List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thought...

Considering Perryman and Cumming could be on the way out and Haynes is no longer AFL material, seeing Adam Tomlinson, a player signed to another club, sitting next to Phil Davis in the stands on Saturday arvo just made me wonder.

We're potentially losing a lot of experience in the backline.

Tomlinson wants out of Melbourne.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he could find his way back to the Giants?
Only 1 game off life membership if I remember rightly too.

Edit. Not saying we should get him but have faith in the coaching group into who they bring I and let go.

Last edited:

Interesting no club of choice.............yet !

If lose one or both Pez / Cumming and Haynes surely would be worth the question

Interesting no club of choice.............yet !

If lose one or both Pez / Cumming and Haynes surely would be worth the question
Lol that's a ruse. He's a lock to go to Geelong

Not sure on what planet we can let Peatling walk, he’s currently in our top couple of mids and fits the list profile perfectly, given Cogs and Kelly are reaching their twilight years

Last edited:
Not sure on what planet we can let Peatling walk, he’s currently in our top couple of mids and fits the list profile perfectly
It would be a real blow to lose him now. He’s apparently getting big offers from other clubs but I think he’ll stay if we can put something decent on the table for 3+ years. I’m no expert on how these contracts are constructed, but that third year and beyond could be crucial to getting the deal done with Coniglio and Greene off contract at the end of 2026, freeing up a lot of salary cap space.

Lol that's a ruse. He's a lock to go to Geelong

Not sure on what planet we can let Peatling walk, he’s currently in our top couple of mids and fits the list profile perfectly, given Cogs and Kelly are reaching their twilight years

Mad to think we only recently upped Peatling's offer from one year to two years. We should at the very least offer him a 3 year deal with triggers for a fourth.

Sometimes back-ended contracts can bite you pretty hard on the bum and be a major financial burden in those later years, but I think Peatling is worth it.
I think they’re most risky for players at the wrong end of their careers. You don’t want to be stuck with an overpaid 33 year old that no other club wants and can’t crack your own starting team. The risk with Peatling is pretty low given his age.

Sometimes back-ended contracts can bite you pretty hard on the bum and be a major financial burden in those later years, but I think Peatling is worth it.

Offer him 4 years.
Agreed, while his kicking needs work, his pressure and tackling is top tier.
when you add that with he is a Western Sydney boy this should not be that hard.
Let’s remember Jack Steele never wanted to leave, we kicked him out and look how he has gone. Peatling could be a bigger backfire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they’re most risky for players at the wrong end of their careers. You don’t want to be stuck with an overpaid 33 year old that no other club wants and can’t crack your own starting team. The risk with Peatling is pretty low given his age.
The other time it is a risk is this scenario where a player who shows dramatic improvement over a relatively short period of time.
You're not quite sure if they have worked it out and are going to be a good player or are they just in good form.

You're not quite sure if they have worked it out and are going to be a good player or are they just in good form.
In JP’s case I think we have a large enough sample size to suggest he’s a very professional player who will bring effort and energy to our team every week.

He won’t be a game breaking Heeney, Bont or Daicos type (few are) but he’s shown he can play at a level that’s worthy of ‘average’ or above senior footy money - say $400-500k.

We are obviously very tight on the cap which is unsurprising given some of the re-signings and the fact a few of them like Hogan would have been significant increases!

I like Peatling, I hate that he missed from right in front but he’s always been a trier and he’s a role player that can get his hands dirty.

I’d give him 3 years with an option in club’s favour of a 4th. If he still wanted more he can go.

Let’s say we lose all three:

Ash Taylor Fonti
Whitfield Buckley Idun
Ward Cogs Kelly
Greene Cadman Riccardi
Jones Hogan Binga

Briggs Bedford Greene

Muff Callaghan HH

Last two spots between the like of Gothard, Leake, Rowston etc

Our depth beyond our top 26 or so is probably a concern but otherwise we look good.

This would see us with a bunch of draft picks to use too.

Ash Taylor Fonti
Whitfield Buckley Idun
Ward Cogs Kelly
Greene Cadman Riccardi
Jones Hogan Binga

Briggs Bedford Greene

Muff Callaghan HH

Our depth beyond our top 26 or so is probably a concern but otherwise we look good.

Worst case scenario sees us in reasonable shape. We'd need to pick up a fringe player or two ourselves from elsewhere to stock up on depth.
Agree that we could get another couple of gems via the draft to top up.

Worst case scenario sees us in reasonable shape. We'd need to pick up a fringe player or two ourselves from elsewhere to stock up on depth.
Agree that we could get another couple of gems via the draft to top up.
Yep… we are losing 3 guys in their mid 20’s… that’s not ideal for our age profile.

Cannot afford to loose all three. That would be be too much experience and poor management.
In finals games experience is required and you cannot replace this easily.

Ash Taylor Fonti
Whitfield Buckley Idun
Ward Cogs Kelly
Greene Cadman Riccardi
Jones Hogan Binga

Briggs Bedford Greene

Muff Callaghan HH

Could Gothard or Leake play this week ( I know one is injured, so the other one).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back