Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Daniel now saying Smith to Geelong is done.

Almost every journo now has parked this bus at Geelong.

I'd be staggered if he ends up at Hawthorn from here.

If we get Perryman and Battle via free agency…we will absolutely swing for the fences with a trade, can’t wait to see who the targets are.

I love it when you share info, unless it’s something I don’t want to hear😂

We want depth at this stage, but there will come a time in the near future for those trades.
I think depth is really hard to create these days give drafts are smaller, and there's 18 teams.

If a guy like Ward say, who's a high draft pick and has performed pretty well when exposed to AFL level, spends a lot of next season in the VFL he would be crazy to stick around. His career could absolutely tank compared to moving to any other club that would guarantee him seniors time.
We would obviously love to keep him - but if we brought in a best 22 midfielder (eg Smith).
This is a little different to DGB who hasn't had any continuity of fitness or senior form, or Hustwaite who is developing steadily - Ward is exactly the kind of depth we want, but staying at Hawthorn in the event of us recruiting an A grader would be the absolute worst thing for him.

Mate, are you just running with what another poster said he said in a podcast?
Even a Geelong poster said that Daniel didn’t sound that convincing.

He might end up at Geelong, but if Ryan Daniel thought it was “done” he’d tweet that out.

I have been told by a close friend who is an assistant coach at one of the other clubs that it will be one or the other for Battle or Perryman - likely not both.
An assistant coach from an opposition side is unlikely to really know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, are you just running with what another poster said he said in a podcast?
Even a Geelong poster said that Daniel didn’t sound that convincing.

He might end up at Geelong, but if Ryan Daniel thought it was “done” he’d tweet that out.
What I'm saying is that almost every journo, who's commenting on this trade, is now saying Geelong.

If he calls Hawthorn, it'd be staggering how many of them would have this wrong.

i really doubt anything is done yet. He would have a shortlist - sounds like us and geelong - but if i was advising baz would recommend waiting to see how both teams finished the year.

e.g. is this a false dawn for us, do geelong bomb from here or regroup to reassure the cliff isn’t coming. Also finishing spots translates to draft picks and ability to get a deal done.

i think the mail from journos is hearing about ongoing discussions between baz’s management and both parties.

decision will be made sept / oct so just need to buckle up for the ebbs and flows of mail.

What I'm saying is that almost every journo, who's commenting on this trade, is now saying Geelong.

If he calls Hawthorn, it'd be staggering how many of them would have this wrong.
Every journo has been suggesting Geelong for 12 months though, most likely because it’s easy to do when everyone else is doing it and you only have a quick minute to summarize where he might be headed.

When given more time to actually speak about it, the majority of them are also saying that they don’t know, that it’s out of Geelong and Hawthorn and it’s 50/50.

Geelong makes a lot of sense for Smith if he wants midfield time with how poor they are looking going forward, but we just don’t know whether the Cats overtures have hit the mark or not.

How many of Ginnivan, Chol, Gunston, and D'Ambrosio were done deals at this stage last season?

The biggest selling point we have now is that we are a young team that is clearly on the rise, playing an attractive brand of football, and our team chemistry looks superb.

I thoroughly respect loyalty in football, but if a player is wanting to leave their current club it would be hard to pass up an opportunity to play for Hawthorn.

Baz will wait until the results of Saturday's game before choosing his suitor.
The result will likely have as much relevance to his decision as what I have for breakfast that day.

Every journo has been suggesting Geelong for 12 months though, most likely because it’s easy to do when everyone else is doing it and you only have a quick minute to summarize where he might be headed.

When given more time to actually speak about it, the majority of them are also saying that they don’t know, that it’s out of Geelong and Hawthorn and it’s 50/50.

Geelong makes a lot of sense for Smith if he wants midfield time with how poor they are looking going forward, but we just don’t know whether the Cats overtures have hit the mark or not.
You have to remember that the media is a boys club, where no one is willing to put their neck out and go against the grain. If they all say the same thing or something similar, if it doesn't eventuate, then they don't get singled out. A lot of what is written is simply rehashed from one source.

Yesterday Gabelich wrote that Sicily would be a test for this weekend, after writing his article for AFL.com.au
Literally 20 minutes after it was released, Seven had a piece about it, Herald Sun, Fox Sports etc. All rehashed from the one source.

Is there interest in Tom Barrass from the Hawks or is he a little bit past the age profile you’d be looking at? Saw a smattering of posts on your board last week and obviously him and Gov are the only things that prevented a repeat of the 100 point Tassie debacle. Mitchell is thought of very highly on our board and was a key to our 2018 flag as much as the four he played in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back