Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think his best shot at making a career in the AFL will be to get traded to the Eagles as part of the Barrass deal.

I just can't see a spot for him in the Hawks given we will be getting Battle and Barrass. He will be so far down the pecking order for a spot in the backline when that happens.
He couldn't get much of a lookin this year in the backline, so next year would be even more difficult to get a game there. It shouldn't be overlooked that he came to us as a forward. He's a great mark and a good kick. If we keep him (and he may well end up back in WA), he should be tried up forward. With his great play at Box Hill this year and increased confidence after winning the Box Hill B&F he might just make it as a forward. At the moment he's a long way ahead of DGB.

It’s Tom Barrass’ birthday…might be a nice present by West Coast to do it today

Geez I really hope DGB never reads this article about himself cause that would be pretty :poo: reading for the kid. He very well night not end up being the star that some thought he'd end up being however this doesn't mean that he wont make it at AFL level.

Having said all this I think most will agree that his best chance might actually to be delisted and given a lifeline by a team like WC or North that need a backman. It's also important to remember that his 2024 season never really took off after dealing with turf toe and for someone that really needed to work on his tank not having a preseason to do so was never going to allow him to build one. A good example of someone that didn't look to flash that was dealing with turf toe was Scrimmers which took him some time to work through it.

Wether it be on our list or somewhere else I hope he does well.

Richmond are going to field sides next year that would have likely got beat by the early GWS and GC sides. It is going to get ugly.
This is true but it also means they will then get best of the picks right after Tassy. Make no mistake they're going to really stink it up over the next couple of years but that just means they won't need to be trying to tank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh nooo, we have to keep Mitch Lewis. What a shame.

If they could hurry up and get this Barrass deal done so I can stop checking every 7 minutes that would be great.

Let’s get a 3-way going and include Richmond.

Hawks in: Barrass, pick 42
Hawks out: Pick 14

Eagles in: Baker, pick 32
Eagles out: Barrass

Richmond out: Baker, picks 32 and 42
Richmond in: Pick 14

Since anyone other than the West Australian’s and bombers fans got involved it’s been pretty clear it’s only one first round pick on offer for Barrass. Maybe we’d prefer to send out F1 and that’s the argument.

They obviously need pick 14 for the Baker deal. Just need to listen to Matthew Clarkes interview yesterday where they asked if they needed to get the Barras deal done first and he replied with that not necessarily as they could split pick 3 then yeah sure mate that would be career suicide OR they could use future picks which once again as a team that is only at the start of it's rebuild go a head and put the noose around your neck buddy.

We know WC need pick 14 and they know that we know they need pick 14. I guess what needs to be worked out is what else needs to be added as a sweetener. The thing is we're not under any time constraints to get any of this done whereas they are.

It’s day 1 and all huff and puff.

Although people thought this would get done early it was never going to happen.

Yes the centre piece of the deal might be done but the second part was always going to require some negotiation.

Hawks have done the chasing here and Eagles have to be seen by everyone to be driving a tough negotiation.

If we had a key player contracted for another 3 years and he wanted to be traded we would be doing the exact same thing here.
The big thing here is it’s the eagles that are tipping him out not us going to chase him that’s causing the move. He was initially talking to the dogs before we swooped.

The eagles could have kept him had the chosen to pay him a little more. It’s not like they wouldn’t have the cap space.

Eagles don’t see him as a key player as they are happy not to try and keep him.

They obviously need pick 14 for the Baker deal. Just need to listen to Matthew Clarkes interview yesterday where they asked if they needed to get the Barras deal done first and he replied with that not necessarily as they could split pick 3 then yeah sure mate that would be career suicide OR they could use future picks which once again as a team that is only at the start of it's rebuild go a head and put the noose around your neck buddy.

We know WC need pick 14 and they know that we know they need pick 14. I guess what needs to be worked out is what else needs to be added as a sweetener. The thing is we're not under any time constraints to get any of this done whereas they are.
Ok, I missed that interview.

I just wish they would damn well get it done, so we can move on and see what else we can wangle.

Or are we going to be happy with the two Bs?

I just wish they would damn well get it done, so we can move on and see what else we can wangle.

We won't be just sitting around waiting to get this done, we will have a rough outline of what the trade will look like already.

The Barrass deal being finalised will not influence our ability to still work through other possibilities, especially as i think any other moves we make would be more moves around the edges and nothing too hard to deal with.

Happens all the time.

Wingard got recontracted in September last year (https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/1425841/wingard-commits-for-2024) and then was delisted in October. The intention was to re-rookie but we ended up taking him back on the senior list via the Pre-Season Draft due to other club interest.

I'm expecting one or both of Gunston/Bruest or even BMac or Butler to be demoted to the rookie list despite contracts for next year.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware that was an option if a player already had a contract on the main list.

Cheers

Here it is. 35 seconds in and he goes straight into bluff mode. The part that made me laugh is when they ask if Barrass is worth 2 x 1st rounders and then MC says 'do you think he is worth 2 x 1st rounders'.

What I got from this interview is that no he doesn't think he's worth that and is likely angling for pick 14 + F2 and this is where the negotiations are atm with the ball in our court. IMO it's quite clear that the 2 x 1st rounders noise pre trade period is the negotiation tactic being used to get what they've wanted all along which is a 1st rounder + 2nd rounder (ie pick 14 + F2). I'm really hoping that we put another offer of pick 14 + F3 and make it clear that is our final one.

I don't think I've ever seem such varying worth of a player that we've been in the market for.

Here it is. 35 seconds in and he goes straight into bluff mode. The part that made me laugh is when they ask if Barrass is worth 2 x 1st rounders and then MC says 'do you think he is worth 2 x 1st rounders'.

What I got from this interview is that no he doesn't think he's worth that and is likely angling for pick 14 + F2 and this is where the negotiations are atm with the ball in our court. IMO it's quite clear that the 2 x 1st rounders noise pre trade period is the negotiation tactic being used to get what they've wanted all along which is a 1st rounder + 2nd rounder (ie pick 14 + F2). I'm really hoping that we put another offer of pick 14 + F3 and make it clear that is our final one.

I don't think I've ever seem such varying worth of a player that we've been in the market for.

I think he's a straight up 14 and thats it. If they want 14 plus something. Then its a 14 + F2 and then their F2 coming back.
So what if he's contracted for 3years. They didn't top up his contract and understand his worth in the market. Now they're finding out. Barrass management will press on WC to get the deal done and move on...as I'm sure they manage other players at the eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back