Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

What to do with Tas games?

• MCG

Votes: 193 83.5%
  • Darwin

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Albury

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Auckland

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Canberra

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Marvel

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Elsewhere

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Cairns

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What it didn’t like is missing out on the first round draft pick. As I reported at the time it came to this conclusion over a weekend and was not professional about it. Fortunately the HFC is far better at it now, much more strategic and has a plan.

I have no doubt your intel is correct but do you think a 7/2/2 (plus Gather Round) is in the long term interest of the Hawthorn Football Club? In effect it would make us the Wests Tigers of the AFL.

That said, I have no problem with playing a game in Cairns (especially around the bye round) as Hawthorn support (and AFL more generally) in FNQ is substantial.

But to keep a presence in Tassie, growing a new base in Queensland and expanding from the eastern suburbs into the south/east suburbs stretches limited resources widely.

Surely we ditch Launceston for Cairns and try and sell a 7 (or 8) MCG home package with 1 or 2 Marvel games (with reserve seating) and 2 games in Cairns?

But back on topic, how lucrative is the Northern Queensland market for talent?

Last edited:
I don’t care for Docklands games. If the Tassie games will only go there or interstate or regional, I’m happy for the club to take the better financial benefit, provided it also allows development of some home ground advantage like Tassie. What I really want is to be copping less Docklands games from even our current allocation. We should play no home games there.

Learn how to read and pull your head in you absolute little pissant. Tops has far more respect and runs on the board than you’ll ever have on here.

The press has already reported this year that powerbrokers in Cairns are trying to make this happen. Our AFLW side has also just announced a 3 year partnership to do pre-season camps and a home game up there. But, yes, Tops is just clearly making all this up.

xcfllxE.jpg

Settle down tough guy. It's an internet forum, not an echo chamber.

You really, really will blow an aneurysm at this rate.

PS: It should be 'little pissant' or 'absolute pissant' - 'absolute little pissant' dilutes the message somewhat.

But good effort, especially when frothing with rage.

I have no doubt your intel is correct but do you think a 7/2/2 (plus Gather Round) is in the long term interest of the Hawthorn Football Club? In effect it would make us the Wests Tigers of the AFL.

That said, I have no problem with playing a game in Cairns (especially around the bye round) as Hawthorn support (and AFL more generally) in FNQ is substantial.

But to keep a presence in Tassie, growing a new base in Queensland and expanding from the eastern suburbs into the south/east suburbs stretches limited resources widely.

Surely we ditch Launceston for Cairns and try and sell a 7 (or 8) MCG home package with 1 or 2 Marvel games (with reserve seating) and 2 games in Cairns?

I did not say I agree with the proposition and for what it matters, I have made my thoughts known. There are a number of “connotations”.

I think people in Melbourne forget that we also have 5-6 extra away games here as well.

Hopefully for your sake the mods will delete this as it doesn’t belong here.

The Queensland government and the AFL are pushing hard to get someone to play at least 2 games a year in Cairns and Hawthorn is at the top of the list and it is most likely happening once the Tassie deal finishes. I dare say as a part of the deal we would be pushing to have access to all North Queensland talent.

Would it be through the NGA program?

Which in its current state would be pointless as any top talents would be bid on prior to pick 40.

I don’t care for Docklands games. If the Tassie games will only go there or interstate or regional, I’m happy for the club to take the better financial benefit, provided it also allows development of some home ground advantage like Tassie. What I really want is to be copping less Docklands games from even our current allocation. We should play no home games there.

Docklands OK but the congestion in the train loop especially when two eastern suburbs teams play each other is not ideal. That puts me off more than the place, and hawks have had some memorable games there

I want the club to continue to be financially strong, so if we have to get into bed with the QLD government and play a couple of games up there(community camps and preseason game on top of that), so be it.

I’m already contemplating taking my kids up for a game if Cairns eventuates, spending a couple of nights in Port Douglas and out to see the Great Barrier Reef.

If we can grab ourselves a Charlie Dixon or Che Cockatoo Collins from the area, then that’s a bonus too.

I did not say I agree with the proposition and for what it matters, I have made my thoughts known. There are a number of “connotations”.
I suspect many of us agree, it drives me mad that as the fifth Beatle (as Eddie McGuire has called us) we are frozen out of the Big 4 cartel.

The fifth biggest Victorian club should not be selling the most games out of its primary market but I understand that there are other things at play.

I wonder what sort of talent is in the zone, it was ridiculous how the AFL gave Tassie to North

First thought re Cairns is extreme disappointment. The club is called Hawthorn which is a suburb in Melbourne and they should play as many games in that city as possible imo.
They've really been slack with trying to get more games at the G over the past 5 years and now we're at the back of the line, I know we've had a bit of shit on off the field but this really should have been a big priority I think. I could accept one game up there but a game against a home state team is just crazy stuff lol, what are they thinking?

