Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll start by saying I love Nash and I love Worpel, they both provide far more value than the stats let on.

BUT if we get Bailey Smith it's not about how do we fit him in, it's about how do we fit those other two in. Regardless, awesome problem to have.
Agree significant problem and nice to have.

Battle, Smith, Perryman and Taylor. We need to potentially fit them all in. We need to be responsible with Draft capital and what each individual would cost. The good news is the Club is aware of the balance. It really is.
Taylor is the big one.

Battle and Perryman walk straight through. We have enough capital in Gunners, Punky and Wingard retiring soon.

Smith will be worth around pick 8-12. Front end his contract.

If Ginni gets into Smith's ear he would surely come our way. Your point about McRae is a good one. Ginni has expressed frustration with the rigid system that he had to play in at the Pies. He's loving his time at the Hawks and Mitchell has expressed his happiness for players to "be who they are". Chol is another one who is benefitting from being given another chance but also upping his effort rate since coming to the club. Massimo is being given a chance and shining. You would the line that "we're a happy team at Hawthorn" is being shown week after week. Smith seems to need a bit of love and I think that he could get it at the Hawks.

My only concern is how Smith sees himself fitting into our midfield. He wants to be an inside mid and would give us a point of difference with his acceleration compared to Worpel and Nash. But who goes out for him to go in? That's the conundrum. If you listened to the Gunston 250th podcast, Gunners was not sure how he would fit into the forward line with Buddy, Ruff and Cyril etc. if he came to the Hawks and that was a concern with him at the time. If Nash left as a RFA you would think that Hustwaite would be his replacement. If Worpel left (as a pre Free Agent), Smith might have a chance although CMac, Ward and Croc would also out their hand up.

I doubt Nash will leave but people are underrating what he brings to our side.

I don't think there are many players in the AFL let alone in our reserves side that can bring what he does. He helps Day, Newk and Worpel shine by allowing them to play to their strengths and he will do the same for Smith.

There is a reason why the Cats are sniffing around for him and they don't chase bad players.

Taylor is the big one.

Battle and Perryman walk straight through. We have enough capital in Gunners, Punky and Wingard retiring soon.

Smith will be worth around pick 8-12. Front end his contract.
Is Taylor a possibility this year? Can’t see it myself, don’t think we have enough draft capital to get it done especially if Smith comes to us.

Is Battle someone we'd consider or think about if he didn't happen to fall into the FA bracket this year?
I don’t think we as supporters would given he plays at St Kilda (gets less media attention) and isn’t a flashy type.

But I think the club would have had an eye on him for a while. And if we’re chasing him then it will be because he addresses a list need rather than because “he’s free”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is zero chance of Taylor coming to the Hawks.

The AFL will not allow it.

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back