Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it is.

But my comments stand. He would murder them in any physical competition you set them. Wrestling. Repeat sprinting. Running. Bumping. Tackling. Cross fit. Burpees. Tumbling. Side planks.

Pick whatever you want. Any day of the week he would flog them at any contest.

So if we are talking “ability to get through games” then PICK HIM.
You could be right but doc doesn’t play in position that Motlop and Williams does so the comparison isn’t that relevant is it?

Who are you omitting to play doc?

Last edited:

Retraction of earlier call from my source.
From the horses mouth.
TDK is playing.

If TDK plays does Pittonet? Big call brining back TDK as sole ruckman (even though I prefer it)

If we play 2 rucks along with Charlie McKay Kemp all forward all of a sudden with look very tall.

I much prefer when we have run and look more mobile.

My real concern is now we are pushing to bring back players that are not fully fit, will throw out our balance, make us much more predictable and affect the way we have played last 2 weeks which I think has been great.

It's a really tough spot for MC to be in and I don't know the answer

Cowan Weitering Young
Saad McGovern Newman
Acres Cripps O Hollands
E Hollands Harry Fantasia
Williams Charlie Kemp

Pittonet Hewett Walsh

IC: Cincotta, Kennedy, Docherty TDK
Sub: Lord
EM : Carrol/Binns
Like it....gives us our best chance with the players available.

I'm a Durds fan, but don't reckon we can risk taking him in with his crook shoulders potentially losing him early in the game. Motlop has no form at all this year, can't carry these players into finals.

Hopefully TDK is ready to go, otherwise I wouldn't mind Moir keeping his spot.

If TDK plays does Pittonet? Big call brining back TDK as sole ruckman (even though I prefer it)

If we play 2 rucks along with Charlie McKay Kemp all forward all of a sudden with look very tall.

I much prefer when we have run and look more mobile.

My real concern is now we are pushing to bring back players that are not fully fit, will throw out our balance, make us much more predictable and affect the way we have played last 2 weeks which I think has been great.

It's a really tough spot for MC to be in and I don't know the answer

Can we afford to play TDK just on limited minutes - e.g Pitto crash and bash for 15 mins a quarter and then bring in TDK ??

At least with Willo, we know he is class. Has burst speed and knows how to kick a goal. Maybe he should be instructed to

stay inside forward 50, at all times. Going to be warm up there and we don't want to see him get gassed.
I would pick him. I was making a separate argument.

We are likely to be carrying multiple guys into the game who are at risk that they won’t finish it. MCG Saad Williams Charlie. Maybe all 10-20 percent chance of not seeing the game out. The more I think about it the more it worries me. We can’t sit here the day after and complain if any of these guys don’t get through the game. It’s not luck. It’s taking a gamble. Maybe we need to. Dunno.

If Doc plays it has to be as the sub, and then pray we don’t get an injury in the first half.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell he can run out a final for a full match at say 65-70% TOG, we have Lord and Motlop at those numbers already we can’t afford to have to manage multiple players time on the ground that much

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching training etc this how I think Voss will select us

B: McGovern Young Newman
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Kemp Charlie Fantasia
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Int: Kennedy Durdin Cowan Cincotta Lord

You'd love to just go best 22 but it's always a concern to bring in a lot of players who may not be match fit.

With Docherty, could we ease him in as the sub? Probably can't just get away with bringing him back as a back pocket.

Curnow and McKay are no problem.

I'd love TDK in but I know what you mean, could be too much. McKay may have to ruck more than we would like him to in this situation. I don't think we could do the same with TDK and ease him in as sub.

Which ever side we pick there will always be risk. Risk bringing players back who aren't fit. Risk bringing players back who may become injured. Risk picking a side that is not good enough etc.

I really don't mind the team you've picked, I think it could pull it off.

Pitto needs to do what Xerri did to TDK. Repeatedly stomp on his foot, knee in the ribs, and so on.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can he jump high enough to knee in his ribs? Pitto's leap is an issue. Reliant on his big frame and running under the ball. Does put him at risk for giving away free kicks if he goes a bit far with it.

If you look at the impact McInerney had in the prelim compared to opening round, it's chalk and cheese.

Can he jump high enough to knee in his ribs? Pitto's leap is an issue. Reliant on his big frame and running under the ball. Does put him at risk for giving away free kicks if he goes a bit far with it.

If you look at the impact McInerney had in the prelim compared to opening round, it's chalk and cheese.
He’s good for depth…unfortunate tdk may not be ready

I would rather see doc out there before binns , moir , Durdin , owies , Motlop and fantasia so he plays … who cares match fitness , those giys are half the player he is and I feel in a tight game , in a final , his leadership and calmness might be needed , he does his knee again so be it .. we don’t know if we will be back next year but I would make it his call so it’s on him

With Docherty, could we ease him in as the sub? Probably can't just get away with bringing him back as a back pocket.

Docherty or Moir would be great as sub if we could ensure they come on during third quarter or later.

If they needed to come on after 5 minutes it may restrict us dramatically

These are the risks

Docherty's fitness is an interesting one. Some people are naturally fit. His comeback last season after little training was an example of that. Some people need a preseason and a few games, some just need a bit of a run on the track and good to go.

Docherty is wingman level fit at his best, suggests he has a good natural tank. I think if we go deep into finals he will have to be picked.

So how do we ease him in and still get top value from him? Can he two way run off a half back flank? Maybe not for for quarters but for bursts possibly. Can we slip him into the back pocket, play him as a deep defender with bursts on the flank or is this not suited to his game. What about sub?

Then there is TDK? Has he been able to do much hard running? There is doubt here. But he is so so crucial to us beating them. Many of the other teams out there I would be fine with Pittonet but not this opponent. DeKoning blowing up is a major concern. McKay would have to do quite a bit in the ruck. Boy he was in tip top shape when he was last playing but that was a while back.

I think there are some massive calls to be made from our fitness staff. Andrew Russell's last big call perhaps?

We have a real Talent V Fitness dilemma going on here.

I would rather see doc out there before binns , moir , Durdin , owies , Motlop and fantasia so he plays … who cares match fitness , those giys are half the player he is and I feel in a tight game , in a final , his leadership and calmness might be needed , he does his knee again so be it .. we don’t know if we will be back next year but I would make it his call so it’s on him

A fit Docherty definitely. He’s a genuine Star.

5 months after an ACL, limited training and no games though is a big call especially in a final

A fit Docherty definitely. He’s a genuine Star.

5 months after an ACL, limited training and no games though is a big call especially in a final
We played terrible for 10 weeks when we played unfit players or players out of position. Surely the last two weeks has shown, fit players give spring and pressure. That’s what we need. If anyone is 50/50 they don’t play. This season has been wasted by the coaches and I’m tipping they will waste our chances by picking 3 or 4
Players that aren’t fit enough.

I'd normally think a fast start is the way to go. However after the prelim last year and the Swans and Giants games in Sydney I'd say this brings out a complacency in pressure which we are best without. Solid and unspectacular start please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back