Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not convinced that Smith is coming to us. The drums have been beating that he will go to Geelong with the exception of our board naturally. But the alchemy of trades in AFL is a dark art indeed. I am certain that we have many irons in the fire. There is a fair bit of noise in the industry regarding us being strongly into Logan McDonald. Plenty of smoke and mirrors from now until the end of trade time.

Just for clarity, were you told they weren't coming to Hawthorn or they weren't leaving GWS? If the former, that sounds super sus coming from someone at AFL. Especially in the wake of the Cogs saga.

Shiel did leave and it seemed like he was always going, just a matter of where to. Having spoken to him, he definitely was considering Hawthorn.

No doubt your mate would get some good tidbits of info, but I can't see how he could say with any certainty what players are going to do at the start of a season? The players themselves rarely know that early.
I was told that he wasnt leaving GWS, I told him I had seen people talking about him being across the line and he said his understanding was he wasnt leaving (Cogs in this case, said similar about Whitfield)

Dont recall discussing Shiel

I am not convinced that Smith is coming to us. The drums have been beating that he will go to Geelong with the exception of our board naturally. But the alchemy of trades in AFL is a dark art indeed. I am certain that we have many irons in the fire. There is a fair bit of noise in the industry regarding us being strongly into Logan McDonald. Plenty of smoke and mirrors from now until the end of trade time.
If we are talking percentages its Smith lots of daylight then Logan McDonald.

I think Baz suits this team perfectly. Timeline, personality, play style, brings an extra tool to our midfield we don't have yet.

Can buy low because of form and injuries. It'd be 2 high firsts of he was playing and in form.

I know people like to downplay and keep wraps on things, but I'll be over the flipping moon if we can land him.

Good to hear about Baz. All the tea leaves seem to have been pointing towards Geelong recently.
And that's just it. Every time we've lost out recently with free agents the mail has been the total opposite in that they were coming to us or the chances looked good. Have to start wondering wether this is what Baz's camp want everyone to think, like in the past with the mail on other free agents that it was us. Maybe just maybe you win the race (LOL) by not actually being the ones leading it 😂

cF3s6q.gif

I think Baz suits this team perfectly. Timeline, personality, play style, brings an extra tool to our midfield we don't have yet.

Can buy low because of form and injuries. It'd be 2 high firsts of he was playing and in form.

I know people like to downplay and keep wraps on things, but I'll be over the flipping moon if we can land him.
Timeline, personality, play hair style, brings an extra tool to our midfield we don't have yet.

Battle is a good player but we don’t need him.

Blanck + McCabe in addition to a very good defensive unit right now.

Forwards are looking good w Chol, Dear, Lewis, and Scaife.

We need an elite midfielder.
That should be the top priority.

You always need to improve. Especially with Free Agents.

Blanck is a solid servant but Battle is proven and a better player. Plus he is a very handy forward which opens up more flexibility.

I'll be gutted if he decides to stay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost the Battle, but will we win the war?

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

And that's just it. Every time we've lost out recently with free agents the mail has been the total opposite in that they were coming to us or the chances looked good. Have to start wondering wether this is what Baz's camp want everyone to think, like in the past with the mail on other free agents that it was us. Maybe just maybe you win the race (LOL) by not actually being the ones leading it 😂

View attachment 2030020
The media don’t want us to know if the player has chosen or not, they want suspense and multiple clubs to choose from and then when the player chooses the horse that’s not leading we all click the links to find out why.

I’m at the point now where I don’t care if we miss out on Baz. I am more excited about having Ward developing along nicely. For the price we’d pay for Baz we could fill other pressing needs I think. Let’s find players we need who want to be part of this club and get them

Blanck is a solid servant but Battle is proven and a better player. Plus he is a very handy forward which opens up more flexibility.

Battle and Blanck are very different players. Battle wouldn't be taking his spot.

I’m at the point now where I don’t care if we miss out on Baz. I am more excited about having Ward developing along nicely. For the price we’d pay for Baz we could fill other pressing needs I think. Let’s find players we need who want to be part of this club and get them
I mentioned this on another thread, but I think we have a player already that can do everything Baz can do but better ( although mostly unproven at this stage) and that is Weddle. I hope Sam unleashes him to the midfield soon.

Battle plays a different role to Blanck, he's not a full back. Feel he's being oversold on his forward ability too. Best return is 12 goals and that was a season where he was playing a majority forward role.

He'd be competing more with Sic, Weddle, Scrim for that second or third tall role. Feels like we've already got better players there and decent enough depth and cover with Serong, DGB and now McCabe.

I'd really only be upset if you told me we had a player like Barrass or Taylor lined up and might end up missing out. A full back for the next half decade. Maybe a real gun triple threat midfielder like Macluggage or Warner.

I recall he was linked to us from the start of the year. We were commonly included in the “one of a number of other clubs interested” reporting. Then it died down late in the season and then next thing we knew he was wearing brown and gold.
That was a wonderful era. Hawthorn would pick some random player from premiership obscurity and gift them a premiership medallion, just because. Like wandering around looking for homeless people and giving them a $600 pair of shoes, just because we could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back