Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To my knowledge hawks haven’t been mentioned in any of the pick swap discussions.

Assuming that this years first is reserved for Barrass and potentially next years second as well- are we looking to get more picks in this years draft eg using next years first, or we are more likely to use it for a trade next year?

To my knowledge hawks haven’t been mentioned in any of the pick swap discussions.

Assuming that this years first is reserved for Barrass and potentially next years second as well- are we looking to get more picks in this years draft eg using next years first, or we are more likely to use it for a trade next year?
i think next year is when we are able to be really flexible trading pickes two years in advance and pick purchasing

We're not mature enough.

I love the NFL approach to trading where a top 10 pick if offloaded for a 7th rounder after 12 months. Love it
A big no thanks.

I'd rather we not Americanise our sport further and treat players like cattle. I also think it would fly in the face of Hawthorn being a "family club" if one minute we welcome a player in, the next we are booting them off to whatever team we feel like against their will.

Footy careers can be brutal, but this just feels like cold and heartless corporate American shit which I want no part of.

you'd think we're a chance to look at getting back into this year's first round if a pick becomes available and we have a player of interest in that range. might be a draft night thing though

Volkano suggesting we may try and take smith in the draft if he gets there. Mountain of salt to be taken, but I love this kind of gossip
We 100% would too.

Other clubs wouldn't as they haven't spoken to Smith at all, but we have.

Why though? What makes it better or more 'mature'?

Australia is very different to America and Europe.

You are combining lower wages by comparison (at the elite level) and a land mass far more spread out.

It isn't necessarily reasonable IMO to force a 22 year old to move from Sydney to Perth (as an example) with no say in the matter, especially if the player is contracted.
And unlike in those countries and continents, a players wage doesn't automatically cover his partner or his family. I'm sure there are some WAGS happy to give up their own careers if their partner is on $1m plus. Not so much if it's a player on less than half of that.

I'm of the view that if a player is sighting homesickness as a reason for a trade request then they shouldn't be able to nominate a specific club.
If that's your reason then the club you land at shouldn't matter. This would help the club trading the player get the best possible.
Dan Houston would be in North colours next season and Port would be receiving a far better return.

We coddle kids. We burp them. We wipe their noses. We pat their bums and tell them how they're the best. We do this all throughout their career.

We are not mature because we treat AFL players like children until they're spat out into society to grow up

It’s advertising revenue week, with a 3 hour trade window Wednesday afternoon.
It's actually brilliant marketing. To get so much media coverage and advertising $$$$ out of not much at all.

Say what you want about the AFL but they do know how to make mucho dinero whenever the opportunity presents itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We 100% would too.

We spoke to him & suspiciously withdrew from recruiting him :shrug:

Fair chance whatever spooked us then is still there (or worse).

Not sure we will see it in our lifetime but cant wait for the days when players have no say over movement

Go where they are told similar to many other sports

Probably need base salaries closer to 500k though for the AFLPA to agree to this change

The minute that gets done is the minute the draft/trade system gets challenged in the courts. And I would be very much on the players' sides over that. This isn't the ****ing military - players are free to work where they choose.

More likely we moved our focus to prioritise Barrass with our limited trade assets.
More likely we did some due diligence and decided that he wasn’t for us.

since we are all waiting for the deal to drop and I am in love with the beauty of my megatrade, can I request MM to get it done

posted it earlier, updated to balance it all a bit.

Freo: Bolton, 26 ( give - 10, 18, 30, F3)
GC: Rioli, F3, F3 ( give - 6, 23)
Haw: Barrass, 42, 43 ( give - F1, 33)
Rich: 6, 10, 18, 23, 33 ( give - Rioli, Bolton, Baker, 42, 43)
WC: Baker, F1, 30 ( give - Barass, 26, F3)

Tigers and Eagles can swap the 18 & F1 if needed. DGB( Richmond or whoever, don't care or they can pick him as DFA) and our F4( to Suns or Eagles) as steak knives to whoever wants it

If Suns want to salary to be paid & Tigers are fine, then those 2 F3's can go over to Tigers. Rest is steak knives, don't really care if its 43 or 51 for us. ( Tigers have atm 1,24,32,42,43,45,51, 61, 70 )

Maybe Eagles can pay bit of Barass salary as well as they are doing pretty well out of the deal.

Prefer to keep our 1st round pick as much as possible. Can't see any losers in this megatrade.

since we are all waiting for the deal to drop and I am in love with the beauty of my megatrade, can I request MM to get it done

posted it earlier, updated to balance it all a bit.

Freo: Bolton, 26 ( give - 10, 18, 30, F3)
GC: Rioli, F3, F3 ( give - 6, 23)
Haw: Barrass, 42, 43 ( give - F1, 33)
Rich: 6, 10, 18, 23, 33 ( give - Rioli, Bolton, Baker, 42, 43)
WC: Baker, F1, 30 ( give - Barass, 26, F3)

Tigers and Eagles can swap the 18 & F1 if needed. DGB( Richmond or whoever, don't care or they can pick him as DFA) and our F4( to Suns or Eagles) as steak knives to whoever wants it

If Suns want to salary to be paid & Tigers are fine, then those 2 F3's can go over to Tigers. Rest is steak knives, don't really care if its 43 or 51 for us. ( Tigers have atm 1,24,32,42,43,45,51, 61, 70 )

Maybe Eagles can pay bit of Barass salary as well as they are doing pretty well out of the deal.

Prefer to keep our 1st round pick as much as possible. Can't see any losers in this megatrade.
Shocked Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

We 100% would too.

How funny would it be if Baz okayed it and then came out and said it was where I wanted to be all along 😂

The reality is I'm sure we would've told him that once Barrass became available that we had to make him our priority. He'll eventually end up at the Cattery but it would be funny if we came in and swooped late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back