Every time I see them I just shake my head. The following figures doesn’t show the tax we pay but I think are net of tax.

These are the distributions since we have been on the downward spiral playing mostly on Sunday afternoon

View attachment 2016539View attachment 2016540View attachment 2016541View attachment 2016542View attachment 2016543View attachment 2016544

Extract from this old article reads

Clubs have been briefed by the league on an arrangement that will see Hawthorn’s financial figures used as the minimum amount distributed to clubs.

Clubs will no longer hand back money if successful, but Hawthorn, boasting $41.6m in assets and a $2.57m profit this year, will still be penalised.

The league will deduct the current equalisation payment from the annual distribution figure of the richest club, known to be Hawthorn.

It is just so hard to keep up with the AFL equalisation measures because they make it so difficult for most to try and understand so they can keep the facade going

So many asking the question,” why don’t we play all games in Melb” have a right to. Enough with the subsiding.
I think it goes further back than that as well. Us and West Coast been bent over for years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want the club to continue to be financially strong, so if we have to get into bed with the QLD government and play a couple of games up there(community camps and preseason game on top of that), so be it.

I’m already contemplating taking my kids up for a game if Cairns eventuates, spending a couple of nights in Port Douglas and out to see the Great Barrier Reef.

If we can grab ourselves a Charlie Dixon or Che Cockatoo Collins from the area, then that’s a bonus too.
Excuse for a winter trip up north is appealing. I’d rather not waste a home game against one of the QLD sides where they’d be advantaged though. Prefer to take another low drawing side like GWS, Freo or North there

Excuse for a winter trip up north is appealing. I’d rather not waste a home game against one of the QLD sides where they’d be advantaged though. Prefer to take another low drawing side like GWS, Freo or North there
Our MCG average against the Lions, for what it's worth, is just under 37,000 (going back to 20 years). These are not low drawing fixtures we are talking about.

Even Fremantle, today, is low 30,000’s. The dead rubber last year drew 28,000 (Hawthorn’s floor)
B04BF601-1899-4A36-A334-93716020FD5F.jpeg

Today would have drawn at least 5,000 more given the uptake in form

Last edited:
View attachment 2046704

Settle down tough guy. It's an internet forum, not an echo chamber.

You really, really will blow an aneurysm at this rate.

PS: It should be 'little pissant' or 'absolute pissant' - 'absolute little pissant' dilutes the message somewhat.

But good effort, especially when frothing with rage.

Settle down tough guy - interesting words from the person with the hyperbolic claims that anyone at the Hawks considering a Cairns option ‘should be shot’.

Way to play the man than address the facts too - I’ll take the ad hominem attack as a concession that it was you, and not Tops, who was talking out of their arse.

Our MCG average against the Lions, for what it's worth, is just under 37,000 (going back to 20 years).!These are not low drawing fixtures we are talking about.

Even Fremantle, today, is low 30,000’s. The dead rubber last year drew 28,000 (Hawthorn’s floor)
View attachment 2046848

Today would have drawn at least 5,000 more given the uptake in form
Point is we won’t get MCG for some of them. So it’s draw low at Docklands or elsewhere

Point is we won’t get MCG for some of them. So it’s draw low at Docklands or elsewhere
Our Docklands drawing power isn't too bad - 30,000 plus games against North and the Lions game. Which the AFL and club massively under estimated.

Why did the AFL close half the stadium (forcing supporters to stand in aisles) when minnows like the Saints and Dogs open the top deck for sub 20,000 attendances?

Nothing stopping booking a holiday wherever you want. Where’s good in September?

September is a great time to head up north. I did Port Douglas in early October a few years back and it’s a perfect time of year to go. Humidity hasn’t cranked to crazy levels, it’s not stinger season and it doesn’t rain that much. Highly recommend it.

Biggest thing with any agreement, and I’m sure it would be a known factor, is the guaranteed change in government that’s coming up. Whoever is dealing with the current regime I hope is also in the shadow minister’s ear.

Biggest thing with any agreement, and I’m sure it would be a known factor, is the guaranteed change in government that’s coming up. Whoever is dealing with the current regime I hope is also in the shadow minister’s ear.
The state LNP is far more regional focused compared to the incumbent, should work in the AFL’s favour especially if it drums up local retail (the National Retail Association is side by side with the Qld LNP - even share employees)

Yeah great, just hand the 4 points to the acclimatised QLD side we play against at our home game. This would be so idiotic from a football perspective. Imagine missing out on the 8 or top 4 by 4 points given away up there. Gee I hope this really doesn't happen regardless of the financial windfall that it may bring.

When was the last time a hawks team played well in queensland? Seems like a crazy idea. Also there’s three kids and a dog at the vfl game. Cant see the economics either

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture Hawks after Tasmania? Sponsorship extended to 2025!

Back