Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

TO BE ASSESSED THIS WEEK:

Mason Cox

Mason Cox is making positive steps in his knee recovery and has already successfully completed one full training session early this week.

Cox will need to complete another training session later in the week to be available for selection.

Josh Eyre

Josh Eyre is half-way through the AFL’s concussion protocols, after sustaining a concussion during Collingwood’s Round 15 VFL match.

Eyre will now enter the training component of the protocols.

Jeremy Howe
After last week experiencing hamstring awareness, a precautionary scan cleared Jeremy Howe of any hamstring damage, but further investigation revealed a neural issue originating from his back that kept him out of last Friday’s clash against Geelong.

The 34-year-old has undergone treatment with physios over the weekend and will be available for Saturday’s game against Hawthorn should he complete training this week.

Wil Parker
Wil Parker has completed multiple running blocks over the past week as he continues his recovery from a meniscus tear.

Parker needs to complete a contact training session to be available to be available to play this weekend.

OTHER UPDATES:

Aiden Begg

Aiden Begg is progressing well through his rehab program after sustaining a knee injury.

The 21-year-old still has boxes to tick in his gym work before he can start any running programs.

Charlie Dean
During the third quarter of Collingwood’s Round 16 VFL game against Geelong, Charlie Dean suffered a head knock.

The defender has entered the AFL concussion protocols.

Beau McCreery
Beau McCreery is making positive steps within his rehab program as he recovers from a calf injury suffered in Round 16.

The 23-year-old is expected to be available within the next one to two weeks.

Brody Mihocek
Brody Mihocek has started his rehabilitation after undergoing successful surgery from a pectoral tendon injury, undertaking light activity to strengthen his shoulder movement.

Mihocek’s recovery is expected to take 10–12-weeks, resulting in him missing the reminder of the 2024 home-and-away season.

Tom Mitchell
Tom Mitchell has developed some soreness in his foot after commencing a running program over the past week.

The 31-year-old underwent scans and that did not reveal any further damage or issues.

Mitchell will be held back from running actions for a week which will alter his return timeframes, although the midfielder will be able to continue rehab work in the gym.

Jakob Ryan
Jakob Ryan has started open field training drills, increasing intensity of football actions throughout the week after sustaining a calf injury during Collingwood’s Round 15 VFL game.

The defender is expected to be available within one to two weeks, should he successfully complete a full team training session.

Lachie Schultz

Lachie Schultz has entered the AFL concussion protocols after sustaining a concussion during Collingwood’s Round 18 AFL match on Friday.

Schultz will work his way through the protocols.

Oscar Steene
Oscar Steene is progressing well in his toe injury recovery.

Steene has progressed from two to three running sessions per week and has reacted well to dynamic work on the sprung floor and pool.

He is expected to return within four to six weeks.

TO BE ASSESSED THIS WEEK:

Mason Cox

Mason Cox is making positive steps in his knee recovery and has already successfully completed one full training session early this week.

Cox will need to complete another training session later in the week to be available for selection.

Josh Eyre
Josh Eyre is half-way through the AFL’s concussion protocols, after sustaining a concussion during Collingwood’s Round 15 VFL match.

Jeremy Howe
After last week experiencing hamstring awareness, a precautionary scan cleared Jeremy Howe of any hamstring damage, but further investigation revealed a neural issue originating from his back that kept him out of last Friday’s clash against Geelong.

The 34-year-old has undergone treatment with physios over the weekend and will be available for Saturday’s game against Hawthorn should he complete training this week.

Wil Parker
Wil Parker has completed multiple running blocks over the past week as he continues his recovery from a meniscus tear.

Parker needs to complete a contact training session to be available to be available to play this weekend.

OTHER UPDATES:

Aiden Begg

Aiden Begg is progressing well through his rehab program after sustaining a knee injury.

The 21-year-old still has boxes to tick in his gym work before he can start any running programs.

Charlie Dean
During the third quarter of Collingwood’s Round 16 VFL game against Geelong, Charlie Dean suffered a head knock.

Beau McCreery
Beau McCreery is making positive steps within his rehab program as he recovers from a calf injury suffered in Round 16.

Brody Mihocek
Brody Mihocek has started his rehabilitation after undergoing successful surgery from a pectoral tendon injury, undertaking light activity to strengthen his shoulder movement.

