Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam a few times this year has said he doesn’t want to rely on an individual midfielder to get it 30 times a week ……. would prefer a number of mids that contribute in the low 20’s each week which is essentially what has been happening over the last few months.

Re Smith he seems to be leaving the Dogs due to a lack of midfield opportunity. Not sure if this is aligned to Sam’s team ethos and unless Smith is willing to play a role for what’s best for the team 🤔

I see what you're getting at but his 2021, especially the finals series has shown that he is capable of pushing that kind of level.

Given an inside role I would say his playstyle is pretty comparable to Warner, line breaking speed, tackle breaking, insane work rate etc. Smith is also a decent finisher around the sticks (on both feet) and knows when to avoid getting sucked into the contest and position himself as the outlet.

His kicking issues are also overblown, he is a long, penetrating kick, he can keep kicks low inside 50 on both feet. Has a tendency to sometimes overkick the footy but its not the loopy, inviting pressure type kicks, it's a bullet that goes over someone's head or wide which is imo pretty fixable (James Worpel prime example), and often a symptom of the pace he plays at. Over time he will find the balance of speed needed to escape away and hit targets consistently.

I'm not saying he doesn't have flaws but I think if he can recapture his 2021 form, and add an extra 10% of that, then we have a serious player on our hands.

Also his entire super marketable brand is pretty dependent on him being an elite player on a good team, so he has ample motivation.
He had a great couple of finals leading up to that loss in 2021, that's true, but offensively (in terms of goals) I don't think he ever really showed anywhere near that beforehand and he hasn't since. Obviously has now missed a year through injury. I think the qualm I have a lot of the time is assuming that because a player did something once that they can and will get to that level again. It's a bit much to hope for that to be his new benchmark when all the evidence is that it was a purple patch and that the expectation of him is more of a guy who accumulates, links up well and occasionally bangs it forward.

That's not really the point anyway. I'm not saying we shouldn't be targeting him, I'm pretty sure in this thread I said Bailey Smith was a good get because of his versatility through the middle and his ability to impact as a mid, HFF and wing, but I think there's a propensity to overrate other team's players as much as there is one to overrate our own.

I don't know why ppl doubt this

It's bizarre - our midfield cupboard was bare for so long and now that we have a good young core some people are flippantly talking about trading out Ward. Just baffling.

He had a great couple of finals leading up to that loss in 2021, that's true, but offensively (in terms of goals) I don't think he ever really showed anywhere near that beforehand and he hasn't since. Obviously has now missed a year through injury. I think the qualm I have a lot of the time is assuming that because a player did something once that they can and will get to that level again. It's a bit much to hope for that to be his new benchmark when all the evidence is that it was a purple patch and that the expectation of him is more of a guy who accumulates, links up well and occasionally bangs it forward.

That's not really the point anyway. I'm not saying we shouldn't be targeting him, I'm pretty sure in this thread I said Bailey Smith was a good get because of his versatility through the middle and his ability to impact as a mid, HFF and wing, but I think there's a propensity to overrate other team's players as much as there is one to overrate our own.
Yep I get what you're saying and agree on both points, just providing reasoning as to why I think Smith is more worth the hype than other names that have popped up in this thread.

Yep I get what you're saying and agree on both points, just providing reasoning as to why I think Smith is more worth the hype than other names that have popped up in this thread.
I agree, of the names available I think Smith is the most obvious fit and providing the biggest up front improvement.

Very good player but i am not paying what it would take to get a 29 year old player to the club.
Why wouldn’t you ?

Hes probably got 3/4 yrs left at least.
It’s, IMO our biggest need.

Our back line is humming along nicely but he would compliment it beautifully.

He’d end up a 3x HFC premiership player 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t you ?

Hes probably got 3/4 yrs left at least.
It’s, IMO our biggest need.

Our back line is humming along nicely but he would compliment it beautifully.

He’d end up a 3x HFC premiership player 😉
He is contracted for 3 more years, they are only letting him go for a haul. He will be 31/32 by the time we are hoping to be contending.

As a free agent i would be willing, trading for him i just think the timelines don't match up.

