Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.
And Carlton's depth will take a sizable hit with Owies , Martin ,Marchbank and possibly Kemp and Kennedy departing.
Not to mention an aging list and giving up so many future draft picks.
They are delusional if they think they will improve in the next couple of years
They've got Haynes and DGB incoming.

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

The question is can they drag Hodgey away from the lifestyle he seems to be so much enjoying in Queensland.
We don’t need to, we just need to get him back into the fold in whatever way we can.

The question is can they drag Hodgey away from the lifestyle he seems to be so much enjoying in Queensland.
It makes sense to me, Hodgey's had his time off dabbling in the media scene. He could be the greatest coach of all time so he's got to get back involved at club level at some point. Cooper tells Hawthorn he's in and the club offer Hodgey a role much like they did with Luke McCabe the year before we drafted Will.

Exactly.
And Carlton's depth will take a sizable hit with Owies , Martin ,Marchbank and possibly Kemp and Kennedy departing.
Not to mention an aging list and giving up so many future draft picks.
They are delusional if they think they will improve in the next couple of years

And only bringing in Nick Haynes to cover for a lot of lost defensive depth, hardly inspires confidence.

5 years ago, Haynes was dominant - but his form over the last 12-24 months has been average at best, and woeful in patches. Little wonder GWS are happy to let him walk.

They look weaker in the first team and weaker in depth. Depth killed them last season - you'd think they'd stock up, but I feel its very on-brand Carlton to go all in on a potential saviour, than pragmatic selections.

He could be the greatest coach of all time

Could he? Has he even done his coaching credentials? I have always thought Sam was the more natural coaching transition of the two of them. I have no doubt Hodge would be one of the best motivators out there - but in terms of gameday nous and tactical stuff I think Sam's footy IQ has him beat - which isn't a knock on Hodge it's just how I highly I rate Sam. He was doing his coaching credentials while still playing and has worked towards getting to where he is now since we were winning flags. I just don't see Hodgey as a head coach.

They may not win a game, but damn as a list manager or new coach you have to love the ability to build from scratch. They are essentially like a start up team now like GWS and GC were.

I don't think Yze would be 'loving' it - no. He's odds on to be the next coach sacked - not something I would be relishing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like an arrogant prick, just like he came across as a player. Has got an easy job at Geedroit aswell, just offering out under the table deals. The land has to run out eventually.

Played as a soft as butter rebounder, who seemed more interested in having fluffy hair than he was in attacking a contest.

He's also responsible for dolling out advice to the arm flapping coach from Port, when he was having doubts about where to go (ironic now perhaps, given most Hawks supporters would offer that advice on the daily).

I reckon this embargo is the AFL's version of Rule 3 of Brockian Ultra-Cricket.
Funnily enough, I just listened to that very episode, and excerpt, in my car this morning.

I found it very amusing that they made the Krikkit killer robots South African...

Surely you know the answer to that question, Hodgey 15?! ;)

Edit: Sorry, looks like you've already been asked that. I should learn to catch up with threads before replying to posts... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The argument that I put forward, is that trying to trade for Reid just seems like a trade that would HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be good value, for any club - not just Hawthorn.

If I were in Weagles position, you can literally ask for the moon & the hype behind him will let you justify that position. If I were them, I would literally say "we only trade Harley for the No.1 Pick + a star player like Jai Newcombe". You might say that's insane, but that would be the level.

Look at the Judd trade: Pick 3, Pick 20 + Josh Kennedy for Judd + Pick 46. I wager Harley Reid would be traded for EVEN more than that.

Off that alone, my point is - you would NEVER get good value to trade for Harley. You would basically give up a star player, plus at least several high picks to get him. It would cost you everything to get someone who MIGHT hit a big peak. To me, that's an insane risk.

Only exception is if you managed to hard ball a club, like Geelong did with the Dangerfield trade. But Danger was an unrestricted free agent at that point, so he could have walked for nothing. Adelaide had zero leverage, except Danger asked the Cats to give them something basically.

TLDR: IMO the hype behind Reid means, as an investment, you would never have a payoff that exceeds his cost. Our recruitment and development is good enough, that we can find much better value than getting sucked in to trade for Harley.

This is all of course hypothetical - Harley might stay in WA and eventually buyout The West so they stop publishing backpage articles on him all the time.
After that Judd trade, I had a bet with a Carlton-supporting mate: I said WCE would win a flag before the Blues did. He's still waiting for that elusive flag...

You make a good point. I wouldn't wish to sell the farm for Harley - unless he really, really, really wants to come and play with Wiz, Ginni, CMac & Co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back