• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The other issue is that if we have academy players next year. We can’t collect a bunch of useless draft picks to get points like in the past.

Correct has to be in top 3 rounds that’s a good thing though. Bare in mind teams can trade 2 years in advance though

If anyone thinks 44 is way unders:
Bri’s x 2, GC and dons all have academy players and points in 30s that will be eaten up. I also think GC will need to trade in a couple of points from somewhere.

Pick 44 could be pick 39ish or higher. Not a bad pick in a deep draft. Especially if we trade up to pick 13 which is what I expect.

I actually don’t think we will trade up just feel other teams will have more lucrative offers.

You are right with 44 being let’s say 38 for arguments sake.

Yep and I get that logic and hope it's right.

Get I sound like a bad fan but I have some worries right now rightly or wrongly with that

- Concerned the tall forwards are as good as they good

- worried Mccartin might struggle now and Rampe older

- Lack a contested mid and don't think we will use Adams there/he won't fix it and not sure we can presume Sheldrick is the answer

- Warner has one foot out there door

- Grundy is past his peak

maybe all unfounded
Yep, I’m a little torn on this but I think one frustration is that it’s not uncommon for beaten Grand Finalists to consider that they need to at least tweak their player list by, perhaps, recruiting one or two missing pieces in order to change from a beaten GF team to a winning GF team. We obviously didn’t do that this year.

I guess the Swans could argue that they basically did that from a recruiting perspective last year by picking up Grundy, Adams and Jordan and that the most recent GF problems aren’t actually best fixed by throwing new players at it short term.

Last edited:
19, 22, 44 & 59. Nothing flash there but a deep draft apparently. Wouldn't be surprised if we just take them to the draft.

59 will be used to match Cochrane so rule that one out. We probably take 4 picks now including Cochrane

59 will be used to match Cochrane so rule that one out. We probably take 4 picks now including Cochrane
I'm fine with that. Clearly not much else we can do now other than trade into next year's draft, but I doubt we'll do that. Reckon we end up with a bunch of Hawthorn and Eagles picks next year anyway.

So what’s the logic from the Swans here, given we could have taken pick 62 for Parker only? Were we planning to delist Konstanty anyway and really wanted/needed pick 44 for some reason?

Granted any pick is a gamble, but ultimately wasting the Konstanty pick hurts a bit. It’s not massively bad but it does seem a little ‘unders’ to me.
My son has a wonderful phrase from his accounting courses - "sunk costs" - once you've paid it it is no longer relevant. Pick 20 or pick 55, so what? Yes, they're supposed to be different but they're all 18 year olds. Pig in a poke.
Now they're worth whatever someone will pay. We've done the best by both of them. Parker has 2 extra years he wouldn't otherwise have got and Konstanty has a contract instead of being delisted. We have dumped Parker's contract, freed up two list spots and gotten a pick that might or might not become a decent player.
All good.

What type of player is Cochrane?

Defender, in betweener I guess. I’m probably the worst to ask on him as I’ve been consistent I wouldn’t take him in the National draft but the club will at that stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fine with that. Clearly not much else we can do now other than trade into next year's draft, but I doubt we'll do that. Reckon we end up with a bunch of Hawthorn and Eagles picks next year anyway.

Hawthorn ones? Why? Who in the blue moon is going there?

I remember when we selected Konstanty I thought "I have not heard of him" and I had studied the first round of the draft quite a bit that season. I was right not to have heard of him.

Would be great if out recruiters stopped reaching for players with our first rounder.

It wasn’t a reach. If we didn’t take him GWS would have. He was always rated around the area we selected him

I think this trade is a necessary evil. He's been great for us over the years but I just feel like his best days are behind him and he was never going to win a flag with our current team structure. This belongs in the unpopular opinions but I always thought he was a bit fragile in the middle. Sure, he threw himself at the ball but he seemed to be easily repelled due to how small/skinny his frame is.

We've now cleared like... 800k of cap. Can re-sign players at will.

God knows I'm glad we made some kind of moves after the Grand Final. Worst thing we could have done is nothing.

Still feels like North ripped us off though. He's worth way more than 44.

19, 22, 44 & 59. Nothing flash there but a deep draft apparently. Wouldn't be surprised if we just take them to the draft.

I hope we do. Let's make the most of a deep draft and get multiple players in the door including, hopefully, a small forward and a KPP (there's a bunch of them that should be available around our picks - hopefully some that we rate).

I remember when we selected Konstanty I thought "I have not heard of him" and I had studied the first round of the draft quite a bit that season. I was right not to have heard of him.

Would be great if out recruiters stopped reaching for players with our first rounder.

Should have studied harder as there was a phantom draft with him going at pick 21. Not really a reach.

People celebrated Dalrymple’s appointment in 2018 but fair to say he didn’t deliver
He not only had a poor strike rate, he also drafted many of the same looking players, leaving the overall list unbalanced.

When he joined he talked up always choosing the best available, always. If you are going to do this (which I disagree with), you better have a good strike rate - but you are right, he didn’t deliver.

And I get it was a Covid impacted draft, but if you draft a small forward with your first pick and they fail to play a single game, then that is a huge fail - they should be ready made.

On the positive side, Chris Keanes (newly promoted list manager) has made a good start I would argue. He fought for pick 44 and only gave up Konstanty, who was surely going to be delisted anyway - 44 for Parker is what everyone thought would be a good outcome, so well done and good creativity to get it done.

Let’s see how he goes with the draft. He clearly has some thought on players he rates, but also a willingness to trade to next year if the right players aren’t available.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back