Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Quoting Tom Morris
The SydneySwans are in a similar position to GC. They have elite 2025 academy talent, so are more interested in next year's draft than other clubs.

So I wonder how strong the Swans desire is to release their 2024 - 2 x R1 this year?

What would they consider reasonable or enticing? I will give it a go :p

2024 - 19 (index 948) & 22 (index 845) = 1,793

2025 - 1 x R1 (18) - (index current 985)
2025 - 2 x R2 (36) - (index current 2 x 502 - likely more)
= 1,989 total current index

Would the Eagles then accept
IN - 19, 22 & 33
OUT - 26 & F3 to Hawthorn

Value = 948 + 845 + 563 - 729 - 483 = 1,144 equivalent to pick 14

Good attempt as it has 26 and F3 coming back with Barass. so effectively F1+F2 for all that.

Problem is I feel the swans don't want to do trades that benefit us( same as Pies don't want to strengthen a competing club argument). No other reason on why no noise was made for our pick14 to get 19+22 when Swans made that to Suns for pick 13.

When we had Pick 14, I would have asked if GWS wanted to upgrade their pick 15/16 to 14 in trade involving Max G. If we land pick 13, that would still be my first question. Or even offer Hawks F1+F2 for 15/16+Max G

Barrass is barely worth a straight F1. I’ll be very surprised if he gets through all games next season and the season after that. We’ll be nursing him just as we’re doing with Mitch Lewis. That’s the reality of it.
I want to eat my words. I’m not saying walk away but geewiz a 29year old with back problems. Hawks MUST have a lot of faith in his body holding up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you personally complete his medical?

Good attempt as it has 26 and F3 coming back with Barass. so effectively F1+F2 for all that.

Problem is I feel the swans don't want to do trades that benefit us( same as Pies don't want to strengthen a competing club argument). No other reason on why no noise was made for our pick14 to get 19+22 when Swans made that to Suns for pick 13.

When we had Pick 14, I would have asked if GWS wanted to upgrade their pick 15/16 to 14 in trade involving Max G. If we land pick 13, that would still be my first question. Or even offer Hawks F1+F2 for 15/16+Max G
I just cant see us being in the picture for pick 13.

I think he is just commenting on what’s objectively in front of us.

Has missed at least 5 games every season

Never been AA

29 years old with an extremely serious back injury

Not sure why Hawks are being asked to pay a premium for a player with this history and high risk moving forward

snl relax GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited to add I hope we find a way to add Barass. Quality player, quality individual.

Richmond will have probably 4 or 5 picks before Geelong.
They would be crazy not to use one of them on Smith.
They will easily have Salary Cap space to pay whatever he is asking, and his age profile actually suits their rebuild. Even if they take 4 or 5 years to become competitive again, Smith will still only be 28 and in his prime.
Yeah nah I can't see a bottom feeding team taking Baz. The guy already has a lot of off field issues the last thing he needs is to go to a team that will be regularly losing by triple figures most weeks. Just like WC with Barrass then last thing rebuilding clubs will want is having disgruntled senior players on their list with newly drafted rookies on the list.

In regards to Baz I wouldn't be surprised to see Collingwood come with a F1 but still unlikely. Outside of them I guess the Saints could split pick 8 for 12 + 14 from Carlton and then use 14 for Baz but at the end of the day it all comes down to would he really want to go / be there.

Every year teams talk tough, but inevitably the players always get to the destination they have nominated.

If we hold firm, West Coast will accept the generous offer of any of our future 1st & 2nd picks for Barrass.

As for Baz, I do find it funny that Geelong were staunch in forcing Port to add extra late picks last year to get an uncontracted Ratugolea, but are only willing to part with pick 17 for Baz otherwise they are threatening to walk away and take him with that same pick in the national draft.
They don't get enough criticism for their double standards.

Crazy to be living in a world where Liam Baker is driving a higher price than Bailey Smith or Clayton Oliver according to the esteemed brains trust that is the AFL media.

Never been AA

Not sure why Hawks are being asked to pay a premium for a player with this history and high risk moving forward
That’s the first time I have heard you express reservations about Barrass…………….. NOT

Every recruit and every player can have injuries at anytime.

I’d love to hear your thoughts when we got Silk and I don’t mean hindsight thoughts either.

Never been AA

Thankyou! Just commenting on what's potentially in front of us for premium as you stated as WC are demanding. I'm sure he's a quality individual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People dont become less likely to be injured as they get older...

He misses games every year. The odds are this continues. The odds are by his 4th and 5th year he will be missing even more.

Im not fussed if we dont get him. We put more work into Blanck and McCabe to help Frost. We have Battle to help Sicily.

Crazy to be living in a world where Liam Baker is driving a higher price than Bailey Smith or Clayton Oliver according to the esteemed brains trust that is the AFL media.
It's something like

Dan Rioli >
Liam Baker = Dan Houston >
John Noble >
Bailey Smith

What a time to be a Richmond list manager

Never been AA

Not a direct shot at you, but the "never been AA" argument riles me up.
Just like the Coach of the Year award, All Australian is nothing more than a popularity contest that holds next-to-zero weight.
I'm sure Corey Enright won more AA blazers than seasons played, and Shaun Burgoyne received just one (let that sink in).
Injury concerns may be vaild, but I'm not making recruiting decisions based on All Australians.

Never been AA

We’re offering him more years on more money, that’s why.

Would be a no-brainer for Richmond to take Smith if he ends up going to the draft.

1.They have enough picks in the first round to take the 'risk'.
2.Immediately adds another experienced midfield body alongside Taranto and Hopper.
3. Should have oodles of cap space available.

If it unfolds the way it's rumoured to be and he falls all the way to Geelong with nobody getting in first I'll probably vomit.

Would be a no-brainer for Richmond to take Smith if he ends up going to the draft.

1.They have enough picks in the first round to take the 'risk'.
2.Immediately adds another experienced midfield body alongside Taranto and Hopper.
3. Should have oodles of cap space available.

If it unfolds the way it's rumoured to be and he falls all the way to Geelong with nobody getting in first I'll probably vomit.
Would love to see it for the drama but can't see it happening.

People dont become less likely to be injured as they get older...

He misses games every year. The odds are this continues. The odds are by his 4th and 5th year he will be missing even more.

Im not fussed if we dont get him. We put more work into Blanck and McCabe to help Frost. We have Battle to help Sicily.
He won’t be sitting on a plane every second week, that going to help him massively

Hawthorn would have done their due diligence re Barrass’ health, before offering a 4 year contract.
Considering our chase for Mackay last year, we clearly feel he as a KPD is a key piece for our list.
He is contracted, I don’t know the specific value of Barrass, but it will be ‘overs’, just not unreasonable.
It will get done.

Hawthorn would have done their due diligence re Barrass’ health, before offering a 4 year contract.
Considering our chase for Mackay last year, we clearly feel he as a KPD is a key piece for our list.
He is contracted, I don’t know the specific value of Barrass, but it will be ‘overs’, just not unreasonable.
It will get done.
I'm so much happier with Battle and/or Barass than Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back