Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair points. I mainly like that he competed his guts out and chased feverishly. Gave me Jack S vibes.

Wilkie and Battle took 2 intercept marks between them. TWO. They average 5 a game. I expected 6-7 with Kemp going at it solo.

Was a Herculean effort by Kemp and not to be under estimated in why we stayed in the game. They couldn’t launch like they’d like to on the back of intercepting marks.
What Kemp did was just marginally more than what Frampton did on Harris Andrews in the G.F. last year. I genuinely respected his effort yesterday but it was a fair way from herculean.

Clearly he is not currently a #1 key forward and nor should he be expected to be. I'm just still not sure what his best position is/will be.

Your comparison to JSOS is apt I think. Great potential and endeavour but not an absolute natural stand out in any one spot.

What Kemp did was just marginally more than what Frampton did on Harris Andrews in the G.F. last year. I genuinely respected his effort yesterday but it was a fair way from herculean.

Clearly he is not currently a #1 key forward and nor should he be expected to be. I'm just still not sure what his best position is/will be.

Your comparison to JSOS is apt I think. Great potential and endeavour but not an absolute natural stand out in any one spot.
He was very good, Donno what we do for the Brisbane game as I don’t think young is afl standard and need kemp back to support McGovern with hipwood and morris. Although kemp adds such a different and dangerous dynamic as a 3rd tall forward to our forward line. I’m genuinely torn as it’s a bit tic for tat with young having to play to have him forward as we can’t have a Cowan type on their third tall. Interesting selection coming up

FB Newman - Weitering - Young
HB Cincotta - McGovern - Saad

C OHollands - Cripps - Acres
OB De Koning - Hewett - Walsh

HF EHollands - McKay - Williams
FF Kemp - Curnow - Durdin

Interchange
Cowan, Kennedy, Lord and Fantasia

Sub
Carroll

McGovern replaces Binns (omitted)
TDK replaces Pittonett (omitted)
McKay replaces Owies (susp.)
Curnow replaces Motlop (omitted)
Williams replaces Moir (omitted)

Couple unlucky omissions but hopefully we get to see more of them next year.

As near useless Young is with ball in hand he’s clearly the best option we have for a 2nd KPD.

Other than the occasional outmuscle he’s fairly effective in aerial contests.
That was probably the best he's shown for a while, but still had some nervous moments attacking contests.

Short opposition two weeks in a row though.

Hell no. Young is awful. Would get pantsed at the Gabba in a final.
I can't understand the negativity about Young. In both 2023 and 2024 he stood up manfully in the early part of both seasons when Weitering was unavailable. In addition, he has been good over the last couple of weeks.

Question for those who went to the Prelim last year. If I'm a full member, what are my chances of getting a ticket? Basically - weighing up whether to book the flights now, or wait to see whether I get a ticket. Would obviously only do the former if I was guaranteed of a ticket...
Booked a package for a meetup and ticket.
Worked really well. Maybe consider that? The meetup is a lot of fun. It's at the same place this time. More might come up with demand.

I can't understand the negativity about Young. In both 2023 and 2024 he stood up manfully in the early part of both seasons when Weitering was unavailable. In addition, he has been good over the last couple of weeks.
Yep. Young was good (in Young terms) over the weekend. We will need him to play tall next week on either Hipwood (most likely) or Daniher. The only other option is to swing Kemp back there and that could get ugly.

So to me it would be ;
Weitering - Daniher
Young - Hipwood
McGovern - Morris

Young could even then chop out a few centre bounces when Daniher does with Weitering moving on to Hipwood.

I assume it's been worked out and I've just missed it in this thread but for us to make the GF, it looks like our frequent flyer miles would add up.

In all likelihood it would be:

Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and then Melbourne.

At our best form that would be doable but currently?
Seems likely but Cats may beat Port. Then only 2 nice weeks of travel. Giants you'd think, in Sydney?

Yep. Young was good (in Young terms) over the weekend. We will need him to play tall next week on either Hipwood (most likely) or Daniher. The only other option is to swing Kemp back there and that could get ugly.

So to me it would be ;
Weitering - Daniher
Young - Hipwood
McGovern - Morris

Young could even then chop out a few centre bounces when Daniher does with Weitering moving on to Hipwood.
Wish we'd gone for Morris.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Voss’ presser re Moir and I quote “He’s not ready for 4 quarters “ amongst other context so looks like if he stays in would probably be as sub.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Makes a thrilling sub. We need shakeruppers and he is that.

If Owies is out. I would go with a forward structure of

Charlie, McKay, Moir, Kemp, Fantasia and Williams if fit. If not we may have to select Motlop. This is a match winning forward line IMO.

Last edited:
Wish we'd gone for Morris.....
Morris is a jet but he doesn’t have the X factor that Moir does, nor the athletic ability

Moir with a chronic debilitating hip/groin injury tested as one of the best in terms of agility at the combine

Plus Moir can kick 50m on both feet, Morris is taller but both have sticky mitts

If Owies is out. I would go with a forward structure of

Charlie, McKay, Moir, Kemp, Fantasia and Durdin if fit. If not we may have to select Motlop. This is a match winning forward line IMO
If we are serious it has to be Williams in and not Durds. Gutted that we don't have Fog.

Fantasia can’t be named - he’s a dead set liability.
Yes, he hit one good lead up pass & kicked a goal but he had 10 touches - 5 turnovers (4 Clangers) 9 pressure acts! His heat map is below- reckon Moir can handle that given he also only played 66 out of 122 minutes

View attachment 2091947
Voss is obsessed with this role and the week we didn't use it we looked the best we've looked in ages. As soon as he's got cotts or Fanta he's doing this useless run the ragged up and down the middle instead of rotations.

I honestly think what they're asking fanta to do might kill Moir. Also shows why his turnover rates high. Huge fatigue when he finally gets the ball. Low reward for high effort roles are also the hardest to stay really mentally sharp

Seems likely but Cats may beat Port. Then only 2 nice weeks of travel. Giants you'd think, in Sydney?
Cats lost to Port at home, us by 10 goals, lost to Aints the week before us by 3 goals - we nearly beat Aints with a depleted team.

Port by a million. Cats amaze me they are top 4, they can again thank the Cattery home ground advantage for that.

Cats top 4 is akin to an elephant up a palm tree - it got up there but God knows how!!

FB Newman - Weitering - Young
HB Cincotta - McGovern - Saad

C OHollands - Cripps - Acres
OB De Koning - Hewett - Walsh

HF EHollands - McKay - Williams
FF Kemp - Curnow - Durdin

Interchange
Cowan, Kennedy, Lord and Fantasia

Sub
Carroll

McGovern replaces Binns (omitted)
TDK replaces Pittonett (omitted)
McKay replaces Owies (susp.)
Curnow replaces Motlop (omitted)
Williams replaces Moir (omitted)

Couple unlucky omissions but hopefully we get to see more of them next year.
Moir is showing good signs but does not have the capacity to play as much as we would like him to. Would probably curtail his impact if he had to be subbed in early. Binns is unlucky but we have to fit these senior blokes back in somehow. Lord has been very solid coming into the middle. In the absence of Cerra he will have to play his part in a fortnight. He'll have a crack for sure.

Not sure whether TDK will be right and not sure about Durds (injury affected), which means Pitto stays in and Mots gets another chance. Mots really needs to extract the digit (offensively and defensively). Hoping the highlighted defensive error in the last minute of the Aints game is etched in his brain so he doesn't let that happen again.

Happy for Jack Carroll to play. I thought he was alright on Sunday and wondered why he was subbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back