Autopsy Round 20, 2024 : Hawks murder Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Another emerging trend in the media commentary about this game is that Adelaide made a fatal error by playing four talls. I disagree.

You win or lose this game of ours in the midfield. If your mids are on top, your selections at the ends of the ground look genius, no matter what they are (well, almost always - you may have a McKay on your list). In the first quarter we were really pressed. Adelaide’s talls looked like they were going to teach us a lesson. We adjusted in the midfield, we out-worked the Crows a bit, and suddenly the talls looked like the biggest bad call in a long time.

Midfield, midfield, midfield. It has always been the key to success in footy and it always will be.

Fantastic win.

Great team effort.
And (everyone sitting down?) I thought CJ finally got the mix of defence and attack spot on.
Best game I've seen tbh with some nice last line tackles.

If he can keep that mix together, he will be a very potent asset.

Well played Hawthorn, and CJ.

Further to my post above, it’s important to note that a key adjustment we made was loading up our midfield play with some great high-half-forward participation in the middle - most notably on Sunday by Connor MacDonald. If you overload with tall forwards then that adjustment is not available to you. But if you can win the midfield with your starters then you’ll clean up in the air.

I guess Adelaide really didn’t have much choice but to hope their mids could hold out and then the talls would do their thing. It worked for a quarter. Too bad a match has four of those.

Sinc he’s been spouting on radio with that nasal entitled voice, fossils like Sam Newman have come and gone. How does he keep in a job?
Hmmm Gerold does have a very prominent bald spot on the top of his head so going by that I assume that he does a lot of under the desk work for his masters

Gerard Healy absolutely loathes the fact we are coming hard for another round of premierships.

He deliberatly tried to get the 15 metre rule changed to 20m 10 years ago when we were flying because we were the best kickign team.

Earlier this year wheneever he spoke of players pushing in the back, the first words he would utter were James Sicily.
Now he has started on the free kicks our small forward get legitimately. As it has been pointed out, we are the best team for ground ball wins all season by a mile so if you are down low to pick up the ball, chances increases that you are going to get hit high.

Gerard Healy GO **** YOURSELF

It's the AFL equivalent of victim blaming. Here's an idea - if a bloke is 170cm tall and a lot of defenders are substantially taller maybe they need to learn how to tackle him without slapping him across the face.
Bigger query should be how he tackled a 192cm opponent high when the opponent was upright

Speaking of maths - if the average small froward gets x number of frees. And hawks have more small forwards than most (ginni, watson, Breust, Cmac, moore), then we would get more frees to small forwards, right?

I mean, no other team is running with 4/5 small forwards, so it's really not a surprising statistic unless you're a ****ing moron
The thing is, Daniel Hoyne said it was how they were being coached more than anything and not that the players were out there trying to suck umpires in to giving frees.
Yet Healy seemed to be alluding to the latter.

Gerard Healy absolutely loathes the fact we are coming hard for another round of premierships.

He deliberatly tried to get the 15 metre rule changed to 20m 10 years ago when we were flying because we were the best kickign team.

Earlier this year wheneever he spoke of players pushing in the back, the first words he would utter were James Sicily.
Now he has started on the free kicks our small forward get legitimately. As it has been pointed out, we are the best team for ground ball wins all season by a mile so if you are down low to pick up the ball, chances increases that you are going to get hit high.

Gerard Healy GO **** YOURSELF

"... another round of premierships".

How many other teams' supporters could casually drop a remark like that? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than anything I think I am super chuffed for Sam

He had a decent amount of heat on him, not only early this season but also taking over from Clarko, as well as the hoodoo that seems to follow champion players returning to coach their clubs (Think Bucks, Vossy and our good mate Hirdy)

One of my best mates works at the club and she only has amazing things to say about Sam; about the way he has galvanized the entire club together to simply enjoy football together. He's letting individuals be the best version of themselves which spreads an even more relaxed and fun atmosphere amongst the group

I'm not watching alot of football these days, but I can't wait to see where this group can go

More than anything I think I am super chuffed for Sam

He had a decent amount of heat on him, not only early this season but also taking over from Clarko, as well as the hoodoo that seems to follow champion players returning to coach their clubs (Think Bucks, Vossy and our good mate Hirdy)

One of my best mates works at the club and she only has amazing things to say about Sam; about the way he has galvanized the entire club together to simply enjoy football together. He's letting individuals be the best version of themselves which spreads an even more relaxed and fun atmosphere amongst the group

I'm not watching alot of football these days, but I can't wait to see where this group can go
There’s an ex AFLw player who was on Triple M last week saying this exact thing. her name escapes me.

Said the feeling that everyone is valued and encouraged to be a part of it all was something that she’d only seen from one other senior coach(who also happens to be with us - Brett Ratten) when she was at the Saints.

We must have hit the post four times.
yes but the bloke who declared he was putting the 24 sausage rolls in the oven before the game for each goal the Hawks kicked was probably barely coping and just saying.............. enough........., already. :p Poor bloke has probably taken a sickie today

yes but the bloke who declared he was putting the 24 sausage rolls in the oven before the game for each goal the Hawks kicked was probably barely coping and just saying.............. enough........., already. :p Poor bloke has probably taken a sickie today

I was cruising in the first half but the second half was quite tough.

I can't look a sausage roll in the face today

A strong diaretic then an enema is what the doctor ordered

We have elevated ourselves above the teams on the lower half of the ladder.
A good achievement and a big step forward.
Now we have to see if we can match it with the better teams.
GWS (away)and Carlton will be a great test of how good we really are.
Win one and we should be finals bound.
Win 2 and look out.
Lose both and despite a great run we may miss finals.

Whatever happens its been a ride.
Yes, a great and very unexpected ride. At least our destiny is in our own hands.
I was cruising in the first half but the second half was quite tough.

I can't look a sausage roll in the face today
Speaking of destiny in your own hands - how many did you manage?

There’s an ex AFLw player who was on Triple M last week saying this exact thing. her name escapes me.

Said the feeling that everyone is valued and encouraged to be a part of it all was something that she’d only seen from one other senior coach(who also happens to be with us - Brett Ratten) when she was at the Saints.
Kate McCarthy? Played for Saints and Hawks.

Have been lucky enough to be at the past two games and seen two fantastic wins. Both games, my gut feel without looking at the stats, I've had Day as BOG. Everything he touches turns to gold. No disrespect to Cmac, but Day's presence is just so noticable.

I've also watched Watson closely when the ball is in our fwd 50. The bloke is a genuine maniac. Just goes at 110%.

Another emerging trend in the media commentary about this game is that Adelaide made a fatal error by playing four talls. I disagree.

You win or lose this game of ours in the midfield. If your mids are on top, your selections at the ends of the ground look genius, no matter what they are (well, almost always - you may have a McKay on your list). In the first quarter we were really pressed. Adelaide’s talls looked like they were going to teach us a lesson. We adjusted in the midfield, we out-worked the Crows a bit, and suddenly the talls looked like the biggest bad call in a long time.

Midfield, midfield, midfield. It has always been the key to success in footy and it always will be.
The 2013 GF side says 'hi'.

But mostly agree.

Awesome win. We just need to keep riding this roll we've got going right into the top 4!

Big couple of weeks now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024 : Hawks murder Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back