Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam McClure on the tradies podcast said he things Smith to Geelong. Cleary said he was not ruling out the Hawks.

All Hawk bias aside, I'd be stunned if Baz chose Geelong over Hawthorn.

Unless it's a Buddy style situation where he wants to escape the limelight of Melbourne (which I'd understand).

You'd think we'd have more to offer $$$ wise.
Plus he's be joining a group of young men his own age just starting a new journey into (hopefully) contending again.

Haven't even taken into consideration his allegiances as a kid supporting us. People constantly downplay this, but we recruit so many former Hawthorn fans through trading and drafting that I'm convinced it isn't coincidental.

Unless it's a Buddy style situation where he wants to escape the limelight of Melbourne (which I'd understand).

Plus he's be joining a group of young men his own age just starting a new journey into (hopefully) contending again.

Haven't even taken into consideration his allegiances as a kid supporting us. People constantly downplay this, but we recruit so many former Hawthorn fans through trading and drafting that I'm convinced it isn't coincidental.

Shiel, Cogs et al. In my mind he is absolutely going to Geelong until I see him in front of Kanga in some hastily grabbed merchandise.

A few free agent re-signings been announced lately. Any word on Hardwick? Anyone?
Heard last night on the news we are working on, close to finalising a long term deal. I don’t think we need to worry about Dimma leaving based on how hard he sung the song on Sat ……. and Mitch giving him some time up forward 😂

Shiel, Cogs et al. In my mind he is absolutely going to Geelong until I see him in front of Kanga in some hastily grabbed merchandise.

Did Shiel and Cogs make as much sense as Baz though?

Cogs decided to stay at a premiership contender in a city he was settled in.

Shiel actually didn't care where he ended up. If memory serves me correct, right at the end of trade period he thought he was going to Carlton, but Essendon came late with a better deal and he was happy to oblige.

I agree. No disrespect to Geelong, because I could honestly see myself living there or somewhere similar some day, but why would the biggest star in footy since Buddy move to a quiet town with the population of Hobart?

If he wanted to get out of the limelight he (I assume) would move to Sydney/GWS like Buddy.

Shiel actually didn't care where he ended up. If memory serves me correct, right at the end of trade period he thought he was going to Carlton, but Essendon came late with a better deal and he was happy to oblige.

Wasn't about making sense - both deals were as good as done until the rug got pulled on us. I have learned from that to not get my hopes up.

Cogs' hand was forced though, doesn't sound like he was given much option in the end, thanks to Gil.

Shiel would have been quite happy to come to us too, is good mates with Tom Mitchell and would have liked to play with him. GWS asked too much for him though. Bullet dodged (as nice as a guy he is).

I'm not going to sit here and say that I think he'll 100% choose us because it only ever brings on disappointment. I am however confident that his choice will come down to us or the scats. If you believe in the so called rumours of under the table land deals then money won't be an issue if he chooses them over us and that's not even brining into account the association with Cotton On.

Now having said all this I do get the feeling that Baz's decision with which like most players will invariably come down to money it will also come down to the coaching relationship and the playing group that is there. Coming out of a situation like at the Dogs playing under a coach like Bevo I really think he'll be looking to play for a coach that will give him the licence to play to his strengths (be a free spirit) and to play with a young energetic group of happy go lucky youngsters with the both having his back at every turn.

Long story short the AFL world might not be ready for Baz, Ginni, Macdonald and CJ end of season Vegas trips. Who was it again did the club get to chaperone Buddy around all those years ago? 😂

Last edited:

The childhood allegiance is a factor, no doubt, but a lot of it also has to do with our coach and how much connection players have to him as a recently retired player and how they’d look up to him.

The other thing people seem to overlook or not know here is that his manager D’orazio is big on us and what we are building, as are quite a few in the industry. Just listen to Bartel for example, who was still pumping up our future prospects even when we were losing, saying he wanted to buy Hawks stock.
Robbie has liked what he’s seen and heard from his players on our list for a couple of years now.

Lastly, Baz has a very good connection with Day, CJ, Ginni and others. Our list is prime for someone of his age, and would look like a place to be.

Chris Scott would be going all out to land Baz, because they simply have to.

The childhood allegiance is a factor, no doubt, but a lot of it also has to do with our coach and how much connection players have to him as a recently retired player and how they’d look up to him.

The other thing people seem to overlook or not know here is that his manager D’orazio is big on us and what we are building, as are quite a few in the industry. Just listen to Bartel for example, who was still pumping up our future prospects even when we were losing.
Robbie has liked what he’s seen and heard from his players on our list for a couple of years now.

Lastly, Baz has a very good connection with Day, CJ, Ginni and others. Our list is prime for someone of his age, and would look like a place to be.

Chris Scott would be going all out to land Baz, because they simply have to.
The tables are turning.

Smash Geelong on their dung heap in 3 weeks, and it will add more credibility to our case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a ridiculous evaluation of both players.

Smith was a prime contributor in getting the Bulldogs to a GF in his 3rd season, kicking 10 goals in the finals series from midfield / half-forward.

Ward is unable to break into a side that was bottom 6 until this weekend in his 3rd season.

Baz's down season in 2022 he still averaged 24 touches (down from 30 the year prior), something Ward has only managed a handful of times. To suggest they are of comparable value is somewhere between ridiculous and stupid.

I hope that Ward makes it as much as any Hawks fan, but he's a long way back compared to what Smith would offer us.
There was no comparision of match value of Ward & Smith, only their trade value.

Both IMO are around mid-1st round.

