 10 & 11.

I wonder if we could get a later future pick or pick swap thrown in to sweeten the deal?

If the concussions are ticked off as a non-issue then we definitely get Trainor at Pick 8. I think on talent he is better than Tauru.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not directly questioning his doctors but some doctor out there also ticked off McCartin as fine after his issues. The risk is there regardless.

A club would need big balls to take someone who already has a concussion history with a top 10 pick,

I’ve heard something like this has been thrown up. But not sure which side has proposed it or what the likelihood is
So if Richmond and North deal lets say 2 for 6 and 18

Richmond has 1+2+10+11+20+23+24

We offer 8 + F1 for 10+11

Richmond with 1+2+8+20+23+24

their F1 (probably pick 1 next season) our F1 (possibly top 10 hope not but realistic)

Saints 7+10+11+32+47 less F1

Maybe live trading after we see what is available when out turn is up for 7

If all the mids are gone I could see us taking Trav.

Our best form was with Sinc & Nas both in the D50 so, thinking mid-long term, Trav & Nas makes sense.

We also keep talking about trading back.

Not sure GWS would do it for 8. If anything they would want 7 to grab the last of the 'top' mids. Gut feel is they will be pretty happy adding depth with their picks.

The Swans could be interesting? I don't think their 2 picks would be enough but if they added a F1st?

Would you take 19, 22 & F1st for 8 + F3rd?

Walk out of the draft with:

7: Best Mid
19: Jobe Shanahan
22: Haynes/Dattoli/Gross
F1st

That would probably lock in Hammer at FB with Shan/Keeler getting a crack in the forward line with Sharman & King if we want to play 3 talls.

I wouldn't make the call until pick 7 on draft night with a trade like that.

The assumption is that Richmond want someone at 8 who they think will be gone by 9. Probably a tall after the take FOS & Lalor with 1/2.

The only issue is that once the Dees lose out on that tall to Richmond, do they then get the mid we want? Just a consideration.

Imagine we just keep pushing back though.

8 & F1 for 10 & 11, pick @ 10, trade 11 & 47 for 15 & 16, pick @ 15, trade 16 & 32 for 19 & 22. Trade 22 for 29 & 36.

End result, F1, 8, 32, 47 for 10, 15, 19, 29 & 36. 36 will come in meaning close enough to 6 pick in the top 30 in the, wait for it..... SUUUPER DRAAAAAFT!

That's some big brain shit right there!

As a live trade after we know the top 6, absolutely

If we don’t have a mid available at 8 then it’s great value. Rather than taking just a Travaglia/Lindsay, we could take Travaglia/Lindsay + Trainor/Hotton/Allan/Berry

Smillie at 13! Wtf ?!

Langford and Travaglia are typical Ross Lyon players but surely we can’t pass on the contested bull who’d free up Pou on the outside?

I don’t want to lampoon the lad that did this, but this mock is a shocker.

He suggests Tigers will trade 6, 10 & 11 for North’s pick 2 & F1. Goodness me. North’s rebuild finishes while Richmond trade their draft capital into next year.

Saints overlook Smilie?

These things have to be realistic.

Split pick 8 if all the good mids are gone. I’m sure that would happen.

8, 32 & F2 for 15, 16 & 21.

Or 8 & 32 for 15 & 16.

Depending on available list spots.

Really not keen to trade the F1 possibly due to innate pessimism, but I am assuming we will be playing even more kids next year and I expect GC and Melb and Adelaide to be pushing up the ladder even North a bit. Essendon are pretty ordinary Rich may not win a game and WC will continue to flounder but other than that there will be a lot of good teams next year and we could be lower than this year. 8+4/5 for 10+11 would haunt us I suspect.

I expect that next year will likely have an elite top end of the draft like every other year just perhaps not the depth if we think we are a Top 8 team next year then trade the F1 if not hold IMO

Also would take the fun out of following next years draft

Both 32 & 47 should move up the (live selection) board on draft night. I always thought 47 would have to be used on Cole but I don't think he'll be bid on once picks before 47 are absorbed.

Having said that, part of me is expecting SOS to move our picks around a bit on draft night. For no other reason other than its just a SOS thing to do.

32 will probably be between 29 and 32.

47 will probably be between 39 and 41.

I don’t want to lampoon the lad that did this, but this mock is a shocker.

He suggests Tigers will trade 6, 10 & 11 for North’s pick 2 & F1. Goodness me. North’s rebuild finishes while Richmond trade their draft capital into next year.

Saints overlook Smilie?

These things have to be realistic.

I'm actually pretty impartial to Jesse's content most of the time, and he clearly puts in a lot of effort with consistent content, but when he extends out of the West Coast / WA chat (he's a WCE fan) and speculates about other clubs, he's mostly just dead wrong.

I also suspect he deliberately does his mock drafts with a bit of colour to create controversy / attention. From memory his one a month ago had FOS falling to us at pick 7 ...

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back