Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did TDK last play a match?

He'll be a mile off the pace.

Can't play him as that would necessitate playing Pitto too - and that's no good....

I'm not worried about fitness to run out games. Most will be okay. Concern is having the body to handle the physicality to go 100% without breaking down again

All this talk about Doc being risked with an injury recurrence. Got more confidence in Doc getting through unscathed than Cerra if picked.
I'm not worried about his knee ( we'll maybe a bit) and I'm not worried about the effort he will bring. My concern is his touch and disposal, to pick up the fast pace of finals footy from the first second of the game after not playing a single game in 6 months.
BUT IM RIGHT BEHIND HIM
GO DOC

I’m a massive Cerra fan but I wouldn’t pick him. Has struggled this year and needs to fully get over hammy issues and have big pre season

Picking him is another risk piled upon many other risks
This!

He’s our 3rd best mid, but in September 2024 there is no way you could trust him to help us win a final.

I'm not worried about fitness to run out games. Most will be okay. Concern is having the body to handle the physicality to go 100% without breaking down again

He'll be ok.

If does have physical issues, it'll be the soreness level post match (if any).

Selection juggling act.

What we know is we simply have to take some risks, the side that lost to the Saints despite it's efforts doesn't have the talent to get close to the Lions in a final.

In 100%:
McKay must play, sounded like a minor injury and he can pinch hit in the ruck. Probably our most important player given he can play second ruck, and CHF and key forward.

Likewise, Williams felt like a minor injury and provided a critical X factor and went behind the ball.

Doc, is a perfect sub as can play any position and would provide a massive lift mid-way through Q3. Also if game is over then don't bring him on.

Gov, seemed like a mild injury, critical second tall defender and creative ball used, so must be risked.

In maybe:

Curnow or TDK - For me can only pick one of these. If TDK plays he is largely forward and as a second ruck, he wouldn't be fit enough to play a full game in ruck. If Charlie plays then no TDK. We cannot go into a final with an underdone TDK, Pit, underdone Charlie and returning Harry and McGovern. The team would be too top-heavy and slow.

Cerra or Martin: Both play and almost certain one of them breaks down, so given all the above I would be inclined to leave both out but if one plays then the other can't.
Spot on with Charlie or TDK. Only 1, and that's reliant that we can get one of them on the field

I'm not worried about his knee ( we'll maybe a bit) and I'm not worried about the effort he will bring. My concern is his touch and disposal, to pick up the fast pace of finals footy from the first second of the game after not playing a single game in 6 months.
BUT IM RIGHT BEHIND HIM
GO DOC
I think any “rust” won’t take long to dissolve. Even with some rust I’d back his smarts etc over others that will be playing

Plenty of examples of injured players having massive finals. If it is the right player(s) then no issue.
I remember Freo in the GF playing Adam Sandilands injured, they may as well have played a witches hat, it was a really poor move.

It really depends on the injury spot, if it's muscular in leg, always risky, if it is joint and needs a jab, really tough if it is the kicking leg. Above the waist soreness can be easier to manage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Here is my team.

Cow Young Newy

McGov Weiters Saad

Doc Crippa Acres

Pitt Hewitt Walsh

Lij Harry Marto

Kennedy Kemp Willo

Cinc Lord Ollie Binns

Sub Moir.
Can’t see it mate. With Owies out, surely we play two of Durds, Fantasia and Motlop ideally to apply some pressure which Williams will not do as much with a sussy hammy as he might normally.

He has a broken foot that hasn't properly healed yet. I'd call that a physical issue and a major concern for a ruckman

Shouldn’t be playing him….The world doesn’t end if we lose Saturday….id hate to have TKD going into 2025 on an interrupted preseason

Ditto Cerra

Need to trust the people in charge. Surely, they aren't that silly to put players in a final with any doubts.

I only trust randos on twitter and bigfooty.

Not sure why the players don't either

I don't think we really have a choice but to bring guys back and hope.

Sure, it's well and good to play number 38 & 39 on your list when you're up against West Coast and look good, but we lost to 14th placed St Kilda (14th placed prior to the game) with that team. The effort was great and all that but at the end of the day we lost to 14th. What chance do you have in a final then, against 5th placed Brisbane in Brisbane, with player 38 starting?

It's easy to say just say start the fittest players, but we know that won't get the job done. We have to bring back the high-end talent even if there's a few queries around them, it's really the only shot we have.

Last edited:
I want to see us win this, celebrate for one minute, then have Crippa speak into a channel 7 camera with the look of a determined Gladiator and announce "3 more to go", then just walk off as a team and get ready to win interstate next week again.
The force is strong with this one!

jackson darth GIF

Can’t see it mate. With Owies out, surely we play two of Durds, Fantasia and Motlop ideally to apply some pressure which Williams will not do as much with a sussy hammy as he might normally.
Yeah, agree that I did get the balance slightly wrong. You are probably right about two out of that three.

Loved the way Durds played against Weagles, prior to hurting his shoulder. May need a shoulder op, in the coming weeks.

Fanta did not play the whole game against the Aints, still building his fitness. But, I quite like what he provides.

Out of the three Motts has been by far the least impressive, imo. Did ok vs W.C, without finding much of it. Then was very

poor last week.

So it would have to be Durds and Fanta in. Most likely at the expense of Martin and Moir. However, I would ideally like to

keep Moir as sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back