List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a search on Ancestry.com a number of years ago and eventually sent away a swab sample to get my lineage done, turned out my lineage wasn't all that exciting... although I can lay claim to being very minorly of Viking decent, just to be clear I have not been involved in any pillaging.
Same. Sister did the dna test, and we are predominantly Irish, Scottish & German, with 12.5% Viking. They did pillage Scotland and Ireland a lot, and probably the German coastline as well.

Jivlain.

On your AFLMstats.com website, you've left out the Footscray-Collingwood game where the Dogs won 82-100.

There are 27 goals and 20 behinds missing from the 2024 season.
Do I have to recognise Bulldogs wins?

Oh fine. I've added it now.

Same. Sister did the dna test, and we are predominantly Irish, Scottish & German, with 12.5% Viking. They did pillage Scotland and Ireland a lot, and probably the German coastline as well.

Vikings were raiders first and settlers next. Most actually never left Scotland and so its not uncommon to have "Viking DNA". 12.5% is quite high so you may have some more modern Swedish or Danish ancestors.

I know I have a habit of offending and here I’m genuinely trying to be sensitive but surely if indigenous players qualify for NGA they’ve got to have at least 50% heritage if that’s what you call it. I mean some of the people that are claiming to be indigenous (and I don’t mean solely in relation to AFL) is a bit sus. No jokes we had an applicant for a job where I work and the guy looked Irish with red hair and he claimed indigenous status with citing like 5%.

Outside of AFL, but does anyone know at what point one can claim indigenous heritage?

With all due respect and excuse the intrusion but it can be really offensive to ask an Aboriginal what percentage Aboriginal they are.

Sanders had been in Norths academy since he was 12. Had been in the Boomerang’s (junior U15/U16 indigenous team).

What North were trying to do was get access to him as a free hit, via their nga academy, doing away with the AFL’s rule about clubs not being able to match bids inside pick 40.

Similar to how the Suns were allowed to automatically list academy kids outside the draft for 3 years.
He was officially approved as a member of the North Melbourne NGA in prelim final week last year. Late September 2023.

I guess you could say since he was 12 although he wasn’t registered with them and did not participate in training etc. he is indigenous and lived in Tasmania throughout his schooling although was boarding at a Melbourne private school for at least year 12

Do you have any proof that North actually did anything with Sanders apart from check his heritage 3 months before the draft?

With all due respect and excuse the intrusion but it can be really offensive to ask an Aboriginal what percentage Aboriginal they are.
Very true.
I vaguely recall during my time studying with youth allowance and filling out forms with the government the question asked would be:
are you: 1/16th indigenous.

I would assume if the government is asking that question, that is the baseline for government and most likely the NGA academies but I have no idea!

I did a search on Ancestry.com a number of years ago and eventually sent away a swab sample to get my lineage done, turned out my lineage wasn't all that exciting... although I can lay claim to being very minorly of Viking decent, just to be clear I have not been involved in any pillaging.
YET

He was officially approved as a member of the North Melbourne NGA in prelim final week last year. Late September 2023.

I guess you could say since he was 12 although he wasn’t registered with them and did not participate in training etc. he is indigenous and lived in Tasmania throughout his schooling although was boarding at a Melbourne private school for at least year 12

Do you have any proof that North actually did anything with Sanders apart from check his heritage 3 months before the draft?
He was in Norths Tassie academy since he was 12. It’s not an exclusive nga academy. Lot of North nuffies had all the information on the draft boards last year.

Lachie Neale expecting a son ❤️

I know I have a habit of offending and here I’m genuinely trying to be sensitive but surely if indigenous players qualify for NGA they’ve got to have at least 50% heritage if that’s what you call it. I mean some of the people that are claiming to be indigenous (and I don’t mean solely in relation to AFL) is a bit sus. No jokes we had an applicant for a job where I work and the guy looked Irish with red hair and he claimed indigenous status with citing like 5%.

Outside of AFL, but does anyone know at what point one can claim indigenous heritage?

It's not a percentage thing. Very simple , do you have an aboriginal person in your family history? Yes is simply yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a percentage thing. Very simple , do you have an aboriginal person in your family history? Yes is simply yes.
This is correct and really important to emphasise. There isn't a concept of percentage Indigenous in Australia, nor should there be. As others have mentioned, the horrendous policies of our governments right up to the 1970s (as a formal law) was to assimilate and re-home Indigenous people 'for their own good'. It's worth mentioning by the way, though irrelevant, that members of the Stolen Generation and their descendants moved to white homes or missions 'for their own good' have been shown to have worse education and health outcomes than First Nations peoples not removed from their families, land and culture.

