Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In McKay, Curnow, McGovern Docherty, Williams

Out Binns, Carroll, Owies, 2 of Fantasia / Motlop / Durdin

Cowan Young Newman
McGovern Weitering Saad

O Hollands Cripps Acres
Pitto Hewett Walsh

Williams Curnow E Hollands
Kemp McKay Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia

Cincotta Docherty Kennedy Lord Moir

Not sure any TDK, Cerra, Martin, Boyd get up for this one

Happy Jim Carrey GIF

But missing TDK below.

little giants GIF

We wait patiently for Tuesday night injury update although I think we will be none the wiser with lots of "tests"
We will be holding our cards close to our chest

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we need TDK to give us a chance. Pitto in and hope takes a hit.

If he's fit and healthy. TDK if fit is a Star and is a game changer.

We can get excited by names but history tells me you don't play unfit players in finals. Rarely works

Last edited:
Just play match-fit and healthy players. And bring the rage and attitude of last 2 weeks. That’s all.
I agree with this. Much as I'd love all of our best out there, I'd have a balanced approach to selection - bringing in H, Charles and Gov if they're as close to 100% as they can be - maybe Zac, too. I wouldn't play Cez or Jack at all, backing in the younger guys. Give Moir a go in Owies' place I reckon.

TDK by all accounts isn't 100% so I'd veer against choosing him over Pitto - only b/c I don't want to see us choose one ruck and him then go down.

Finally - if we take one risk, I think it has to be Doc as sub. If he says he's ready and has the fitness block behind him, the benefits coming on for under a half are worth it. Would give us an enormous lift and has more flexibility, experience and emotional lift than any other player.

My initial thinking was "well, if we're bringing in a few underdone talls we probably need the coverage", but after giving it a bit more thought I think that's probably the wrong approach. We've shown we can be "OK" without a genuine KPF at all. Not great, but not exactly inept either. We shouldn't be harbouring any fear of losing talls in-game any more - just adapt and play small instead of overdoing the height at initial selection.

Personally, I'd like to see us bring in two talls only - either both forwards and let TDK simmer another week, or TDK plus one of Harry/Charlie.

And then I'd tell the mids not to target the talls going inside 50 before half-time unless it's a genuine one-on-one. Spend the first half just relentlessly spotting up every short lead from a smaller forward, then after half-time when the KPDs are thinking they're on top of our talls, switch the focus.

Agree. I like so much what we have done the last two weeks. The football style we have played and the effort has been impressive. Things that weren't there the previous 6-8 weeks

Cripps Hewett Walsh seem energised with the youth. Ollie has stood up

Harry I would play as he is apparently fine. Needs to ruck as well
TDK ONLY if he can run out a game. If so, Pittonet must be out. IMO can't have both
Charlie. I have doubts as foot is not good and since he hurt it has really struggled
Martin. Nope. Can't be trusted
McGovern plays
Williams plays if gets through full training
Docherty is just too risky for me. For him and us.

I hope names like Binns Lord Moir (sub) are retained. They've earned it

Last edited:
I agree with this. Much as I'd love all of our best out there, I'd have a balanced approach to selection - bringing in H, Charles and Gov if they're as close to 100% as they can be - maybe Zac, too. I wouldn't play Cez or Jack at all, backing in the younger guys. Give Moir a go in Owies' place I reckon.

TDK by all accounts isn't 100% so I'd veer against choosing him over Pitto - only b/c I don't want to see us choose one ruck and him then go down.

100% agree. Carrying injuries in finals that restrict you, especially when we have a number of them, is concerning and a risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just not sure, maybe he can run out a full match and maybe he’s really unlikely to get re-injured. I’ll trust the MC on that but my concern is that it’ll take some time to re-adjust to the speed of the game and do you take that risk in an elimination final. If he plays then the MC have answered yes to my concerns and I’m just going to love watching him out there.

Feels like he (Doch) would be the ideal sub.

