Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the 3 teams you have beating us on the way home?
Not stated clearly in my original post, but I believe if we win 6 of the last 9 we should get 6th, I am hoping we can win 7 and possibly with our % make 4th (however the tie against Crows, might cost 4th), win 8 of the last 9, and we definitely finish top 4.

I think we lose to the Swans in about a month (although some might say they are due for a loss soon)
I am a little concerned the following week round 20 against the Suns, especially if they are still in the hunt for the top 8.
Round 22 Giants at the GABBA (who killed us in Canberra, yes we are playing better) and Bombers wont be easy in R24

Collingwood at the G round 23, at this stage have not counted as a win. So at this stage have the Swans and Pies beating us.

I’m a retired high school teacher from Melbourne. For about two decades, we’d have a footy colours day as a fundraiser. The kids would pay a gold coin and wear their football gear to school.

When I started teaching at my last school in the mid 90’s, just about every kid wore an AFL jumper or something. They all identified with their particular tribe.

By the time I retired in 2019, about a quarter of the kids were wearing AFL gear. Most were wearing basketball, soccer, NFL…

The corporate obsession of the AFL management is poisoning the well of future supporters.
Yep, my 2 grandsons and their friends wear USA basketball stuff, no AFL merchandise whatsoever.

Not stated clearly in my original post, but I believe if we win 6 of the last 9 we should get 6th, I am hoping we can win 7 and possibly with our % make 4th (however the tie against Crows, might cost 4th), win 8 of the last 9, and we definitely finish top 4.

I think we lose to the Swans in about a month (although some might say they are due for a loss soon)
I am a little concerned the following week round 20 against the Suns, especially if they are still in the hunt for the top 8.
Round 22 Giants at the GABBA (who killed us in Canberra, yes we are playing better) and Bombers wont be easy in R24

Collingwood at the G round 23, at this stage have not counted as a win. So at this stage have the Swans and Pies beating us.
I am not as concerned about Sydney as I am Collingwood and Suns.
Suns more just as a let down game and Collingwood as a mental hurdle after Round 3 and the Grand Final results.
West Coast could be a game where we will have an eye on Sydney the week later and will probably just do what is required for a small win.
Other than that I think we are better than all other teams we play as long as we turn up.

I am not as concerned about Sydney as I am Collingwood and Suns.
Suns more just as a let down game and Collingwood as a mental hurdle after Round 3 and the Grand Final results.
West Coast could be a game where we will have an eye on Sydney the week later and will probably just do what is required for a small win.
Other than that I think we are better than all other teams we play as long as we turn up.
Eagles away is the one I'm worried about, they should have some good players back in the side with a couple of games under their belt by then eg. Oscar Allen, Harley Reid, Dom Sheed, Liam Duggan and Tim Kelly. To top it off they have been playing a lot better lately without those guys in the side.

Danger game written all over it IMO.

Eagles away is the one I'm worried about, they should have some good players back in the side with a couple of games under their belt by then eg. Oscar Allen, Harley Reid, Dom Sheed, Liam Duggan and Tim Kelly. To top it off they have been playing a lot better lately without those guys in the side.

Danger game written all over it IMO.
Same; Oscar Allen will be well and truly going by then and with Darling and Waterman they actually have a very potent forward line, not to mention Barrass and McGovern are guns and throw in a midfield of Yeo, Reid and Kelly and us travelling and there’s a lot of ingredients that says this has a massive danger game written all over it.

As Elixuh said they are all very tricky and even Adelaide at home isn’t a gimme given we could only draw with them a few weeks ago.

That all being said, if we don’t get ahead of ourselves and just be professional, there shouldn’t be any reason that at a minimum we go 7-2 or even 8-1.

This has nothing to do with the AFL and more to do with how it’s a lot trendier and acceptable to wear the latter tops around as casual wear and how much more accessible top international sports are compared to the mid 90’s.
Maybe, buttermuffs. I can only comment on my own experience. When I was a kid (in the 60’s) we were obsessed with football. We played it every recess and lunch time. We were fiercely tribal, not just for our team but for the code. We had disparaging (probably racist and homophobic) names for soccor, basketball and rugby.

