Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone else noticed how some clubs nearly always crib 1 or 2 metres on marks. Sydney are champions at it, I watched the Brisbane game and in one situation a mark was taken by a Brisbane player with a Swans chasing. He slowed to near the mark was, the umpire hadn't called stand so a team mate took his position on the mark some 5 metres in front of where the mark was taken. It was so obvious the Brisbane player had to go back further so he could kick over the cheaky bugger on the mark. Its only a small thing but when you are playing games of metres it adds up and puts extra pressure on the kickers. Smart coaching by Swans...

The Pies last year got away with it all season. What shits me is the umpire tells them 3 or 4 times to move back. When we do it they seem to not even give a warning and pay 50.

It’s a critical role if you’re going to be a front half team.

A small half forward who chases, pressures, tackles and kicks goals is a really fun player to watch. And that’s because all their best work translates into goals or shots on goal. Bonus if they can chop out in the midfield.

Bobby Hill, Kysiah Pickett, Josh Rachele, Tom Papley, Willie Rioli, Liam Ryan, Cody Weightman, Cam Zurhaar, Lincoln McCarthy, Toby Greene, Jack Higgins, Jack Ginnivan, Michael Frederick, Brent Daniels, Luke Breust, Tyson Stengle.

That Essendon guy.

Izak Rankine and Shai Bolton two of the very best who have had extended midfield roles carved out for them. Like we tried to do with Gresham as did the Hawks with Dylan Moore.

They’re all amongst the biggest names in the competition for a reason. The teams that struggle in this position, struggle to win games.

We’re a textbook example of the fact that a good defence doesn’t automatically translate into wins. But when Butler and Higgins are pumping is when we’re at our winning best.

If Collard can lift his pressure and physicality game then he will be an absolute delight to watch and our goals for tally will look much healthier.

He’s way behind his fellow draftee Nick Watson though, which highlights quite nicely the value difference of a performing small against one with potential.

Hopefully the penny drops for Lance that the harder he works on his defensive game, the more his natural offensive talent will be allowed to come to the fore.

In the meantime, if we can land a Stengle then you clear the decks.

They were actually talking about this on SEN saying small forwards are more important than talls these days.

I think it's the old story.... a bit of both. Good tall forwards are a great asset but you need a range of scoring options or you are too easy to lock down.

I feel like we are out of balance this year. Probably need a second small pressure forward that can score freely. One less tall and more from our mid sized guys like Owens.

They were actually talking about this on SEN saying small forwards are more important than talls these days.

I think it's the old story.... a bit of both. Good tall forwards are a great asset but you need a range of scoring options or you are too easy to lock down.

I feel like we are out of balance this year. Probably need a second small pressure forward that can score freely. One less tall and more from our mid sized guys like Owens.
Both are important. Most coaching systems nowadays just want their key and mid sized tall forwards to be predictable and efficient, whereas they want their smalls to be creative and agile in response to unstructured or less structured settings.

The value of a small rockets though, if in addition to their attacking X-factor they possess the mental and physical qualities to be strong with their defensive pressure. It's a tough and demanding role, and often a thankless one.

Last edited:

Both are important. Most coaching systems nowadays just want their key and mid sized tall forwards to be predictable and efficient, whereas they want their smalls to be creative and agile in response to unstructured or less structured settings.

The value of a small comes out defensively though if in addition to their attacking X-factor they possess the mental and physical qualities to be strong with their defensive pressure. It's a tough and demanding role, and often a thankless one.
I agree. I think the club needs to target another quick, pressure, goal kicking option. The giants and hawks both have a stack of options in this space.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the club needs to target another quick, pressure, goal kicking option in this space. The giants and hawks both have a stack of options in this space.
Again, Collard has all the attacking tools to be an elite small forward.

We just need him to fulfill the other half of his role. Chase, pressure and tackle relentlessly.

He doesn’t have the strength or tank yet to do it to an elite AFL standard. Nor the mindset. Yet.

Hoping that he has an epiphany soon, and then follows that up with a big off season.

I see they've named Katy Perry as the entertainment for the grand final. Interesting choice considering she's been getting absolutely panned of late in more ways than one. From the cringe of the new single and album, to her choice of producer with domestic violence issues hangin' over his head, ole Katy ain't been having a good run.

Here's a brief quote from one of the less scathing articles.

"She recently announced the release of her sixth studio album, 143. The singer has already dropped the album’s first single, Woman’s World, which has been branded a “catastrophic flop” by Rolling Stone."

Hopefully we get something to rival Meatloaf. 💩

I see they've named Katy Perry as the entertainment for the grand final. Interesting choice considering she's been getting absolutely panned of late in more ways than one. From the cringe of the new single and album, to her choice of producer with domestic violence issues hangin' over his head, ole Katy ain't been having a good run.

"She recently announced the release of her sixth studio album, 143. The singer has already dropped the album’s first single, Woman’s World, which has been branded a “catastrophic flop” by Rolling Stone."

Angry Anderson batmobile, only less a batmobile and more a dilapidated wagon with a broken smoke machine meant to simulate cloud cover that gasses those involved and she spend the rest of the set just coughing.

Angry Anderson batmobile, only less a batmobile and more a dilapidated wagon with a broken smoke machine meant to simulate cloud cover that gasses those involved and she spend the rest of the set just coughing.

Yeah, obviously coughing, but because she’s doing a milli vanilli the singing just keeps on going even after she drops the mike

Please tell me they won't shift the Grand Final to a night timeslot, just so they can let off fireworks while Katy sings the song.

Please tell me they won't shift the Grand Final to a night timeslot, just so they can let off fireworks while Katy sings the song.

Laura will do whatever Laura wants, she cares not for us mere mortals, so if we need tit cannons firing off fireworks, then by golly we'll have the perkiest breast cannons on display...

OSHA will have a field day as a stray caps a child in the face probably waving a flag around or something, everyone panics and the dance set at ground level is instead filled with panicked screaming of backup dancers. Shoulda gotten Gloria Estefan instead for the Rhythm is gunna get you just for the obvious O eh oo AAAAAAAA-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only we could get the sort of umpire favouritism Carlton are getting tonight.

They somehow manage to ignore the noise of affirmation when we play our home games at Marvel.

Free kick Charlie Curnow.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Suck shit Carlton. Now we just need to take down the Dons.
How were they going on about a 5 vs a 7 day break?
Carlton played North for heavens sake. At Marvel.
Sheesh! 🙄

Great win Port, they had everyone barracking for them apart from Carlton supporters like we will against Essendon tomorrow.

We need to lift like Port did tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back