If we don’t get him, battle stays and so does Perryman what is the use of having a so called war chest of money, with what we have shown this year so far, unless players want to see if it’s just not a flash in the pan season, and if we back it up next year and even improve again then they will start to come.
War chest is for top of top quality players. Smith alone fits that, Battle & Perryman not so much.

If they don't come for reasonable offers, then we spend war chest on our top quality players so that their heads don't turn at other offers.
On Wardy, at the 'Inside The Huddle' function last night at the MCG, Sam said he expected him to be a 200-game player and (Sam) was desperately trying to figure out a way to get him in the side. The context was how tight it is right now for spots.
Simplest way is to swap Ward for Mackenzie if no spot opens up in the name of rotation if no spots open up organically. Ward would likely perform at same level as CMac.

He is contracted for 3 more years, they are only letting him go for a haul. He will be 31/32 by the time we are hoping to be contending.

As a free agent i would be willing, trading for him i just think the timelines don't match up.
I think we’ll be contending before then. 😉

I don’t think WCE would demand a kings ransom.
They need to hit the draft, now.
They need to use players with draft value to re-build before Tas come in.

Barrass is not in their next flag. He is in ours.
I’d chase him, at the right price.
Obviously I’m not suggesting we pay overs, but neither club is Freo/Ess when it comes to trading.

Obviously I’m not suggesting we pay overs, but neither club is Freo/Ess when it comes to trading.
I hope he would be in ours but that is far from certain. What do you consider a reasonable price for him?

I agree, however the dogs are pushing heaven and earth to get him.
He would fit our backline superbly.

It's bizarre - our midfield cupboard was bare for so long and now that we have a good young core some people are flippantly talking about trading out Ward. Just baffling.

Ward and Maginness I would keep, , while they are not currently best 22, they are best 27, which makes them both valuable depth players.

I hope he would be in ours but that is far from certain. What do you consider a reasonable price for him?
Well nothing certain in AFL football.

To be honest, I don’t really get into the hypothetical of what I’d trade for players, so I can’t answer that without either looking stupid or a genius 😂
I don’t think I’ve ever posted a trade hypothetical.

He’s just a player that I think we should ask about & pay the price for if we think it’s fair.
As I alluded to, WCE & HFC usually trade for win/win. Neither club is known to screw others over, like the 2 in my previous post

Well nothing certain in AFL football.

To be honest, I don’t really get into the hypothetical of what I’d trade for players, so I can’t answer that without either looking stupid or a genius 😂
I don’t think I’ve ever posted a trade hypothetical.

He’s just a player that I think we should ask about & pay the price for if we think it’s fair.
As I alluded to, WCE & HFC usually trade for win/win. Neither club is known to screw others over, like the 2 in my previous post
Sure but a win for West Coast has to be significant currency and it is risky as a team still only just showing signs of moving up the ladder to be going after a near 30 year old with our limited draft currency. I think that is the move you make when he is the last piece of the puzzle. I think we are still a year or two away from going all in on that type of player.

I agree, however the dogs are pushing heaven and earth to get him.
He would fit our backline superbly.
Dogs are reported to be keen but I just don’t see them winning a flag in the near future.

I don’t know, I just see them as middle of the road type side. They play some good footy & then play some shit footy but never really top class footy

Others will disagree & that’s fine.

It comes down to what Barrass wants.
$$, flags or both
He’ll get $$ wherever he plays but he won’t get another flag at WCE

Everyone here will be doing cartwheels when Baz lands.
He is a star.
I won't be. I'll love him to pieces, but if I do even one cartwheel, they'll be wheeling me out on a stretcher.

On Wardy, at the 'Inside The Huddle' function last night at the MCG, Sam said he expected him to be a 200-game player and (Sam) was desperately trying to figure out a way to get him in the side. The context was how tight it is right now for spots.
Thanks hawkheart any other revelations on the night. I didn't get there

Barrass would be a bold move. He’s 29 (but 9 months younger than Sicily) so would put a pretty defined say 3 or so year window on winning a flag (before our backline starts to look old). But he’s a gun and that centrepiece key defender our backline is missing. I imagine he’s not going to come cheap to prise him out of WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back