As a teacher, I saw this in my early career but as the AFL got more corporate, the passion in the kids declined. Maybe, as you imply, it’s a cultural consequence of globalisation but I suspect that the game has lost a large part of its soul. It’s becoming more and more a business and a reality tv show. 😕

Maybe, buttermuffs. I can only comment on my own experience. When I was a kid (in the 60’s) we were obsessed with football. We played it every recess and lunch time. We were fiercely tribal, not just for our team but for the code. We had disparaging (probably racist and homophobic) names for soccor, basketball and rugby.

As a teacher, I saw this in my early career but as the AFL got more corporate, the passion in the kids declined. Maybe, as you imply, it’s a cultural consequence of globalisation but I suspect that the game has lost a large part of its soul. It’s becoming more and more a business and a reality tv show. 😕

Agree 100%. There is a thread on the main board that's quite old now about the AFL, the kids just aren't into you anymore.
Growing up in Geelong in the early 1970s, it was >95% football (and a little hockey and soccer for some). Kick to kick every recess in primary school (after British Bulldog got inevitably got banned) with everyone trying to take speccies and the smaller kids running past for the handball or making to leads to get away from the big kids In summer it was a little more balanced between cricket and tennis (some swimming and athletics). Some people surfed all year round. Simple life!

Last edited:

With a story arc too.

I mean, the AFL always has a narrative and who the good guys are (this year it is far away Carlton and Essendon (you know that old chestnut that successful big ViC clubs are great for the game and all) and in 2016 it was the Dogs, 23 it was Collingwood etc.) and the bad guys <insert any interstate team> and at the moment it’s those northern academies whose Academies are going to tear away the fabric of the game and create four super powers in the likes the game has never seen before.

I mean I would actually buy that the AFL does not meddle in the results or favours clubs through a myriad of ways if it actually cared about equality and acknowledged as much and came out and said that they recognise it and that there are certain advantages for certain clubs that relatively balance out but they don’t, they’re always interfering and their statements are utter horseshit and can be seen right through and further that their biases are blatantly obvious. Hence why the AFL doesn’t care about equality and is purely driven by a Victorian centric minded commercial outcomes.

For starters, the AFL should be impartial and personally I’d like to see HQ relocated to the ACT for no other reason than the optics. I mean is there really a reason that they need to be headquartered in Melbourne? Is there also a reason that the MRO is not made up of more than one person independent of one another that aren’t ex Big Vic club players?

I could go on but you get the picture that the AFl always has an agenda and an outcome they’d like to see achieved <insert VIC club winning the flag> or bias the GF always needs to be played at the MCG. Why?

Agree 100%. There is a thread on the main board that's quite old now about the AFL, the kids just aren't into you anymore.
Growing up in Geelong in the early 1970s, it was >95% football (and a little hockey and soccer for some). Kick to kick every recess in primary school (after British Bulldog got inevitably got banned) with everyone trying to take speccies and the smaller kids running past for the handball or making to leads to get away from the big kids In summer it was a little more balanced between cricket and tennis (some swimming and athletics). Some people surfed all year round. Simple life!
Could never understand why schools banned British bulldog. It was character building.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

British Bulldogs. There's a blast from the past for us older codgers.

I am a reasonably Ole Codger and I have never heard of it.
Must have been out of the loop.🔁
I'm 64 and my decrepit brain remembers playing red rover endlessly on the school oval during primary school.

I googled it and the game we actually played reads like British Bulldog and not red rover.:think::shoutyoldman: I call fake news, it will always be red rover to me.

I'm 64 and my decrepit brain remembers playing red rover endlessly on the school oval during primary school.

I googled it and the game we actually played reads like British Bulldog and not red rover.:think::shoutyoldman: I call fake news, it will always be red rover to me.
I played it under both names, it really depended on who was organising.

My kid has played it at Aussie Rules training, but I don't recall what they called it. :D

Imagine a game of rugby but there is no ball. No in goal areas either. And actually come to think of it, not really any teams either.

Kinda that.
And once you get tackled to the ground you’re in the middle and the remaining people run from one end to the other. Every time someone is tackled to the ground, the tacklers grow in numbers in the middle. Winner is the last person standing or running from end to end and often times the biggest or most evasive person. We played it on a patch of grass at school that was the size of a tennis court for context.

Yeah… I remember calling out “Red rover,red rover, can I come over.” And only one person ran first yeah? Then the rest of us? Gee I’m getting all my memories mixed up. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back