Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glen McFarland on afl tonight showed footage of Doc training and turning. He said that Doc has been back in full training for 3 weeks, wants to play and that if he didn't play against Brisbane he would be highly likely to play the following week if we were to win. He said that Saturdays training session would give a good guide as to where he's up to.

Very winnable game IMO

Of course names like McKay Charlie McGovern will come back in

The questions I have are around effort and game style. Our effort over last 2 weeks has been awesome.everyone worked hard. The energy of the younger players was impressive. As good as any we have seen this year. My question is why now as it’s been an issue all year?

Game style. With Charlie & McKay back will we become more stagnant and bomb it long again? I hope not

We get excited by names but I saw so much good in last two weeks. I just hope they all buy into it and coaches don’t change our game style
Agree, effort has been fantastic last 2wks.
Similar to that 50point winning run with again a smaller running side we had for 9 games last year.

It seems bloody obvious to me. Don’t go too tall especially in the forward line. The ability to apply pressure on the spread against opposition coming out of their defence & the ability to carry from our defence with overlap handball to draw opposition defence is critical in the modern 360 degrees game.

I would play McKay with Weitering & McGovern in defence swinging him forward or ruck when needed. And play Charlie, Kemp, Kennedy up forward with 3 smalls. Would only play one of Dekoning or Pittonet. The rest mids & runners. The data is there. We stuffed up in last year’s finals because we went too tall.

I would also risk as many as 7 or 8 ins if they pass fitness test because finals is a different class especially all away finals.

Similar to that 50point winning run with again a smaller running side we had for 9 games last year.

It seems bloody obvious to me. Don’t go too tall especially in the forward line. The ability to apply pressure on the spread against opposition coming out of their defence & the ability to carry from our defence with overlap handball to draw opposition defence is critical in the modern 360 degrees game.

I would play McKay with Weitering & McGovern in defence swinging him forward or ruck when needed. And play Charlie, Kemp, Kennedy up forward with 3 smalls. Would only play one of Dekoning or Pittonet. The rest mids & runners. The data is there. We stuffed up in last year’s finals because we went too tall.

I would also risk as many as 7 or 8 ins if they pass fitness test because finals is a different class especially all away finals.

I agree with some of this - suggest 1 ruck only and Harry back up ruck
But no to Harry in backline and no to Kennedy forward - Kemp or Kennedy for me

Would love TDK to play but can’t risk him if he can’t play the whole game, both Pitto and TDK playing makes us too tall

If Pitto plays 70%
Harry and Charlie play 85% (normally 90% but coming back from injury). Then that means Harry only plays 55% forward
if Kemp plays forward (normally 95%)
3 Bigs Forward = 235%
That means we only have 3 bigs forward about 35% of the time (hope that’s correct).

Agree with you.
Also we have to be unpredictable. Can't just go in to the game with them knowing what we are going to do. Mix it up, take them by surprise. I'll be so disappointed if we just rock up with our bomb it to Harry and Charlie game plan. We started the saints game that way and they weren't even playing.

This bye weeks gives us the perfect opportunity to reset, get a few back and have a big swing at Brisbane. Our form the last two weeks has been commendable given the ludicrous injury list. Much better than what we saw in the few weeks prior.

Charlie, Harry, Gov and Williams should walk back into the side. TDK if fit but I’m not confident on that.

I’m just excited to see if we give our latest young kids a crack.

Lord/Binns/Moir just bring enthusiasm,you could just see it when Moir kicked that goal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Moir could continue as the sub and the only reason he would not would be is if Docherty gets named

Lord may only fit in as a pressure forward trying to do what Fogarty would normally do with the crazy tackling and pressure - but the club may decide something else or leave him out completely

Binns probably misses out - he’s not particularly fast which would have helped with our weakness - and the Lions aren’t particularly quick anyway so we probably won’t get exploited by them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: McGovern Young Newman
HB: Saad Weitering Ollie
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah McKay Cincotta
F: Owies Curnow Kemp

R: Pittonet Walsh Hewett

I: Kennedy Fantasia Cowan Lord
Sub: Moir

IN: McKay, Curnow, McGovern.
OUT: Durdin, Motlop, Carroll

Sticking with Fantasia over Williams because I'm concerned Zac doesn't get through the game and also their output is pretty similar around 10 disposal, 1 goal so it's marginal choice on form anyway.
Assuming TDK not ready
Not risking Cerra or Doc if available (lack of match fitness)
Sticking with Moir as super-sub.
Williams back in for Owies

B: McGovern Young Newman
HB: Saad Weitering Ollie
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah McKay Cincotta
F: Williams Curnow Kemp

R: Pittonet Walsh Hewett

I: Kennedy Fantasia Cowan Lord
Sub: Moir

Has played every game this year too I think?

Big priority for next year has to be finding a way of getting him some rest in the back half of the season. Tough considering we still apparently need him to carry us most weeks.
Why? He’s been BOG the last two weeks. Finished rhe year fine.

I’d prefer in Cincotta went to Neale or Zorko as they always seem to cut us up.
Good call, Zorko I reckon as he’s been setting it up out of defence. Also gives Cinc a chance to kick goals and force Zorko to worry and have to become accountable.

For those that question Fantas selection

View attachment 2094143
lol talk about plucking random bullshit stats to prove nothing.
“Best full back of 2023 - Billy Frampton, 2 touches for the GF but the only current premiership winning FB in the league”
“Pies at 100% premiership win rate with him at FB”

I hope this talk about Doc goes away, on what planet is a bloke match fit after a knee
reco & no games!
If he plays the MC should be sued for negligence - both by doc & us.
Funny how the kids who have been playing 2s all season have questions about “running it out & not ready for finals” the bloke who hasn’t played at all, would slot right in 🤦‍♂️

I’m telling you guys, just bring the last 2 weeks pressure (lead the way Cripps) and with our forward line back, we’ve got this one.
Hope so Surrey. That 1st q. Up at the Gabba for prelim was one of the best moments I've had in footy.
I hope we can go past that and stay in it for 4x4. If so, we are 50/50 chance surely?

I come in peace. Just after some info on your injured guys. When was the last time Curnow, McGovern, McKay, TDK played. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back