List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely fear that it’ll cause a meltdown and further neutering. My sincere opinion is that it is too much of a rort even for me. But I hope it happens for the sweet sweet ammunition.

Are the hodge boys highly rated?

Meh - would cancel out Murphy choosing the Blues.

Meh - would cancel out Murphy choosing the Blues.

Hodge not going to Hawks won't be the same as "Brave Draftee choosing to express his feelings and stay home in Victoria !!" like Murphy did. Murphy staying home is "Brave" but if Cooper did the same - that's treachery.

Hodge not going to Hawks won't be the same as "Brave Draftee choosing to express his feelings and stay home in Victoria !!" like Murphy did. Murphy staying home is "Brave" but if Cooper did the same - that's treachery.

There is no way Cooper would be an AFL player without the academy. 😎

i dont really care about hodge either way. he should make his own choice without undue pressure from either club.

always funny when north fans seethe over blakey though. fairly confident he would have preferred to come here than north if the academy option was not open to him. that part seems to get lost in their whinging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a handful of players in the under-16s squads who qualify under father son eligibility, with Vic Country's Cody Walker tied to Carlton as a father-son where his dad Andrew played, while Cooper Hodge, the son of Hawthorn and Brisbane great Luke, will play for the Lions Academy under-16s side.

Hodge starred at under-15s level last year and will have the choice of joining the Hawks as a father-son or remaining with Brisbane as an Academy player in his draft year should his progress continue.

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games.

However, in a quirk for the current Giants coach and football manager, both sons will line up for crosstown rivals Sydney's under-16s side as members of the Swans Academy.

South Australia has Jack Leys, the son of 110-game Richmond player Brian, on its under-16s list.

The potential changes to matching bids will probably make it pretty hard to get Cooper Hodge, unless he’s the number one prospect from our academy by 2026.

Matthew Owen has been viewed as our number one prospect in this age group, and Caelan Murray has emerged this year as a top prospect.

And Thomas Levi, who is considered one of the top prospects in this age group, missed selection due to “attitude issues”, apparently.

So not quite loaded
And a bit like Voss and Roos as F/S candidates, most are probably borderline candidates at best and are getting academy time because they're better than the surrounding age group from playing kick to kick with dad since little. White (GC) and Hodge are the only ones getting some notice right now beyond "hey here's a list of father/sons".

And a bit like Voss and Roos as F/S candidates, most are probably borderline candidates at best and are getting academy time because they're better than the surrounding age group from playing kick to kick with dad since little. White (GC) and Hodge are the only ones getting some notice right now beyond "hey here's a list of father/sons".
I’m not sure Kalani White is any good either. And he’s for next year.

I’m not sure Kalani White is any good either. And he’s for next year.
I was wondering about that - he gets mentioned a heap but the only attribute given for him is his height. :tearsofjoy:

Tom Campbell played yesterday. Height can give you a long and productive career as a backup!
I saw some stats a few years ago that in Australia if you were over a certain height (like 200cm) and moderately athletic you had a 1 in 5 chance at a 10 year professional sporting career. Multiple sports will keep you on the lists for ages just in case you develop.

U16 boys beat the Suns 71-49. Only caught the second half but Cooper Hodge had some classy moments. I can see why that oppo poster was pumping up Hamish McPherson, he had a 5 minute burst to start the 4th where he looked very lively and dangerous.

Noah Cameron, Matthew Owen & Jared Moss did some nice things.

The most impressive player for me was Caylen Murray. Tough at the contest, fast & skillful. Could be the pick of the bunch for the 2026 crop.

Best player on the ground was Oscar Tanks, but he is 17.

Caelen Murray is a very nice mover, excellent player. I still think McPherson probably has the most upside of this crop, bit of a rough diamond.

Yeah Jared Moss, looks like a rangy small defender.

Also a 17 year old playing u16s.

U16 boys beat the Suns 71-49. Only caught the second half but Cooper Hodge had some classy moments. I can see why that oppo poster was pumping up Hamish McPherson, he had a 5 minute burst to start the 4th where he looked very lively and dangerous.

Noah Cameron, Matthew Owen & Jared Moss did some nice things.

The most impressive player for me was Caylen Murray. Tough at the contest, fast & skillful. Could be the pick of the bunch for the 2026 crop.
The published list of best players on PlayHQ is Jared Moss, Matthew Owen, Baelin Phillips, D'Arcy Jones, Caylen Murray and Oscar Tanks. Unsure if that came from the coaches.

Noah Cameron leading goalkicker with 3, Hamish McPherson and Beau Williams with 2 apiece, singles to Owen, Tanks and Archie Watts.

Best player on the ground was Oscar Tanks, but he is 17.

Caelen Murray is a very nice mover, excellent player. I still think McPherson probably has the most upside of this crop, bit of a rough diamond.

Also a 17 year old playing u16s.

Oscar Tanks parents missed out on a golden opportunity to name their son Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back