Match value comparision is with whichever current midfielder Smith would replace in our lineup. Who is this in your opinion, is it Newk or Nash or ??? How much better will be get with such a move.

PS : I only offer Ward up as I feel he will get stuck if we recruit Smith and one of him or HH will leave... I see more potential in HH and would like to keep him.

Last edited:
Baz doesn't really have a bad choice, the clubs are all in different situations but very well run.

Do you want to be the main guy, Geelong.
Do you want a crack at a premiership next year, Collingwood, Geelong.
Do you want to play with some of your mates, Collingwood, Hawthorn.
Do you want to play in front of massive crowds in big games at the G, Collingwood.
Do you want to play for your childhood club you supported with a childhood hero as the coach, Hawthorn.
Do you want to get out of Melbourne and enjoy the beach lifestyle, Geelong.
Do you want an opportunity at potentially long term success, Hawthorn. But Collingwood and Geelong are never down for long.

Baz doesn't really have a bad choice, the clubs are all in different situations but very well run.

Do you want to be the main guy, Geelong.
Do you want a crack at a premiership next year, Collingwood, Geelong.
Do you want to play with some of your mates, Collingwood, Hawthorn.
Do you want to play in front of massive crowds in big games at the G, Collingwood.
Do you want to play for your childhood club you supported, Hawthorn.
Do you want an opportunity at potentially long term success, Hawthorn. But Collingwood and Geelong are never down for long.
Collingwood are about to fall off the cliff and right at the worst time IMO - Tassie will suck up the picks in the coming drafts.

Pies have 1 player on their list under 28 from the top 10 of the draft. Nick D.

Mitchell, Mihocek, Elliot, Cox, Pendlebury, Sidebum, Howe, WHE….all need to be replaced over the next 2-3 years and if they miss on a target or two they will be in free-fall like we were in 2017.

McRae does like role players and system, but talent wise it is looking ominous for them. I’d be staggered if Baz chose them over us, with what we have been building/showing over the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Collingwood are about to fall off the cliff and right at the worst time - Tassie will suck up the picks in the coming drafts.

Mitchell, Mihocek, Elliot, Cox, Pendlebury, Sidebum, Howe, WHE….all need to be replaced over the next 2-3 years and if they miss on a target or two they will be in free-fall like we were in 2017.

McRae does like role players and system, but talent wise it is looking ominous for them. I’d be staggered if Baz chose them over us, with what we have been building/showing over the last 12 months.
Yeah Collingwood probably has the most risk to be stuck at a battling club through the bulk of your prime years, but also the biggest chance to win a premiership next year if they landed him.

Obviously I think it's an easy decision and it's come play for the mighty hawks in our next dynasty.

Not that it matters to the subject if this thread, but Taylor himself said he took less than what was on the table to stay and also to help keep good players in the team and attract more. Said he was always intending to stay an Giant and it was an easy decision.

Maybe he’s talking shit, but that wasn’t the vibe I got listening to him.

Actual contract maybe. But Ambassador payments are separate and we have no clue how much extra money GWS get.

Yeah Collingwood probably has the most risk to be stuck at a battling club through the bulk of your prime years, but also the biggest chance to win a premiership next year if they landed him.

Obviously I think it's an easy decision and it's come play for the mighty hawks in our next dynasty.
True.

The simple calculation is “do I risk going to a club to win a flag but who’s window could be not far off closing for a long time, or do I move to a club that has an opportunity to open up a 5-6 year premiership window?”

Collingwood are about to fall off the cliff and right at the worst time - Tassie will suck up the picks in the coming drafts.

Geelong also have Duncan, Tuohy, Hawkins, Cameron, Guthrie, Blicavs, Stewart, Danger all to be retired in the next three years.

They will have a drop off after this year. They lack top enders in the midfield and the flanks. An adjustment period at the least.

Baz wants to be the guy. He wants to be great. Scott will be in his ear.

What we offer is an exciting list with a great mentality that is growing. Day, Nash and Newk can take away the opposition attention, so Baz can do his thing.

If Baz goes to Geelong, he will be targeted. It will be a one man job. Our system suits his game, with a better opportunity to succeed individually and as a team.

Collingwood are about to fall off the cliff and right at the worst time IMO - Tassie will suck up the picks in the coming drafts.

He only needs to look at how Taranto and Hopper are going to get cold feet on a move to the Pies imo

He only needs to look at how Taranto and Hopper are going to get cold feet on a move to the Pies imo
Yeah, not sure I see Collingwood being a big threat next year. Age brings injuries and longer recoveries.
This current year is being crippled by injury and father time will not help Collingwood with this predicament IMO.

As a self-appointed non bias judge I fail to see how we dont land Baz as long as we offer similar coin (IMO).

Geelong also have Duncan, Tuohy, Hawkins, Cameron, Guthrie, Blicavs, Stewart, Danger all to be retired in the next three years.

They will have a drop off after this year. They lack top enders in the midfield and the flanks. An adjustment period at the least.

Baz wants to be the guy. He wants to be great. Scott will be in his ear.

What we offer is an exciting list with a great mentality that is growing. Day, Nash and Newk can take away the opposition attention, so Baz can do his thing.

If Baz goes to Geelong, he will be targeted. It will be a one man job. Our system suits his game, with a better opportunity to succeed individually and as a team.
Wasn't there talk that Scott could pull a Dimma and head to the Lions if / once the bottom falls out at Geelong? He's contracted until the end of 2026 but that doesn't mean :poo: in today's day and age. He also seems the type that would abandon ship once a free fall sets in.

Round 17 against them will give a scope for where we / they are on their home deck. Bring it on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back