Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope what we have thrown away burns our players for a long time as some of them might never get another flag. Hopefully next year we atone.

What did we throw away?

We push the eventual premiers all the way in the prelim, a game we finished with a few players under injury clouds who may well not have been lining up today - both Holmes & Bruhn spent more than half of the third quarter last week on the bench with the trainers and it was likely a toss of the coin as to whom would be subbed out between those two, and doubtful either play today

Then don't forget that Stanley could barely stand at the end of the match

So we bring in SDK to ruck, Tuohy likely back into the 23 and then who else are we bringing in? Is it Clohesy or Knevitt to make their finals debut in a GF, or maybe Cam Guthrie to return after no senior football for over 4 months

Last week's loss sucks, but we would have been far from full strength today with our midfield taking even more hits than it has during the season - Sydney may have succumbed to Brisbane, but it could well have been us succumbing to Sydney if we limped over the line last week. Especially with the 23 we likely would have been fielding

Do you believe the standard of footy is as good as its ever been?

I don't, but respect if you disagree.
Oh shit yes.

Partially in terms of skill, but more so in terms of tactics.

Players are better than ever before at kicking, hand/eye coordination, they're better athletes, but above all the defensive tactics have improved out of sight. It's so rare now to see someone actually manage to get a 1 vs 1 on the end of the long kick, or find themselves in space clearing a throw-in or a ball-up - it's insane how little time the modern footballer gets.

Do you believe the standard of footy is as good as its ever been?

I don't, but respect if you disagree.

Yes, the Lions played well, but my point was that the footy has been so ordinary at times, with no clear, consistent stand out team that it was really a guess who'd win.

Hell, we were handicapped by covid, gastro, injury, and a straight up poor performance last week and the Lions only just crawled over us.

But, they're the Premiers, and kudos to them.

But I hope footy gets better next year.
The prelim is often a struggle- can not really play like there is no tomorrow as there is a week to go, but in their case, they showed all teams that they are a force, 2 weeks on end. In retrospect, their footy is the best in the comp, as it should be with that list. Who knows if they can repeat it next year or so.

It was a very even year - and some posters saying if Holmes ( and he was a huge loss ) didnt get injured in the 2nd half of PF , then we would be just about holding the Cup

However if Josh Treacy didnt hurt his knee ( and thus missed ) the week before the 3rd last game when we played Frem ( and they were higher on the ladder than us at the time ) then i dont think we beat Frem ( and it was a tight game ) over in Perth

The prelim is often a struggle- can not really play like there is no tomorrow as there is a week to go, but in their case, they showed all teams that they are a force, 2 weeks on end. In retrospect, their footy is the best in the comp, as it should be with that list. Who knows if they can repeat it next year or so.
Their second half of the year was the most consistent in the comp. Played some excellent footy to beat us. ( and others). Good on em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a very even year - and some posters saying if Holmes ( and he was a huge loss ) didnt get injured in the 2nd half of PF , then we would be just about holding the Cup

However if Josh Treacy didnt hurt his knee ( and thus missed ) the week before the 3rd last game when we played Frem ( and they were higher on the ladder than us at the time ) then i dont think we beat Frem ( and it was a tight game ) over in Perth
There are so many IF's, but the truth is what the Lions served up this September is stunning

Yes, the PF is a struggle. We've lost enough of them to agree that.....

Stop dismissing and disrespecting the Lions. You have called them a joke all year. You said we were going to smash them, then Swans would have the game sewn up at half time against them.

I picked them weeks ago as flag favourite, you kept saying they would be easy kill in finals based on their record. We were too before 2022. Facts are they were better than us when it mattered, and in general.

You were wrong.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Lions are a good but flawed team that Geelong has had the wood over in the last couple of years and it's a shame that the boys couldn't get over the line last week because this year's flag was definitely Geelong's for the taking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back