2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Nope. We don't win a flag with McCrae, Windy, Steele, Henry, Pou, Dow as our core mids. We probably don't compete top 4. And fixing that is not a matter of bring one promising mid in per year.

Pick 2 mids and there is always a risk that they don't come on. But if they do, you have changed the game and Saints have to take that chance.

I have faith in Lyons defensive structures that he can make a good defensive unit out of B grade talent, he has done it again and again. What he can't paper over is a B grade midfield.
No having a go at you personally but the idea that its only mids mids mids and only mids that count towards winning premierships is a bit of a furphy.

Everyone was wetting themselves about the quality of Sydney and Port midfields, their scoring capacity, their speed, etc etc. but in the end what was proved was that if don't also have a decent functional fwd and backhalf, having a gun midfield is meaningless.

Defensively we are strong, our fwd half is potentially as good as any in the league and while I definitely agree our midfield needs to improve, with Macrae coming in, Pou continues playing at the level he played twards the end of the year, Henry/Windy fit for a full year, I don't think we are as far of Top 4 contention as many think.

Add to that a really strong draft hand this year which hopefully we end up nailing quality additional talent.

So if all the projected top midfielders are gone by pick 8, you would rather we pick a mid from the next rung down over a defender we theoretically rank as a better talent?

Everything I have seen about this draft says there are solid mids all the way to pick 20+. Personally, I do not see the need for a defender this year, there are players on the list that need to be tested and I have faith that a couple of them will develop into solid defenders. If there was a standout key forward it may be a bit different but don't see any in this draft.

Our need is deeper, more talented mids. They win you games, they are easier to trade and harder to get. we are very unlikely to have 2 picks in the top 10 again anytime soon. My view is the club should take a chance and address the need. From what I hear, the club is of the same mind.

Everything I have seen about this draft says there are solid mids all the way to pick 20+. Personally, I do not see the need for a defender this year, there are players on the list that need to be tested and I have faith that a couple of them will develop into solid defenders. If there was a standout key forward it may be a bit different but don't see any in this draft.

Our need is deeper, more talented mids. They win you games, they are easier to trade and harder to get. we are very unlikely to have 2 picks in the top 10 again anytime soon. My view is the club should take a chance and address the need. From what I hear, the club is of the same mind.
Isn't our problem that 'solid' isnt enough? We should be aiming higher at pick 8 than just drafting another solid mid.

A-graders win games. Doesnt matter what position they play, having as many A graders on the field as possible is what we need to be aiming for. If we rank a defender or forward higher than a midfielder at pick 8, we should be taking the player we rate higher. Our list, overall, isn't great enough to be passing over talent just so we can say we drafted two midfielders.

For all the passionate opinions on this forum, I just don't think Cole's kicking action is that bad?

Besides, all that matters is where the ball ends up. Mitchell Marsh has the worst batting technique in Australian first class cricket. Still goes alright.

I’ve heard all sorts of nasty views on here, but kicking Bison down is the worst. The worst.

(Kidding)

No having a go at you personally but the idea that its only mids mids mids and only mids that count towards winning premierships is a bit of a furphy.

Everyone was wetting themselves about the quality of Sydney and Port midfields, their scoring capacity, their speed, etc etc. but in the end what was proved was that if don't also have a decent functional fwd and backhalf, having a gun midfield is meaningless.

Defensively we are strong, our fwd half is potentially as good as any in the league and while I definitely agree our midfield needs to improve, with Macrae coming in, Pou continues playing at the level he played twards the end of the year, Henry/Windy fit for a full year, I don't think we are as far of Top 4 contention as many think.

Add to that a really strong draft hand this year which hopefully we end up nailing quality additional talent.
I agree that you need a balance across the ground to win, but let’s be honest - Sydney lost that grand final in the midfield.

If Heeney Warner Gulden etc all turn up and don’t get smashed by Ashcroft Neale McCluggage Dunkley then it would be a very different story.

Also completely different to our circumstances, where we currently have had the corpse of Jack Steele (and that’s about it) carrying our midfield

Thanks for posting that. Not sure what people are talking about if they're criticising him. The ball travels from his boot directly to it's intended target. I thought that was the point of the game??
1. It’s highlights
2. That will come under even more pressure at League level.
3. Even as highlights did you see that last kick?

Hopefully he makes it, but no one with functioning eyes could think that technique is not below par.

