Kirk
Roberts
Mitchell
Co Warner
Lloyd
Vickery
Magor

Thats 11 names and we have moved on 2 guys
I mean "flankers" cover 6 spots in the 18 plus a bench spot, so you do need a few. We just seem allergic to playing some of these guys up forward so they jostle for 4-5 spots and invade others.

Can add Blakey to that list too.

As well as Jordon, we also turned Roberts into a half back / back pocket, thus pushing others further up the ground.

But yes, we agree, I want us to bring in a mature ager inside mid (have posted several names before). With or without Mitchell.

My point is that I think we thought we could, and have used, Corey and Mitchell as mids at least part time, but they just aren't good enough. We should have gone talls at both their respective picks (or earlier) in those drafts anyway, so not sure why I'm even defending Beatson's honour here.
It's partly Beatson not giving us enough contested types, but partly Horse as well. Look at team selection all year, the Club Champion night, etc. Not exactly a coach who is unhappy with having so many of the same outside, running types...

As well as Jordon, we also turned Roberts into a half back / back pocket, thus pushing others further up the ground.

But yes, we agree, I want us to bring in a mature ager inside mid (have posted several names before). With or without Mitchell.

My point is that I think we thought we could, and have used, Corey and Mitchell as mids at least part time, but they just aren't good enough. We should have gone talls at both their respective picks (or earlier) in those drafts anyway, so not sure why I'm even defending Beatson's honour here.
I don't think we need a mature ager. Mills and Adams can play in there now. Both are hard and establised inside mids. Sheldrick and Cleary are good enough to get games next year. Another young inside mid to take over in a couple of years will keep the production line going. All four of the above were not in the grand final.

It's partly Beatson not giving us enough contested types, but partly Horse as well. Look at team selection all year, the Club Champion night, etc. Not exactly a coach who is unhappy with having so many of the same outside, running types...
Yeah, where's the 2nd place given to gun inside mids that we used to do.

I don't think we need a mature ager. Mills and Adams can play in there now. Both are hard and establised inside mids. Sheldrick and Cleary are good enough to get games next year. Another young inside mid to take over in a couple of years will keep the production line going. All four of the above were not in the grand final.
I think it's fairly obvious from the time we got him and this year that I don't love Adams. He has a role to play as backup for Heeney, Rowbottom, Mills next year with Cleary the Sheldrick backup or alternate (and Warner to HF), but I don't think he's a main mid (nor does he have a 2nd position). Maybe sub at times.

Thinking more than a year ahead, I would prefer a younger mature ager, but 25/26 is more longevity than Adams, Mills, Heeney etc.

I think it's fairly obvious from the time we got him and this year that I don't love Adams. He has a role to play as backup for Heeney, Rowbottom, Mills next year with Cleary the Sheldrick backup or alternate, but I don't think he's a main mid. Maybe sub at times.

Thinking more than a year ahead, I would prefer a younger mature ager, but 25/26 is more longevity than Adams, Mills, Heeney etc.
I don't know why you don't like Adams. Through our long run of wins early in the season this year he was very good. Then when Parker and Mills came back it seemed to fall apart for some reason. I think 88s point of too many flankers is valid when we are playing Gulden and Warner and other flankers inside instead of the likes of Adams and Parker. Playing Parker forward in the GF, omitting Adams, Mills not available, Cleary not played forward. All these contested types were either not in the side or shunted away from where the contested ball is won.

Cleary IS NOT just a small forward , he was a mid coming through

Cleary plays mid through juniors every other game everywhere but plays 1 game forward and he’s a small forward lol

The bloke can play stunts forward but he’s a bonafide midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why you don't like Adams. Through our long run of wins early in the season this year he was very good. Then when Parker and Mills came back it seemed to fall apart for some reason. I think 88s point of too many flankers is valid when we are playing Gulden and Warner and other flankers inside instead of the likes of Adams and Parker. Playing Parker forward in the GF, omitting Adams, Mills not available, Cleary not played forward. All these contested types were either not in the side or shunted away from where the contested ball is won.
Nothing against Adams as a person.

But I've mentioned before, in the 4 games he attended 40% or more of CBs (which would put him at about #4 or #5 of mids) he had 11 clearances in total. He did have some good bursts in there in a few games where he was much more effective, which is why I think him as sub is ok, heck even tagging a slower mid in some games. Unfortunately he doesn't really have a 2nd position, not really done a lot up forward, so where does he play / what does he do outside of those bursts?

I think the preference is a fit Mills to improve clearances/contest and hopefully a fit Sheldrick who has a bit more of a burst to replace some of Warner's midfield time.

Bringing in a key defender, even one who can't quite make his teams best 22 would be helpful.

Sure but give us a name and don’t say Barass we tried he doesn’t want to come.

I think it's fairly obvious from the time we got him and this year that I don't love Adams. He has a role to play as backup for Heeney, Rowbottom, Mills next year with Cleary the Sheldrick backup or alternate (and Warner to HF), but I don't think he's a main mid (nor does he have a 2nd position). Maybe sub at times.

There is absolutely no guarantee Sheldrick gets selected.

Horse has proven himself to be loyal to favourites. And Sheldrick wasn’t in that bracket this year, even after the return from injury.

There’s every likelihood that he’s heading west at the end of 2025 (which would be a terrible outcome & I hope it doesn’t come to pass).

Our round 1 team could quite possibly be the GF team, with Mills in for Parker.

Nothing against Adams as a person.

But I've mentioned before, in the 4 games he attended 40% or more of CBs (which would put him at about #4 or #5 of mids) he had 11 clearances in total. He did have some good bursts in there in a few games, which is why I think him as sub is ok, heck even tagging a slower mid in some games. Unfortunately he doesn't really have a 2nd position, not really done a lot up forward, so where does he play / what does he do outside of those bursts?

I think the preference is a fit Mills to improve clearances/contest and hopefully a fit Sheldrick who has a bit more of a burst to replace some of Warner's midfield time.
Another big bodied midfielder would also be nice

Cleary plays mid through juniors every other game everywhere but plays 1 game forward and he’s a small forward lol

The bloke can play stunts forward but he’s a bonafide midfielder
McCartin was a forward.
Rampe was a mid.
Florent was a mid.
Blakey was a mid/fwd
Lloyd was a mid
Cunningham was a wing/half forward
Roberts was a mid.

Cleary has only played a few games but looks like he is adaptable and willing to plug gaps until he establishes himself in the side.

AFL is much different to juniors. Needs necessitate role changes.

Such a smug post from you.

McCartin was a forward.
Rampe was a mid.
Florent was a mid.
Blakey was a mid/fwd
Lloyd was a mid
Cunningham was a wing/half forward
Roberts was a mid.

Clear has only played a few games but looks like he is adaptable and willing to plug gaps until he establishes himself in the side.

AFL is much different to juniors. Needs necessitate role changes.

Such a smug post from you.
I think he may not be a 100% on baller in the future but still feel he is atleast 60%+ midfielder in his prime

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back