Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we end up with 13 some how, I'd wager that we'd jump at him?

We end up with pick 13, we get to draft night and tell Geelong we're taking him unless they send us their first this year and their first next.
We still end up with two firsts next year, we **** over Geelong, we find a pick around the worth of a Whitlock!

Richmond sorely overrating their players left right and centre.

To be fair both West Coast and Freo seem prepared to offer a top 15 pick for Liam Baker, and Gold Coast are begging to gift them pick 6 for Dan Rioli.

Richmond have hit the rebuild jackpot in terms of players wanting out when they need them to, and other clubs willing tp pay overs due to their own reasons.

Can’t wait for it to be called tanking..

To be fair both West Coast and Freo seem prepared to offer a top 15 pick for Liam Baker, and Gold Coast are begging to gift them pick 6 for Dan Rioli.

Richmond have hit the rebuild jackpot in terms of players wanting out when they need them to, and other clubs willing tp pay overs due to their own reasons.

Can’t wait for it to be called tanking..
Yeah it’s a shame we didn’t go down the same route in a way but of course some level of leadership/experience continuity helps. Hardwick going out the door earlier made this transition more likely

The most games Tom has ever played in a season is 19....he doesnt scream durability and is now is 29 years old

If WC dont think a F1 and a F2 is reasonable just walk away from the deal and say sorry Tom but you can thank your current club for the position you are in

Richmond sorely overrating their players left right and centre.

Meh, it's called haggling all teams do it. They are just trying to see if they can squeeze just a bit more from Fremantle by demanding more than they think they will get.

Us supporters need to take our fan glasses off sometimes and recognise it's not always about what a team rates a player as when it comes to negotiations.

If we end up with 13 some how, I'd wager that we'd jump at him?

If the Blues dont get Houston they have 12 and 14. There is no way they wouldnt use one of those on him. Geelong finished 3rd. The idea that Smith slips out all the way to their pick is crazy.

So if Geelong dont offer something proper to the Dogs, they then need to mess around with their picks to swap for a pick in the top 10.

Hell, would Essendon go for Smith with a top 10 pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 'walk Smith to the Draft' nonsense will bite the Cats, and I would love to see that happen.

GWS currently have picks 15 and 16.

Once trade period is over, if Smith is still in Limbo MM would be in the ear of GWS to trade them a F1 and change for pick 16 to snipe Smith.

That would be delicious.

We end up with pick 13, we get to draft night and tell Geelong we're taking him unless they send us their first this year and their first next.
We still end up with two firsts next year, we **** over Geelong, we find a pick around the worth of a Whitlock!
AFL would stop the draft, find a low first rounder out of thin air to gift Geelong for playing

AFL would stop the draft, find a low first rounder out of thin air to gift Geelong for playing

Maybe a few years ago when Hocking was running the AFL and leaking GCS salary cap info to Geelong. These days I dont think they have as many tentacles on switches.

There is no way that Smith will go to the draft. I don't believe it for a second. It's the only possible threat to get Geelong to increase their offer given every other club has dropped out.

Richmond will have probably 4 or 5 picks before Geelong.
They would be crazy not to use one of them on Smith.
They will easily have Salary Cap space to pay whatever he is asking, and his age profile actually suits their rebuild. Even if they take 4 or 5 years to become competitive again, Smith will still only be 28 and in his prime.

Quoting Tom Morris
The SydneySwans are in a similar position to GC. They have elite 2025 academy talent, so are more interested in next year's draft than other clubs.

So I wonder how strong the Swans desire is to release their 2024 - 2 x R1 this year?

What would they consider reasonable or enticing? I will give it a go :p

2024 - 19 (index 948) & 22 (index 845) = 1,793

2025 - 1 x R1 (18) - (index current 985)
2025 - 2 x R2 (36) - (index current 2 x 502 - likely more)
= 1,989 total current index

Would the Eagles then accept
IN - 19, 22 & 33
OUT - 26 & F3 to Hawthorn

Value = 948 + 845 + 563 - 729 - 483 = 1,144 equivalent to pick 14

Quoting Tom Morris
The SydneySwans are in a similar position to GC. They have elite 2025 academy talent, so are more interested in next year's draft than other clubs.

So I wonder how strong the Swans desire is to release their 2024 - 2 x R1 this year?

IN - 19, 22 & 33

That is way more than we've previously offered. Two firsts and a second this year?

Quoting Tom Morris

IN - 19, 22 & 33

Gotta remember that the curve for draft points tails off sooner, starting next year.

Picks lose about 25% of their current value by pick 30, 50% of their current value by pick 43.

Second round picks lose a lot of value from next year for matching purposes. Thirds are almost worthless unless they're right at the start of the round.

Barrass is barely worth a straight F1. I’ll be very surprised if he gets through all games next season and the season after that. We’ll be nursing him just as we’re doing with Mitch Lewis. That’s the reality of it.
I want to eat my words. I’m not saying walk away but geewiz a 29year old with back problems. Hawks MUST have a lot of faith in his body holding up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back