Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Mitchell’s desire to see Hawthorn improve since taking over in 2022 has seen him ring opposition clubs to spark interest in players the Hawks want to trade"

Was this ever confirmed that he did this? Seems like a BS story drummed up at the time that we were trying to flog off players. It was dressed as players that "nobody wanted", yet had multiple suitors the year after, so sounded like a load of crap to me.

Have we spoken about the pending draft and trade changes and how it could impact our decisions?

Assuming the whispers are true,

• Can trade multiple years of picks (up to 3)
  • Can trade cap space for picks
  • premium on top 3 round picks

Now using our list profile and the way we are heading, I don’t think we’ll have enough cap space to buy picks - but should we consider buying cap space instead? Before a market is set, is a future second worth $500k?

Also, given we are going to go up the ladder from here, do we keep our first this year, trade a future first and second for Smith and even considering trading a 26 1st for someone now who would help us?

A lot to consider.

Signs of desperation. Staying.
I’m not sure desperation is the right way to put it, Mitch has shown his willingness to get in front of players he wants.

The Saints are going to get band 1 compo… could it end up being a case of the Saints pulling back here. Especially if it’s going to be pick 5 or 6.

"Mitchell’s desire to see Hawthorn improve since taking over in 2022 has seen him ring opposition clubs to spark interest in players the Hawks want to trade"

Was this ever confirmed that he did this? Seems like a BS story drummed up at the time that we were trying to flog off players. It was dressed as players that "nobody wanted", yet had multiple suitors the year after, so sounded like a load of crap to me.
I think it was pretty much confirmed. A lot of reports from various people in the media and I don't think we ever denied it.

Have we spoken about the pending draft and trade changes and how it could impact our decisions?

Assuming the whispers are true,

• Can trade multiple years of picks (up to 3)
  • Can trade cap space for picks
  • premium on top 3 round picks

Now using our list profile and the way we are heading, I don’t think we’ll have enough cap space to buy picks - but should we consider buying cap space instead? Before a market is set, is a future second worth $500k?

Also, given we are going to go up the ladder from here, do we keep our first this year, trade a future first and second for Smith and even considering trading a 26 1st for someone now who would help us?

A lot to consider.
We have been discussing these options/changes for some six months that I am aware of.

Expect an announcement from the AFL very soon.

Jagga will be top 5. Even top 3.

There's no way the Dogs take a F1 for Baz.
It will be this year's 1st, or he's off to the Cats.

Next years first will be highly sort after, one of the last drafts before Tassie enters.

AFL.com reported under 16’s is being highly followed by clubs this year. More so than normal.

Signs of desperation. Staying.
That’s a very negative take.

I don’t know how common this approach is in the AFL player market but I know in terms of corporate recruiting if you’re “the talent” being head hunted by another company then you’re going to talk to a lot of recruiters who will all sell you on the job and how great it’s going to be. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t.

To actually be reached out to by the hiring manager or their 1up and for them to lay out in detail why you’re their guy and go into specifics about how your skills will fit into what they’re doing means a lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I meant more have we discussed here.

We can either be observers at the beginning to test out the lay of the land, or take a risk.
Yeah been thrown around here during the bye week due to nothing else being on. Dont think three years will happen, pick purchasing wont happen and they are now saying the top 54 picks will be the only ones that have any points value

I am hoping that Tyler is just doing the old Shakespeare/Lemon (miss that bastard) thing of being ultra negative to will it into existence.
The mail is solid. I'd be staggered if it's wrong.
Mitch must have caught wind he was staying. Sounds like a last ditch attempt to be fair.

Didn't Mitch have personal chats with Mckay and Henry ? Hopefully his reputation improving as a coach helps us this time around.
Well Battle did have a front row seat to what he could be coming to a couple of games ago. Let's see how it all plays out. Saints just came off their bye so if he doesn't re-sign in about 2 weeks then it could very well mean he's goneski.

The mail is solid. I'd be staggered if it's wrong.
Mitch must have caught wind he was staying. Sounds like a last ditch attempt to be fair.
As far as last ditch attempts go, happy with a phone call. Hope it doesn’t progress to rocking up at his hotel door unannounced on his end of season holiday.

So who's leaking this?

All good coaches would be talking to potential big targets from other clubs.

Def wouldn't be the hawthorn side, so only thing I can think is the saints or Battle's side. Trying to squeeze more?
Doesn’t need to be a leak. Just need to say “sources” and the journos feel they can say what they like, unless Mitchell comes out and says “I’ve never spoke to Battle”, which surely he has done at some stage over his life.

As far as last ditch attempts go, happy with a phone call. Hope it doesn’t progress to rocking up at his hotel door unannounced on his end of season holiday.
or like when the Clippers locked DeAndre Jordan in his house and refused to let him answer his phone until he resigned with them instead of the reported deal with the Mavs...could see Ross doing that if it goes Hawthorn's way

or like when the Clippers locked DeAndre Jordan in his house and refused to let him answer his phone until he resigned with them instead of the reported deal with the Mavs...could see Ross doing that if it goes Hawthorn's way
I was more thinking like the movie Celtic Pride where Dan Aykroyd and Daniel Stern kidnap Damon Wayans during the NBA Finals so the Celtics win.

Could totally see Ross the Boss trying to pull off a move like that 😂😂😂

600full-celtic-pride-poster.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back