One proud First Nations man who worked in reuniting families after historical removals once said to me "no matter how much milk you put in it, it's still a cup of coffee". I quite like that.

Not sure if there is a paywall.

Key points

“Changes to the national draft points system are also unlikely to change in time for this year’s draft, meaning Carlton’s ability to secure the Camporeale father-son twins or the Brisbane Lions selecting Levi Ashcroft will not be impacted.”

“Changes to the draft’s points system – the draft value index or DVI – are likely to come in for next year. Picks with points attached will continue until pick 54 – or three rounds of draft choices – before dropping off in the fourth round, which currently carry points.”

“Two club sources who were in the briefings and spoke on condition of anonymity said the league was not definitive on any changes but gave strong indications on some changes.”

If that’s all true isn’t it now marginally easier for clubs in 2024 to match bids as they can trade in more future picks.

This is correct and really important to emphasise. There isn't a concept of percentage Indigenous in Australia, nor should there be. As others have mentioned, the horrendous policies of our governments right up to the 1970s (as a formal law) was to assimilate and re-home Indigenous people 'for their own good'. It's worth mentioning by the way, though irrelevant, that members of the Stolen Generation and their descendants moved to white homes or missions 'for their own good' have been shown to have worse education and health outcomes than First Nations peoples not removed from their families, land and culture.

One proud First Nations man who worked in reuniting families after historical removals once said to me "no matter how much milk you put in it, it's still a cup of coffee". I quite like that.

Yup, not to mention that the way we generally talk about race/ethnicity as being some genetic equation is extremely Eurocentric.

Even when you remove the horrific impacts of assimilation and child removal policies, indigenous understandings of culture and kinship can’t be fully expressed using Eurocentric ways of thinking.

I assume that means that any bids post 54 will be completely free hits and just can be matched by any late pick?
Already the case for pick 56 and later anyway.

There's a 197 point discount for any bid after pick 18 (non-first round pick).

Pick 56 is worth 194 points, so it costs zero points to match the bid.

Presumably they're going to remove/reduce the discount, otherwise the current system will actually bring in the free hits to somewhere during the third round which is actually more generous. :D

The health outcomes makes sense.. kids go from a healthy natural diet to shit loads of margarine & candy

Presumably they're going to remove/reduce the discount, otherwise the current system will actually bring in the free hits to somewhere during the third round which is actually more generous. :D
Im pretty sure the discount is one of the major things other clubs have been complaining about. So fully expect that to go. Still will be interesting what happens if anyone is bid on close to the point cut off and you only have late picks with no value left

No discounts.

Steeper drop off of points values. Will make it much harder to match high end kids, if you don’t hold a high end pick yourself.

If that’s all true isn’t it now marginally easier for clubs in 2024 to match bids as they can trade in more future picks.
I believe teams will be getting cents on the dollar when trading out future early picks that are two or more seasons into the future.

Not many teams will be willing to take a long term gamble on pick two years into the future.

Unless you are a team that projects to have multiple high end kids in a future draft, and are willing to sacrifice a current pick to guarantee future bid matching.

This is so true, I was one of the lucky ones. After the beatings, abuse and horror of the hell camps, I was plucked from the long grass camps that I fled to and put in an amazing home in Melbourne where I was fortunate. My brothers and sisters not so lucky all died from addiction, homelessness, violence or were never seen again. 'Their own good' was such a lie as I had nothing but the most beautiful memories on the river as a kid with a happy family. My mother took her own life due to the pain of losing her kids. We should forgive but we should never ever forget.

This is so true, I was one of the lucky ones. After the beatings, abuse and horror of the hell camps, I was plucked from the long grass camps that I fled to and put in an amazing home in Melbourne where I was fortunate. My brothers and sisters not so lucky all died from addiction, homelessness, violence or were never seen again. 'Their own good' was such a lie as I had nothing but the most beautiful memories on the river as a kid with a happy family. My mother took her own life due to the pain of losing her kids. We should forgive but we should never ever forget.
Thanks for sharing your story, brother. I wish I had something wise to say. I’m so very sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back