Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass feels a lot like Lake in that it makes sense for a team with a win now window that’s going to drop off in a couple of years. Was perfect for us in 2012 with Lake.

Barrass will be past his best when our list is peaking.

Plus Lake was twice the player Barrass is and cost pretty much nothing in comparison. Eagles won’t let him go without us paying a King’s ransom.

Not only did Lake come cheap trade wise but he also took a massive pay cut for success.

Barrass looking for a big pay day.

Thanks, but no thanks

Gee some hawk supporters are still stuck in the latter clarko/ wrighty years, way too giving... To see posters talking up Barras as if he's worth two firsts in the open market boggles the mind! And to rate him as high as Sicily? Yea right. Ok.

Want and need Battle more than any other target this off season. Battle prolongs Sicily' a career on top of allowing Weddle playing up the ground all the while cutting off Oppo entries at will!!
Barras would be a good get but frost and blanck are capable of covering at FB.

I reckon it's the wrong time to get Barass - it's a year or two out of being a perfect match. (if he was 2 years younger, or we were another year into the rebuild.)

Battle is a really good fit for age and quality and structure. If that doesn't come to fruition then we really just need to find a backline equivalent of Chol.

If we add that backline piece then I would like to see Weddle in the forward line taking Gunston's role. Weddle/Chol/Dear as the tall forwards would be great.
Agree.
Battle or draft imo.
Barrass the superior player at a higher cost, and 29 is just a bit too old for us right now.

We have improvement in our young mids and young KPP.

A first round trade should be for a prime age gun w plenty of runway if we stumble for a year - which is not uncommon for a rising team.

We are closer to 2007 than 2013 imo.
And recall that we had to rebuild again after 2008.

In 2012 we had just lost the GF, despite being the best team all year. We had a side that had proven elite players on every line of the field, and the only position we were lacking in was KPD. That team was developed and primed for sustained success, and had proven it was one of the best (the best) sides in the competition.

IMO this would be the same if we were having this discussion regarding Barrass in a year or two.

This season we are flying home with a wet sail, but will still likely miss out on finals as we are relying on other results to fall our way (provided we keep winning). We also have Frost having a career best season, who is of a similar age.

Lake came cheap, and was the most obvious missing piece traded in that I can ever remember. Such a seamless fit.
Yep agree with this - cheaper and we were a bee’s dick off a flag

Agree.
Battle or draft imo.
Barrass the superior player at a higher cost, and 29 is just a bit too old for us right now.

We have improvement in our young mids and young KPP.

A first round trade should be for a prime age gun w plenty of runway if we stumble for a year - which is not uncommon for a rising team.

We are closer to 2007 than 2013 imo.
And recall that we had to rebuild again after 2008.
We still won a flag in 2008 though.

Why is everyone acting like our list is going to implode when Barrass retires if we trade for him? We should be aiming to compete and win as soon as possible.

We may as well trade Sicily if 29 is too old.

I don't mind Barrass but he's not going to be around in 3-5 years when our squad will all have played 100+ games.

I'f we are chasing in contract players, I'd prefer to chase players like 24yo Tom McCartin and hand over our 1st plus for him than Barrass.

We still won a flag in 2008 though.

Why is everyone acting like our list is going to implode when Barrass retires if we trade for him? We should be aiming to compete and win as soon as possible.

We may as well trade Sicily if 29 is too old.

The years of late-Clarkoism has people dreading anything close to topping up - and I don’t blame them. Agree with you though - if we can improve our list then we damn well do it.

The years of late-Clarkoism has people dreading anything close to topping up - and I don’t blame them. Agree with you though - if we can improve our list then we damn well do it.
I don't get it. Clarko tried to transplant an entirely new engine room, bringing in Barrass is just filling in a gap. It's more like the Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne and Lake deals than the Wingard and O'Meara ones.

I don't get it. Clarko tried to transplant an entirely new engine room, bringing in Barrass is just filling in a gap. It's more like the Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne and Lake deals than the Wingard and O'Meara ones.
It does feel a lot like +Lake, albeit Barrass is probs not (quite) the '1 missing piece'.

Still, no reason Barrass wouldn't be good for 2x Flags before handing over to Blanck entering his prime.

