Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it....gives us our best chance with the players available.

I'm a Durds fan, but don't reckon we can risk taking him in with his crook shoulders potentially losing him early in the game. Motlop has no form at all this year, can't carry these players into finals.

Hopefully TDK is ready to go, otherwise I wouldn't mind Moir keeping his spot.
Its all a bit speccy given injuries - toss up between Durdin and Fantasia with Durds shoulder being too proppy as a guess. Owies who plays as a lead up their tall is an unlucky for us out because of some makeyuppy BS MRO BS. Kemp and Cincotta rotating on Zorko and Andrews will keep their looosey goosey players back there more honest.

If our mids can win a fair share of CBB the Carlton forward line will be too stacked for them to handle - big IF since the big Mc ruckman won the game for them last year ( IMO) which is why I hope the MC went to school on the tap it forward over our mids heds trick they played for 3 quarters to get them the lead.

The only bloke I reluctantly include is Young - tbh as in very reluctantly isnt fasat enough to run with Daniher of Hipwood.

Binns surprised me in his first full game-but Ollie has him covered in most areas - Lord was the big surprise packet though - very composed and very quick hands in contested situations.

The more accurate kicking team will win this one.

A fit Docherty definitely. He’s a genuine Star.

5 months after an ACL, limited training and no games though is a big call especially in a final
It'll have been half a year since he suffered the injury, which was operated in the days after it occurred. So to be crystal clear, it's 6 months, not 5.

It was 5 months post-op that he started doing full training without contact, I think?

Hoping to see more footage of him moving around at training, because that one tweet was not convincing.

I'd normally think a fast start is the way to go. However after the prelim last year and the Swans and Giants games in Sydney I'd say this brings out a complacency in pressure which we are best without. Solid and unspectacular start please..
Agreed. Steady as she goes start, hopefully with our noses in front, pull away slowly as the game progresses. Win comfortably in the end. Easy as.

If Doc plays it has to be as the sub, and then pray we don’t get an injury in the first half.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell he can run out a final for a full match at say 65-70% TOG, we have Lord and Motlop at those numbers already we can’t afford to have to manage multiple players time on the ground that much

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m just not sure, maybe he can run out a full match and maybe he’s really unlikely to get re-injured. I’ll trust the MC on that but my concern is that it’ll take some time to re-adjust to the speed of the game and do you take that risk in an elimination final. If he plays then the MC have answered yes to my concerns and I’m just going to love watching him out there.

Cowan Weitering Newman
Saad Mcgovern Hollands
Acres Cripps Binns
Elijah Mckay Motlop
Kemp Curnow Williams

TDK Walsh Hewett

Lord, Cincotta, Kennedy, Pittonet

Sub docherty ( it is going to happen)

In Curnow, Mckay, Williams, Mcgovern, TDK, doc

Out: Young, owies, fantasia, carrol, durdin, moir

Moir comes in for curnow or doch if they don't up.

In McKay, Curnow, McGovern Docherty, Williams

Out Binns, Carroll, Owies, 2 of Fantasia / Motlop / Durdin

Cowan Young Newman
McGovern Weitering Saad

O Hollands Cripps Acres
Pitto Hewett Walsh

Williams Curnow E Hollands
Kemp McKay Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia

Cincotta Docherty Kennedy Lord Moir

Not sure any TDK, Cerra, Martin, Boyd get up for this one

Harry in defence lol....Kemp would bea good third tall in the forward line and would be another good target when Harry goes in ruck. I doubt tdk will be available and no to Doc playing

The idea of playing Harry in defence for the first time ever, at age 26, after 127 games all as a forward, in a final - I can’t think of a kind term for the idea….

Cowan Young Newman
McGovern Weitering Saad

O Hollands Cripps Acres
Pitto Hewett Walsh

Thats the same 23 I would go with. I'm going with Fantasia and Williams as the small fwds and dropping Motlop and Durdin.

Something tells me the MC won't drop Motlop and Durdin.

Doc with no game time would run further in a game FOR SURE by miles than Motlop and William’s. He laps them in preseason running. If his knee is right he will give us a LOT of running power. I have him at about number 7 in runners at the club. Cotts, Binns, Ollie, Lij, Charlie, Acres and then Doc.