So if all the projected top midfielders are gone by pick 8, you would rather we pick a mid from the next rung down over a defender we theoretically rank as a better talent?
one better ranked defender,or another mid next level down,combined with another very good player,most likely a non mid,arguments to be made either way,same as saying do you want harley reid?or mccercher and wilson/windsor/walter/watson/sanders?or back in the day do you want to be brad pitt and have jolie,or george clooney and have any woman between #2 and infinity?im clooney

personally im going the 2 bites,but if tauro armstrong or trainor go in the first 6 live picks,then problem solved,we get 2 of fos lalor smilie langford smith draper reid and its not an issue

Nope. We don't win a flag with McCrae, Windy, Steele, Henry, Pou, Dow as our core mids. We probably don't compete top 4. And fixing that is not a matter of bring one promising mid in per year.

Pick 2 mids and there is always a risk that they don't come on. But if they do, you have changed the game and Saints have to take that chance.

I have faith in Lyons defensive structures that he can make a good defensive unit out of B grade talent, he has done it again and again. What he can't paper over is a B grade midfield.

Phillipou becomes our absolute top flight mid supported by Macrae and Steele even and that is right up there. That's enough quality to compete and good depth in Dow, Clark, Jones, Garcia etc. Our strength is the outside run with Henry, Wilson, Hill and Wood. If we had Macrae this year we probably play finals. Potentially even if Dow and Henry stay fit we are competitive.

Phillipou becomes our absolute top flight mid supported by Macrae and Steele even and that is right up there. That's enough quality to compete and good depth in Dow, Clark, Jones, Garcia etc.

Sorry but that is an absolute bog ordinary midfield. Like everyone, I desperately hope Pou (a) becomes the player we want him to become and (b) stays at the Saints. But as we sit today, he has a couple of very good games versus a generally ordinary year.

Steele - I don't know, give him another year, two at A grade level? That might be hoping for too much.
McCrae - probably similar comment as above. Neither of them are in the top 20 mids in the AFL - is Steele in top 30? Probably still hanging in there.
Dow, Clark - just no. Can do a job but not much more.
Garcia - who knows, I hope so.
Jones - if we get anoter 20 games out of him he will be batting above career average.

So as we sit today, it is likely the next time we should be challenging - maybe 26 (?) we will have midfield led by Pou and supported by Windy, a 31 year old Steele and a 33 year old McCrae and hopefully Garcia has come on. Dark nights ahead.

That is my argument to stay focussed and target the best mids available at our picks this year. Hopefully we pluck a couple and go hard at a free agent next year.

equally, we don’t compete top 4 with Doug Wilkie Cordy McLennan Arie Caminiti as our core key defenders. That is not a B grade crop

You have to argue it both ways, you can’t just focus on the shortfalls of the midfield and conclude that it’s the biggest problem without even considering the other lines

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but that is an absolute bog ordinary midfield. Like everyone, I desperately hope Pou (a) becomes the player we want him to become and (b) stays at the Saints. But as we sit today, he has a couple of very good games versus a generally ordinary year.

Steele - I don't know, give him another year, two at A grade level? That might be hoping for too much.
McCrae - probably similar comment as above. Neither of them are in the top 20 mids in the AFL - is Steele in top 30? Probably still hanging in there.
Dow, Clark - just no. Can do a job but not much more.
Garcia - who knows, I hope so.
Jones - if we get anoter 20 games out of him he will be batting above career average.

So as we sit today, it is likely the next time we should be challenging - maybe 26 (?) we will have midfield led by Pou and supported by Windy, a 31 year old Steele and a 33 year old McCrae and hopefully Garcia has come on. Dark nights ahead.

That is my argument to stay focussed and target the best mids available at our picks this year. Hopefully we pluck a couple and go hard at a free agent next year.
Dow and Clark both had heavily injury-interrupted years. Not the time to write them off yet

One of them could easily turn it around and become a B-grader. They both have attributes, just need continuity

equally, we don’t compete top 4 with Doug Wilkie Cordy McLennan Arie Caminiti as our core key defenders. That is not a B grade crop

You have to argue it both ways, you can’t just focus on the shortfalls of the midfield and conclude that it’s the biggest problem without even considering the other lines

Defenders are a lot easier to replace than TOP midfielders. It’s not the same argument.

If 2 top mids are available at our picks and we don’t pick them, we’re setting ourselves up for failure.