It does feel a lot like +Lake, albeit Barrass is probs not (quite) the '1 missing piece'.

Still, no reason Barrass wouldn't be good for 2x Flags before handing over to Blanck entering his prime.
The way the league is at the moment it feels like most clubs are 1 smart move away from really challenging. If we can steal a flag early it gives us plenty of opportunity to keep fighting for one, or maybe even retool for more later down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honesty time. Who was upset we didnt get B. McKay ?
Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan

Bit of a contradictory statement here, but that's fine.

What's the team look like if we bring in both Barass and Battle? Using tomorrow's lineup:

14] Jack Scrimshaw, [8] Sam Frost for Barass, [4] Jarman Impey
[9] Changkuoth Jiath, [6] James Sicily, [32] Finn Maginness for Battle (maybe swap w/ Sicily)
[13] Dylan Moore, [3] Jai Newcombe, [10] Karl Amon
[33] Jack Ginnivan, [12] Will Day, [34] Nick Watson
[18] Mabior Chol, [15] Blake Hardwick, [11] Conor Nash
17] Lloyd Meek, [5] James Worpel, [25] Josh Ward
[16] Massimo D'Ambrosio, [31] Connor Macdonald, [35] Calsher Dear, [23] Josh Weddle, [22] Luke Breust

It's as easy as that I think? Maybe Maginness of the next best young midfielder to the bench for Breust?

Eagles will have a new coach coming in and they have list holes everywhere so need a lot of pieces to get them competing again. Then you have Tassie coming in in a couple of years, compromising the draft so if they play hard ball with Barrass, like asking for 2 first i reckon clubs will bauk at that and he just stays there and they miss out on a decent pick to help with rebuild.

The rumored clubs to be interested are us, bulldogs and pies (i think). Bulldogs don't have any 1st rounders but will likely get one for Smith (lets say pick 14 from geelong) and maybe one for English if he leaves, around the 10 mark. We will have our 1st rounder (probably will be around 10) and pies have nothing, so unless Dogs are willing to let go off those 2 firsts (unlikely), it'll be 1 first and then it just comes down to where he wants to go.

People stressing about free agents / trades.

Last year we were linked to McKay / Rat / Henry etc and ended up with none of them. We ended up picking up Chol Ginni Mass and the rest is history. I know who I’d rather have.

Don’t stress folks. We’re Hawthorn. Everything will work out fine.

As John Lennon and the Beatles said…..let it be!
Paul wrote let it be.

In 2012 we had just lost the GF, despite being the best team all year. We had a side that had proven elite players on every line of the field, and the only position we were lacking in was KPD. That team was developed and primed for sustained success, and had proven it was one of the best (the best) sides in the competition.

IMO this would be the same if we were having this discussion regarding Barrass in a year or two.

This season we are flying home with a wet sail, but will still likely miss out on finals as we are relying on other results to fall our way (provided we keep winning). We also have Frost having a career best season, who is of a similar age.

Lake came cheap, and was the most obvious missing piece traded in that I can ever remember. Such a seamless fit.
We are not reliant on other results going out way to make finals. We keep winning and we play finals. We drop 2 of the 5 then we'd be hoping on other results but win 4 or 5 and we play finals. Other sides around us have to lose because they are playing each other. There is no way they don't drop games.

Seen a few people suggesting Battle will stay, not sure where this idea is coming from as it doesn't seem like anything has changed since March when Ross Lyon pretty much stated on TV that he's going to Hawthorn.

Spoke to a mate from Stkilda and most of the talk amongst players there is that he's going to Hawks.

My preference is always for a free agent over a trade even if the player isn't as good. But age and injury considerations I think Battle offers us more than Barrass.

We've already signed the best free agent available this year (Hardwick) I want us going Hard for battle, Perryman and Nash.

I really want Nash to stay and would hope he repays the faith shown in him. Though as good as he's been and the unique strengths he has, I am still a bit nervous that his flaws that haven't improved are going to be an issue in a high pressure final. Most games we haven't needed him too, but there comes a time when every player is expected to take their chances of front of goal and he just doesn't look capable. His midfield work makes up for the flaw, I just get scared that we'll be found out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back