Mihocek’s recovery is expected to take 10–12-weeks, resulting in him missing the reminder of the 2024 home-and-away season.

Tom Mitchell
Tom Mitchell has developed some soreness in his foot after commencing a running program over the past week.

The 31-year-old underwent scans and that did not reveal any further damage or issues.

Mitchell will be held back from running actions for a week which will alter his return timeframes, although the midfielder will be able to continue rehab work in the gym.

Jakob Ryan
Jakob Ryan has started open field training drills, increasing intensity of football actions throughout the week after sustaining a calf injury during Collingwood’s Round 15 VFL game.

The defender is expected to be available within one to two weeks, should he successfully complete a full team training session.

Lachie Schultz

Lachie Schultz has entered the AFL concussion protocols after sustaining a concussion during Collingwood’s Round 18 AFL match on Friday.

Oscar Steene

Steene has progressed from two to three running sessions per week and has reacted well to dynamic work on the sprung floor and pool.

Damn about Mitchell setback 😩

Players from all clubs come back every week who have been out longer than Mitchell.

Started running and already has soreness in his foot. He was 2-4 weeks last week so he's still at least that if not a week or so behind that now. By the time he is schedule to come back we'll have only 2 games left and that's if he doesn't have any more setbacks. Plus if we are out of finals contention why bother playing him in 2 useless games that mean nothing.

Started running and already has soreness in his foot. He was 2-4 weeks last week so he's still at least that if not a week or so behind that now. By the time he is schedule to come back we'll have only 2 games left and that's if he doesn't have any more setbacks. Plus if we are out of finals contention why bother playing him in 2 useless games that mean nothing.
Righto. Pack it all up. Seasons over everyone.

Mason Cox

Josh Eyre

Jeremy Howe

Wil Parker

OTHER UPDATES:

Aiden Begg

Charlie Dean

Beau McCreery

Brody Mihocek

Tom Mitchell

Jakob Ryan

Lachie Schultz

Oscar Steene

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my post about the Howe injury last week speculating about it being related to his back:

"I'm going to speculate that Howe's hamstring tightness/pain is probably back related seeing that nothing is showing on the scans. Hopefully nothing major.

Problem is that the referred pain is debilitating and makes you prone to actually suffer a tear."

I notice from this weeks injury report:

Jeremy Howe

Hey BEEG - care to elaborate as to why you put the laugh emoticon on my post?

Yeah three in a week. And have had too many this year.
I don't follow other teams' injury lists too much, & I'm glad we're doing our best to help players recover properly from concussion, but it just seems a mad year of injury disruptions.
Not our only issue, of course, but shit...

I don't follow other teams injury lists too much, & I'm glad we're doing our best to help players recover properly from concussion, but it just seems a mad year of injury disruptions.
Some clubs don't even bother testing their players after a head knock. Zerk Thatcher & Stewart are just 2 from this round I can think of. I'm sure there were more.

I don't follow other teams' injury lists too much, & I'm glad we're doing our best to help players recover properly from concussion, but it just seems a mad year of injury disruptions.
Prob best not to read the injury lists like I just did. Some teams are missing 1 best 22 player.

Yeah three in a week. And have had too many this year.
I wonder how many of them could have not entered protocols and whether we’re just ticking a box by putting them there.

I mean you only need to look at Stewart
And I understand it’s not a simple case of one size fits all but we seem to be one of those clubs that simply enters any head clash straight into protocols even if they are “grey” so to speak

This is my post about the Howe injury last week speculating about it being related to his back:

"I'm going to speculate that Howe's hamstring tightness/pain is probably back related seeing that nothing is showing on the scans. Hopefully nothing major.

Problem is that the referred pain is debilitating and makes you prone to actually suffer a tear."

I notice from this weeks injury report:

Jeremy Howe

Hey BEEG - care to elaborate as to why you put the laugh emoticon on my post?

You've overtaken Kappa as my online doctor of choice.

Some clubs don't even bother testing their players after a head knock. Zerk Thatcher & Stewart are just 2 from this round I can think of. I'm sure there were more.
These Clubs need to be investigated- giving such cursory attention to what is a huge issue needs sanction.
Couldn’t believe Stewart not going into HIA protocols.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back