If the game is a blowout leave him off.
He can play in all areas of the ground.
If the game is in the balance, it would be a massive lift for the boys him coming on at 3/4 time.
Removes match fitness concerns.

Feels like he (Doch) would be the ideal sub.

If the game is a blowout leave him off.
He can play in all areas of the ground.
If the game is in the balance, it would be a massive lift for the boys him coming on at 3/4 time.
Removes match fitness concerns.

what if he has to come on after 5 minutes?

It's a final, intensity and speed increases. Rotations and ability to run out 4 quarters is vital

IMO for us to win we need to lock the game down and grind it out. It's going to be tight

As tempting as it may be just too many risks to play doc at this stage of the season.

If he plays and he doesn’t injure himself and we win, what a story that would be 👏👏

If he plays and he reinjures himself …well that would be terrible 😞

So close to the end of this sEason now …better to give him the off season to build up knee structure and have a genuine and safer attempt next season.

Last edited:

Finally - if we take one risk, I think it has to be Doc as sub. If he says he's ready and has the fitness block behind him, the benefits coming on for under a half are worth it. Would give us an enormous lift and has more flexibility, experience and emotional lift than any other player.
On this, my early go at changes from last week:
IN McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Williams, Docherty
OUT Owies (suspension), Carroll, Durdin, Fantasia, Moir

Carlton v Paddlepops
FB
Newman - Weitering - Cowan
HB Saad - Young - McGovern
C O. Hollands - Cripps (C) - Acres
HF Cincotta - McKay - Williams
FF Motlop - Curnow - Kemp
FOL Pittonet - Walsh - Hewett
IC E. Hollands, Kennedy, Lord, Binns
Sub: Docherty
EMG Carroll, Fantasia, Moir, Boyd

I think this side gives us great balance, doesn't play too much risk (again, assuming that group are passed fit) and gives us the best chance to beat the Lions. Play Ollie as a rotating half back again. See how Kemp goes with Charlie and H back (tell the trio to give each other space and spread the opposition). Put a hard Cincotta tag on new AA halfback Zorko.

I think Binns and Lord deserve to hold their spot the most of our kids right now and I'd probably play Moir (or Carroll) as sub again if Doc doesn't make Vossy's cut.

Keep TDK in the wings and Cerra maybe as backup pending injuries if we're able to advance to week 2.

Roll them out - I love this team. A lot will need to go right, and we'll need to fight from the first bounce til the last. But I'll be there live, bottom tier cheering them on win, lose or draw.​

Last edited:
On this, my early go at changes from last week:
IN McKay, Curnow, McGovern, Williams, Docherty
OUT Owies (suspension), Carroll, Durdin, Motlop, Moir

Carlton v Paddlepops
FB
Newman - Weitering - Cowan
HB Saad - Young - McGovern
C O. Hollands - Cripps (C) - Acres
HF Cincotta - McKay - Williams
FF Motlop - Curnow - Kemp
FOL Pittonet - Walsh - Hewett
IC E. Hollands, Kennedy, Lord, Binns
Sub: Docherty
EMG Carroll, Motlop, Moir, Boyd

I think this side gives us great balance, doesn't play too much risk (again, assuming that group are passed fit) and gives us the best chance to beat the Lions. Play Ollie as a rotating half back again. See how Kemp goes with Charlie and H back (tell the trio to give each other space and spread the opposition). Put a hard Cincotta tag on new AA halfback Zorko.

I think Binns and Lord deserve to hold their spot the most of our kids right now and I'd probably play Moir (or Carroll) as sub again if Doc doesn't make Vossy's cut.

Keep TDK in the wings and Cerra maybe as backup pending injuries if we're able to advance to week 2.

Roll them out - I love this team. A lot will need to go right, and we'll need to fight from the first bounce til the last. But I'll be there live, bottom tier cheering them on win, lose or draw.​
you've dropped Mots AND named him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back