Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really understand how GC lose so many games.

• Rowell had 30 touches, 12 clearances, 9 tackles
  • Anderson had 30 touches, 6 clearances, and a goal
  • Witts had 53 hitouts, 21 touches, 5 clearances, and a goal
  • Powell had 24 touches, 546 metres gained, 8 intercepts
  • King, Andrew, and Long all kicked 3

Surely they had enough good performers to win? How does this add up to a loss?

They have real trouble turning potential into performance. They have heaps of quality on their list but for whatever reason can't fire away from home. They are improving but still way under what they should be.

They're mentally soft. Once they break the away game hoodoo they should be better but even then I don't reckon they'd be able to fully realise their potential.

Defense.

Suns can have many goal kickers, they can win a clearance, if bal in D50, they can shit the bed, fail to extricate it past about 70m and get scored against rather heavily.

So how did they lose? Relying almost 100% on stoppage means when you turn the ball over you are cactus on rebound & spread. That's Gold Coast in a nutshell, win stoppage look great, lose outside and watch as other mob rob stoppage instances and blast away with little opposition outside of the clearance.

This is why high clearance numbers = high I50, but they got smashed in general marking and disposals were -50, then they got smashed in clearance in the last and lost that by 5 in the end. If you're going to half way or getting it rebounded right back out of I50, it's always going to be a reachable score, as we know full well.

Defense.

Suns can have many goal kickers, they can win a clearance, if bal in D50, they can shit the bed, fail to extricate it past about 70m and get scored against rather heavily.

So how did they lose? Relying almost 100% on stoppage means when you turn the ball over you are cactus on rebound & spread. That's Gold Coast in a nutshell, win stoppage look great, lose outside and watch as other mob rob stoppage instances and blast away with little opposition outside of the clearance.

This is why high clearance numbers = high I50, but they got smashed in general marking and disposals were -50, then they got smashed in clearance in the last and lost that by 5 in the end. If you're going to half way or getting it rebounded right back out of I50, it's always going to be a reachable score, as we know full well.
That doesn't really explain how their home and away form is so different. They should be getting advice from interstate sides explayers who used to dominate sides home and away, like the early 2000s Lions, etc

LDU playing a blinder with 24 touches and 3 goals at 3/4 time, are we still any chance of getting him?

If he's still a chance we need to make him an offer he can't refuse.

af00d6a3-f5fe-45ee-b25f-9a11d2cefbce_text.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't really explain how their home and away form is so different. They should be getting advice from interstate sides explayers who used to dominate sides home and away, like the early 2000s Lions, etc

That's the mental side of it, as different dimension grounds and different temperate zones make people something something. So when it gets to the point that you're still in the match, either leading or just trailing and it's a tussle, finding that extra step or extra effort to win it becomes "nah, too hard".

They should be getting advice yes, but as we're also seeing with Coff for example, there's book smart and knowing what you have to do and the actual engagement of doing the actions in question. GCS have the skill, but they've always lacked the smarts to engage those skills.

The question was just how do GCS lose games, and simply put they don't defend the outside at all, it's clearance and "here's a turnover, enjoy!" sicne then even rubbish midfields can get a clearance or two also, if they aren't 100% and they drop off, they've already lost the outside so now they lose the inside and they don't have the manic defenders to compensate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back