Autopsy Round 20, 2024 : Hawks murder Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we rest a few late? I feel Meek was off a long time and Weddle and Chol did lots more rucking than usual. Nash too seemed to play less minutes and hence less ruck.

Day too.

Hopefully no issues just making sure everyone is cherry ripe for next week and no risks. Especially with Meek as Reeves didn't play at Box Hill today (anyone know why? Just listed as injured)
Rested a few same as last week. Scoreline allowed us too do this

Not for the first time this year, we went full experimentation in the last quarter
Sicily forward, Chol in the ruck, Ward getting more midfield minutes, there were a few other things.

Must be really embarrassing for the opposition coach when the hawks start using you for scenario training in a live match

Loved Gerold Healy trying to get an inquiry into how the Hawks small forwards get soooo many frees. He's hated us for soooo long now 🤣 & here we come again

It's the AFL equivalent of victim blaming. Here's an idea - if a bloke is 170cm tall and a lot of defenders are substantially taller maybe they need to learn how to tackle him without slapping him across the face.

Not for the first time this year, we went full experimentation in the last quarter
Sicily forward, Chol in the ruck, Ward getting more midfield minutes, there were a few other things.

Must be really embarrassing for the opposition coach when the hawks start using you for scenario training in a live match

Reminds me of the threepeat era when we would have matches sewn up early and you'd see us just trying shit out in the 4th quarter.

Loved Gerold Healy trying to get an inquiry into how the Hawks small forwards get soooo many frees. He's hated us for soooo long now 🤣 & here we come again

What really amazes me about this line of Hawk-envy by Healy and so much of the press with the constant “playing for a free” refrain, is that they are discouraging good, old-fashioned, fearless head-over-the-ball footy. Our smalls are getting to the ball first by barreling in head first without visible fear for the coming hit. Isn’t that the courage needed to play championship footy?

They aren’t “playing for a free” an anyway antithetical to how the game is supposed to be played. They are going in hard and head first, as a champion should. If you want to beat them, then you need to go in harder and faster to get that first touch on the lose ball.

It’s a very short-sighted and petty view of the game they have.

Who remembers when Clarko pigeonholed him as a defensive forward….

Was almost the tipping point in the coaching handover plan being bought forward.

Mitchell playing Nash as a mid at BH… and livid Clarko refused to train him with the mids.
Saved his career he was about to get sent back to Ireland was another masterstroke by Sam Mitchell.

He got that info off Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data this week on his show. You could see him jotting it down on air.
Then he just threw it out there during the broadcast with a bit of spin - said something like we had 23 frees which was almost double the next team who had 16 frees. :drunk:
Great maths there Healy.

Haven't been able to get on BF until now, so I'm sure it's all been said to this point... but what a game from the boys! Croc keeps getting better, as does Watson. The forward half pressure overwhelmed the Crows defence repeatedly. And when it doesn't, the back 6 rebound quickly and with precision.

Such a pleasure to watch!

Love this club

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

He got that info off Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data this week on his show. You could see him jotting it down on air.
Then he just threw it out there during the broadcast with a bit of spin - said something like we had 23 frees which was almost double the next team who had 16 frees. :drunk:
Great maths there Healy.
Speaking of maths - if the average small froward gets x number of frees. And hawks have more small forwards than most (ginni, watson, Breust, Cmac, moore), then we would get more frees to small forwards, right?

I mean, no other team is running with 4/5 small forwards, so it's really not a surprising statistic unless you're a ****ing moron

What really amazes me about this line of Hawk-envy by Healy and so much of the press with the constant “playing for a free” refrain, is that they are discouraging good, old-fashioned, fearless head-over-the-ball footy. Our smalls are getting to the ball first by barreling in head first without visible fear for the coming hit. Isn’t that the courage needed to play championship footy?

They aren’t “playing for a free” an anyway antithetical to how the game is supposed to be played. They are going in hard and head first, as a champion should. If you want to beat them, then you need to go in harder and faster to get that first touch on the lose ball.

It’s a very short-sighted and petty view of the game they have.
It's easy to see what our smalls are doing, go in low, see or know contact is coming and then remain low or go lower to draw the free. Technically I can see why people don't like it and it shouldn't be rewarded but it's not breaking the rules and it gains an advantage when it works. It forces the tackler to change their technique, which in a split second decision, most can't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great maths there Healy.
His tears would be like the Dead Sea Salt

It's easy to see what our smalls are doing, go in low, see or know contact is coming and then remain low or go lower to draw the free. Technically I can see why people don't like it and it shouldn't be rewarded but it's not breaking the rules and it gains an advantage when it works. It forces the tackler to change their technique, which in a split second decision, most can't do.
I still don't understand why there's any debate over this. The onus should be 100% on the tackler to tackle the man playing the ball correctly, regardless of how he manoeuvres to dodge their tackle.

Most of it is just lazy tackling. 90% of them the tackler is totally upright. I do believe if the tackler makes a genuine attempt to get low in the tackle it should be called play on but that’s just me.

It's the AFL equivalent of victim blaming. Here's an idea - if a bloke is 170cm tall and a lot of defenders are substantially taller maybe they need to learn how to tackle him without slapping him across the face.
our frees forward are a combination of catching oppos HTB and getting impeded via high, holding or ITB when we get to the ball first.

The commentators haven't worked out it is because we are ferocious in our attack on player and ball. Get more frees when you play that way. As far as high tackles go, absolutely agree Ned. Defenders need to be better and have better techniques when tackling small players. If the free is there, you have to pay no matter what.

I still don't understand why there's any debate over this. The onus should be 100% on the tackler to tackle the man playing the ball correctly, regardless of how he manoeuvres to dodge their tackle.
Cause it looks shit if you're an oppo supporter.
Lot's of players do it, Papley, Charlie etc. but we have 4 that can do it so free kick Hawthorn 🤣 It is definitely up to the tackler to adjust which most aren't or can't do.

Cause it looks shit if you're an oppo supporter.
Lot's of players do it, Papley, Charlie etc. but we have 4 that can do it so free kick Hawthorn 🤣 It is definitely up to the tackler to adjust which most aren't or can't do.
The oppo supporters who whine about it don't seem to understand that you can't pick up a ground ball at speed and stand upright immediately, so they think our players are playing for frees or are "driving head first".

What does Healy want? We're comfortably the best team in the league across this season for Ground Ball Gets, equal first for Hard Ball Gets. We've got 3 forwards in the top 20 for Ground Ball Gets, they're going lower and harder at the ball which pretty much always guarantees free kicks.

Brilliant weekend/afternoon/evening at the footy.

Went to the open training Saturday afternoon and the kids managed to get all the autographs/photos they wanted. Sam was great, chatting with us while the boys were having shots at goal. Proceeded to nail 3 from 3- a backheel, dribble then a no hand pick up and hack out of mid air. Yeah he still has it.

Game Day- Thought we were outplayed in the first quarter but got busy after that and was really happy to see us put the pedal down in the last quarter.

Day, Impey, Scrimshaw all excellent. Extremely even performance across the board.

The best part of the team currently is when its their time to go- they go, no questions asked/no exceptions. The Wiz flying against ROB emphasized this best.

Keep up the run boys, my daughter is now fully engrossed having never been a big footy head before....and I'm reaping the benefits!

Oh and this is satisfaction in a snap:

Hawks.jpg

Conor Nash rarely gets pinged for high tackles even though he is a massive beast - simply because his rugby background has him going in low, generally just around the waist. Bruesty too.

I know there's concern about leaving the arms free to handball away, but while you're being collected by a Nash Smash you're only thinking about your own mortality and poor choices in life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024 : Hawks murder Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back