Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The talk around town with the increasing cap is 2 mill a season will be required for Reid when it’s his time to get the 💼.

Does he want the bag or want the flags though. This generation is dominated more by those who’ll make the monetary sacrifice for success.

Not from my perspective.

I have never seen Geelong beat us in a Grand Final since I have been alive.

We have more Premiership than they do even though they have been in the comp for 28 years longer than us.

They are a bit like Collingwood for me, sure some of their support can annoy you a bit but as a club they are basically harmless.

Hell I even barracked for them in the 1995 Grand Final, but they shit the bed.

I laughed my arse off all through the 2007 GF. Was one of the more enjoyable ones.

Im ok with great teams flogging pretenders. 2024 a prime example.

Unless they bring in 5 years of future trading picks Hawthorn is 0.1% chance of ever getting Harley Reid. We never
tank and go to the bottom which is what will be required to even get near the Eagles asking price.

It is not a hawthorn play and will never be.

3x top 10 picks will be required.

The talk around town with the increasing cap is 2 mill a season will be required for Reid when it’s his time to get the 💼.

Do a Collingwood and dip for a year to get Daicos then jump back and win a flag.

Its not tanking or tampering if you control 1/3 of the media.

Reid will be offered record breaking deals from all clubs. If he leaves before free agency, what will be interesting is that while he will be out of contract, that won’t hold any real sway unless he chooses the bottom side as any club would use any pick in the draft to take him. So it will need to be a deal that is not only satisfactory to him in dollar terms, to a club he wants to go to, but also a deal West Coast will accept with the most valuable trade asset in the game. The price will be astronomical.

Na, the problem with society today is massive inequality, greed, perpetual war, ecological breakdown, destruction of species etc etc, and that people are being conditioned to believe that "wOkEnEsS!" and "pEoPlE aRe So eAsiLy oFfeNdEd tHeSe dAyS!" are the biggest problems with society these days. And that the greedy people causing the inequality, war, destruction etc are the ones doing the conditioning......
1000%

I laughed my arse off all through the 2007 GF. Was one of the more enjoyable ones.

Have to admit I was a bit the same. Geelong flags are annoying but Mark Williams deserved every bit of that flogging for his stupid comments.

Assuming we get Barrass done then that is a pretty solid trade season for the Hawks with Barrass and Battle in and nothing of note going out.

Combine that with lasts year haul of Massimo, Chol and Ginnivan and it shows just how quickly you can turn a club around with some canny recruiting.

That’s five players in two years who will all be regular senior players and overall it didn’t cost the earth to get them. Value trades are what it’s all about IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel peeps banking super hard on trying to get Harley Reid is such a pie in the sky dream.

He would cost an astronomical amount - you would lose picks and a likely good player. You’d also need to negotiate with West Coast, who’ve proven themselves to be foolishly stubborn when selling (as opposed to just idiotic when buying).

Best chance we had to get Reid was his draft year. Other than that, there is better midfield value to be found.

We are best when we are shrewd like with Mass or Ginni or Chol.
I don't get this line of thinking? We are no worse off than any other club vying to get his signature. No-one else has particularly more assets to use. We have more cap space than most. The main thing that hinders us is we rarely have decent players wanting to leave, so it's harder to bring in first rounders (blessing and a curse in this case). Harder, but not impossible.

We also have the Wiz getting in his ear telling him how great Hokball is!

Also, I wouldn't be buying into the media, WC aren't unreasonable to deal with. They are not Freo/Essendon/Geelong.

I’m hoping with the Barrass trade being one of the cherry picked trades to pad out for the AFL to maximise clicks and views out of the trade period that we see a favourable schedule and more games at the MCG next year. That’s a quid pro quo I’ll gladly get into.

I can't see how the pressure is on us when you consider that if the Eagles don't trade TB their whole off season was really that pick 3 trade whilst retaining a 29 with health risks...so for their rebuild I would argue they need to move him for something, meaning we have leverage esp considering they want to do this fast to explore options to gett back into the first round

Last edited:
If any of Breust, Gunston or Frost retire at end of next season we will have plenty of salary cap space to accommodate Harley.
Just depends on the trade assets we possess and the eagles willingness to play ball
Frosty just had his best season and is looking super fit and keen - I certainly hope he doesn't retire next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back