List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if the father son connection doesn’t matter enough to the kid so that he wouldn’t want to play for the club his dad played for a significant amount of his career then the club can’t really complain much

I think if the father son connection doesn’t matter enough to the kid so that he wouldn’t want to play for the club his dad played for a significant amount of his career then the club can’t really complain much
I'd agree but I'd be a massive hypocrite after years of complaining about Murphy's decision. :D

Why would you leave Melbourne to play for a club on the way down when you can stay at home and do the same thing. Played in more finals over his career than he would have with us as well

That's kind of similar to a point that I made earlier. If he wasn't keen on playing for the club his dad played for then we can't be too disappointed

At the time though you wouldn't have necessarily expected us to struggle as much as we did. And he could've wanted to play with Black, Power, Brown, etc. Instead of the spuds at Carlton

A cautionary tale

That's kind of similar to a point that I made earlier. If he wasn't keen on playing for the club his dad played for then we can't be too disappointed

At the time though you wouldn't have necessarily expected us to struggle as much as we did. And he could've wanted to play with Black, Power, Brown, etc. Instead of the spuds at Carlton

A cautionary tale
Don’t understand why you posted as if you strongly disagreed with me tbh :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would imagine as much as anything else, he just wanted to be drafted by a club in his home State.
That’s exactly it. It’s well known anyway he didn’t want to leave Victoria. Mostly his own thoughts but some external influence as well…

Anyways it’s all hindsight about how shit blues have been. They underperformed with the talent they had and whilst Murphy was a good player don’t think he would have changed Lions fortunes at all I reckon. We would have been shit regardless.

There's definitely the fact that a lot of Fitzroy supporters were lost when they merged with Brisbane. While I love the Lions now, it's definitely a strange relationship of supporting a team in a state I have no real connection with, and a team who increasingly gets a more QLD identity through the academies.

I can understand a young player who's dad played for Fitzroy go, well Brisbane isn't really the club my dad played at so why would I go there. In Murphy's case it hurt at the time, Blakey I never even really considered (he played twice as many games for North as he did Fitzroy, although only because he was fire sold to try and keep the club alive), and its why the Ashcrofts feels a more "legit" father son option, Marcus playing the majority of his career in Brisbane and growing up on the Gold Coast (correct me if im wrong here).

Father Sons have probably the most choice, from the day they are born of the pathway they can take. While I think part of it is definitely effected by how well the club is doing at the time, it's mostly effected by how involved their father is with the club IMO.

It's what made Browns decision to join the Lions so special, it seemed to buck the trend of Victorians showing any real interest in Brisbane, but at the same time I'm sure was effected by the fact that we had a dominant list at the time.

There's definitely the fact that a lot of Fitzroy supporters were lost when they merged with Brisbane. While I love the Lions now, it's definitely a strange relationship of supporting a team in a state I have no real connection with, and a team who increasingly gets a more QLD identity through the academies.

I can understand a young player who's dad played for Fitzroy go, well Brisbane isn't really the club my dad played at so why would I go there. In Murphy's case it hurt at the time, Blakey I never even really considered (he played twice as many games for North as he did Fitzroy, although only because he was fire sold to try and keep the club alive), and its why the Ashcrofts feels a more "legit" father son option, Marcus playing the majority of his career in Brisbane and growing up on the Gold Coast (correct me if im wrong here).

Father Sons have probably the most choice, from the day they are born of the pathway they can take. While I think part of it is definitely effected by how well the club is doing at the time, it's mostly effected by how involved their father is with the club IMO.

It's what made Browns decision to join the Lions so special, it seemed to buck the trend of Victorians showing any real interest in Brisbane, but at the same time I'm sure was effected by the fact that we had a dominant list at the time.
Just on that; would it be fair to say that there will be no more players whose Dads played for either Bears or Fitzroy?

Just on that; would it be fair to say that there will be no more players whose Dads played for either Bears or Fitzroy?
Considering Fletcher and Ashcroft both played for the bears and are now both in their 50s, a quick search showed that the youngest player for Fitzroy still alive who played over 100 games was probably Lynch, if they aren't in the pipeline that Briztoon hasn't mentioned then it's probably unlikely.

Unless our elder statesmen start pulling a Pacino. Depending on your perspective there is always hope I guess.

Considering Fletcher and Ashcroft both played for the bears and are now both in their 50s, a quick search showed that the youngest player for Fitzroy still alive who played over 100 games was probably Lynch, if they aren't in the pipeline that Briztoon hasn't mentioned then it's probably unlikely.

Unless our elder statesmen start pulling a Pacino. Depending on your perspective there is always hope I guess.
Isn't there a Kennedy kid with the Suns Academy that is also a F/S eligible with us?

Tom Campbell played yesterday. Height can give you a long and productive career as a backup!
Brayden Preuss is the one I point to anyone tall and strong. Just follow that guy, 10-12 year career for doing absolutely nothing and clubs still keep chasing him.

Isn't there a Kennedy kid with the Suns Academy that is also a F/S eligible with us?
Matty Kennedy's son. I have no personal insight into him as a potential player, but the word about 12 months ago was that he'd be a long shot to get on an AFL list

I haven't heard of any other potential father/sons or daughters from eligible former Fitzroy or Bears players

Murphy’s dad publicly said that he had no allegiance to Brisbane Lions and didn’t consider them as a continuation of Fitzroy who he had won 5 b&f’s with. He was always a bit of a mercenary anyway and left Fitzroy to play with both South Melbourne and North. I don’t think he has had anything to do with Brisbane at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back