In a 2km race he would beat William’s and Motlop by over a minute. Footy fit or not he def adds to us.
I was against in my head that’s brought me to 50/50 good argument for
My worry is touch kicking efficiency timing in marking I’m not sure a year out straight into a cutthroat final is ideal to regain touch and rhythm of AFL
His kicking has always been touch and go
But his gut running might compensate also smarts and a good footy brain helps.
So basically a sitting on the fence post ime happy if he plays also happy if he doesn’t and a seasoned match hardened player like Carrol plays

In: Charlie, Harry, McGovern, Williams, Docherty
Out: Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Binns, Carrol

Cowan Weitering Young
Saad McGovern Newman
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands Harry Fantasia
Williams Charlie Kemp

Pittonet Hewett Walsh

IC: Cincotta, Kennedy, Docherty, Lord
Sub: Moir

Don’t think we can drop 3 small forwards in one hit granted one suspended.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan Young Newman
McGovern Weitering Saad

O Hollands Cripps Acres
Pitto Hewett Walsh

Charlie should not be playing … doesn’t mean he won’t.
Fantasia before Dudin purely due to CD shoulder challenges.
Moir will be sub again.

The idea of playing Harry in defence for the first time ever, at age 26, after 127 games all as a forward, in a final - I can’t think of a kind term for the idea….
Desperate?

Don’t think we can drop 3 small forwards in one hit granted one suspended.
I think that's the key to bringing back the big names whilst keeping the kids who did well.

Williams, Elijah, Fantasia & Moir should be able to hit the scoreboard and apply pressure in support of Charlie Harry and Kemp.

Last edited:
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we need TDK to give us a chance. Pitto in and hope takes a hit.

One punter mentioned Doc playing. Imagine that ... coming in to play Brissy at the GABBA in an elimination final in your first comeback match. Talk about being thrown in the deep end ... blimey ... love Doc. Would be great to see him back.
Hope our ins come in refreshed and not requiring a warm up game to hit their straps. No second chances lads.

Bring your A-game fellas.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we need TDK to give us a chance. Pitto in and hope takes a hit.

One punter mentioned Doc playing. Imagine that ... coming in to play Brissy at the GABBA in an elimination final in your first comeback match. Talk about being thrown in the deep end ... blimey ... love Doc. Would be great to see him back.
Hope our ins come in refreshed and not requiring a warm up game to hit their straps. No second chances lads.

Bring your A-game fellas.
Doc coming in for this one is a feel-good romantic prospect, no doubt.

Not sure it makes much sense from a football POV. I think it’s too much an ask.

If bringing back Charlie, Harry, Gov & Williams - I’d prefer to balance the risk a little more with game hardness & run.

Given the Brian’s midfield strength is their one-wood, I’d start Cincotta on a wing running with.

Cowan Weiters Young
Newman Mc Govern Saad
Acres Cripps Cincotta
EHollands McKay Williams
Motlop Curnow Kemp
Pitto Walsh Hewett

Kennedy Fantasia O Hollands Lord

Sub Martin.

If TDK plays does Pittonet? Big call brining back TDK as sole ruckman (even though I prefer it)

If we play 2 rucks along with Charlie McKay Kemp all forward all of a sudden with look very tall.

I much prefer when we have run and look more mobile.

My real concern is now we are pushing to bring back players that are not fully fit, will throw out our balance, make us much more predictable and affect the way we have played last 2 weeks which I think has been great.

It's a really tough spot for MC to be in and I don't know the answer

My initial thinking was "well, if we're bringing in a few underdone talls we probably need the coverage", but after giving it a bit more thought I think that's probably the wrong approach. We've shown we can be "OK" without a genuine KPF at all. Not great, but not exactly inept either. We shouldn't be harbouring any fear of losing talls in-game any more - just adapt and play small instead of overdoing the height at initial selection.

Personally, I'd like to see us bring in two talls only - either both forwards and let TDK simmer another week, or TDK plus one of Harry/Charlie.

And then I'd tell the mids not to target the talls going inside 50 before half-time unless it's a genuine one-on-one. Spend the first half just relentlessly spotting up every short lead from a smaller forward, then after half-time when the KPDs are thinking they're on top of our talls, switch the focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back