Went within an inch with Gilbert, Dawson, Blake, Gwilt. Our current back 6 (?) - NWM, Sinclair, Howard, Wilkie, Caminiti, Arie is solid, has some star factor and it is not a big leap to say it could remain our strength. We have lost one player from a backline that for 2 years has been one of the stingiest in the AFL. That player was in and out of team until mid 23.

Would a ready made KPD be welcome? for sure but it is not as critical as getting midfield depth and quality.

Defenders are a lot easier to replace than TOP midfielders. It’s not the same argument.

If 2 top mids are available at our picks and we don’t pick them, we’re setting ourselves up for failure.
Hope you’re right but Hawthorn just paid 900k for B-grader Battle, it’s not as easy as has been previously

I agree pick 2 top mids if available, but if Tauru is available and we take someone like Reid over him I’ll be annoyed

Went within an inch with Gilbert, Dawson, Blake, Gwilt. Our current back 6 (?) - NWM, Sinclair, Howard, Wilkie, Caminiti, Arie is solid, has some star factor and it is not a big leap to say it could remain our strength. We have lost one player from a backline that for 2 years has been one of the stingiest in the AFL. That player was in and out of team until mid 23.

Would a ready made KPD be welcome? for sure but it is not as critical as getting midfield depth and quality.
Caminiti has played one half of football in defence, as if you’re comparing him to the GF backline. Same for Arie who has shown he is a long way off being a genuine key defender - more a Grant Birchall

You say we only lost one member of the backline as if he was a depth rotation player. Battle isn’t A-grade, but he fits our system sooo well and players of his type and quality are relatively rare, it’ll be hard to find a replacement without having to make changes to the structure to fit a new set of attributes in

Doug Wilkie Cordy are the only ones with runs on the board and we have no youngsters that look like replacing any of them in the near future. We are relying heavily on an NGA kid who is yet to even be drafted

1. It’s highlights
2. That will come under even more pressure at League level.
3. Even as highlights did you see that last kick?

Hopefully he makes it, but no one with functioning eyes could think that technique is not below par.

He will get drafted but gees but he has a mountain of work to do!

Ball drop - kicking action
Marking - intercept contested marking
Reading the play - he is robotic in his reactions
Remaining involved and fighting for the ball when it is on the ground
Winning the ball and remaining engaged in play

I have expressed concerns about the way he plays and his kicking is a part of that. But its not something that is a major problem because he hardly touches the ball, and is not often bursting out of defence expecting lace out kicks. That recent highlight packages are possibly every possession he had in the U18 championships.

I should temper this with he is an excellent stopper and he has the physical traits to become a good player, I would however have a lot of key defenders in the draft class ahead of him. If a club bids on him early in the draft it will be just to make us use our points/picks earlier than we hoped - I struggle to believe anyone would take him higher than #45. If he was bid on before our 2nd round pick I would seriously consider not matching the bid.

Last edited:
I agree that you need a balance across the ground to win, but let’s be honest - Sydney lost that grand final in the midfield.

If Heeney Warner Gulden etc all turn up and don’t get smashed by Ashcroft Neale McCluggage Dunkley then it would be a very different story.

Also completely different to our circumstances, where we currently have had the corpse of Jack Steele (and that’s about it) carrying our midfield
Clearances 34 to 33 Sydney

Inside 50's 51 to 49 Brisbane

I 50 Efficiency Brisbane 67% Sydney 38%

Marks inside 50 Brisbane 22 Sydney 9

Total scored by Amartey, McLean and McDonald combined 0 goals 1 behind

Couldn't take a mark inside and and when the ball went to ground their pressure inside 50 was abysmal.

I think the right decision would need to be trading down for multiple picks - like GWS and getting the best of both worlds. (Or attempting too)

Hope you’re right but Hawthorn just paid 900k for B-grader Battle, it’s not as easy as has been previously

I agree pick 2 top mids if available, but if Tauru is available and we take someone like Reid over him I’ll be annoyed

That kinda makes my point for me. Hawks rocket up to finals and decide they need a solid defender and pick one up with $$ only.

I think the right decision would need to be trading down for multiple picks - like GWS and getting the best of both worlds. (Or attempting too)
If we rate Tauru (or someone else) as top 8 or higher then surely the right decision is to take him?

Our young key position posts look a little bare to be honest. Tauru could be perfect for us.

Which ones would you say are genuine mids though?

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back