List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can certainly improve the list. Add some speed, precision and smarts along with a genuine tall defender, surely these are priorities.

I still believe the biggest part of any issues is more about system and the way we utilise our players. We are way too quick to pigeon hole players and refuse to move the magnets. I firmly believe our preferred structures and player use detracts considerably from some players offensive effectiveness.

Before we go and low our immediate draft capital on another small forward, I want to see Fogarty and Motlop back in the mix. Fog has proven to be our best pressure forward, and Mots has the most attacking instincts. We have a myriad of small and medium defensive options, surely Williams and/or Boyd should/could be tried in the forward half. Similarly Binns has little trouble kicking goals from a wing in the twos. He applies good pressure and is capable of some very creative disposal and has earned a decent shot at the top team. It took years for our creative minds to realise Cottrell is a better (high) half forward than he is a wingman running up and down the ground. Binns deserves the opportunity rather than running up and down the wing in a dysfunctional reserves team.

Can’t help but get the feeling, with us signing Durdin for two years, in round 8. That we think our small forwards are good enough.
Potentially, but we have been linked to Hayward which makes me think they aren't content. I just cant imagine anyone at Carlton genuinely believes that our small forwards aren't a week area, the difference in class and smarts compared to the top liners is enormous.

It could be a really bad sliding doors moment for us not taking Kozy or Weightman in that draft instead of Kemp. Small forward was a glaring need at the time too so not hindsight drafting.
Will be a much worse slidings door moment if we don't address it this off season. Cripps, Curnow, Weiters etc aren't getting any younger. Have to make the most of it while they are still dominant players.

It could be a really bad sliding doors moment for us not taking Kozy or Weightman in that draft instead of Kemp. Small forward was a glaring need at the time too so not hindsight drafting.
They came out at 12 and 15 with Kemp at 17 though.
Brad Close as the 14th picked rookie would help.

You know this how.

Sat behind the bench in the MCC, observed him in a very animated discussion with Russell. At the time my brother and I said it looks like Russell is telling him he is right to go and he is saying no. Then Voss declared him fit and seem frustrated in the presser. That’s my read of what happened.

Sat behind the bench in the MCC, observed him in a very animated discussion with Russell. At the time my brother and I said it looks like Russell is telling him he is right to go and he is saying no. Then Voss declared him fit and seem frustrated in the presser. That’s my read of what happened.

Appreciate the response.

I think there is some massive overreaction to a couple of close losses, while missing a number of players

Yes there are some holes and or weaknesses, but the list isn't that bad

Two years ago we needed a better strategy with injury prone types, but I suspect at the end of this year, a couple will be let go

Marchbank will likely be the first, can't question his commitment, but his body isn't up to it and there will be others

Like every year, for pretty much every club, there will be 8-9 changes

The key is finding the right bang for buck types. Plenty out there, it's a matter of enticing them

Give me pace. Nothing less.

We won't have pace through leg speed. That's just not us.

Where we get our pace from is moving the ball quick. When we do that, we look as fast as anyone.

Against the Pies we played too safe, worried to make mistakes so just took the safe option 9 times out of 10. Played right into their hands, they knew where we were going before we did and they setup for it every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is some massive overreaction to a couple of close losses, while missing a number of players

Yes there are some holes and or weaknesses, but the list isn't that bad

Two years ago we needed a better strategy with injury prone types, but I suspect at the end of this year, a couple will be let go

Marchbank will likely be the first, can't question his commitment, but his body isn't up to it and there will be others

Like every year, for pretty much every club, there will be 8-9 changes

The key is finding the right bang for buck types. Plenty out there, it's a matter of enticing them

100% Arrow, since Friday night there’s been some massive overreaction. Cull the list (not minor changes, but cull - what? Get rid of Charlie, Harry, weiters and Cripps along with the rest of the list?), club has appointed failed coaches, posters using selective facts, etc.

We’ve lost 3 games this year by a total of less than 4 goals. Lost to reigning premiers by one goal, kicked ourselves out of it against the Cats but it was still close. Have beaten gws. Think of where we were at round 15 last year to now. We’ve Come a long, long way. Club is clearly doing something right. We almost played off in the grand final last year.

Not saying we don’t need changes, but don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Do we need to defend better? Yes, Voss has said that. Do we need more from our bottom 6 players?Yes, but back the coaches in to either improve those players or replace them. Our injury list is a problem, which the club is looking at - Cooke spoke about it last week.

There’s no overnight fixes in football, things take time. Change for the sack of change means nothing, could send us backwards. Needs to be strategic change. We don’t play in isolation from other clubs, it’s a competition and different strategies take time to work, but some expect immediate fixes as if 17 other clubs don’t exist - the wrong change can quickly send us back very quickly because other clubs will exploit it.

One thing I’d like to see is us getting more proactive at trade / draft period, like the top clubs continually do. Need to get some good talls and some mids now to develop for the future.

Blues have a passionate fanbase which is great, but some are pretty quick to point the finger. We’re doing very well, but yes we need to also get better. But we’ve come a long way so back the players / club in.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
One thing I’d like to see is us getting more proactive at trade / draft period, like the top clubs continually do. Need to get some good talls and some mids now to develop for the future.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Going after mids and talls now with a look towards the future and not addressing our holes would be disastrous. We are in our window and have a couple of the most glaring holes across the competition.

It must be addressed this off season. Our small forwards are the worst in the league.

Funny thing is they went for Papley in 2019 and couldn’t get him over the line. They knew it was a weakness.

I have no doubt there were genuine concerns over Cripps body and whether he would even stay at the club leading to the recruitment of Kemp. He was rated a top 5 talent and was considered a steal at the time. Still will be a very good player if we stick by him. But gee it’s tough watching all of these gun smalls kicking loads of goals for other clubs whilst we struggle to find one who will even get us 30 in a season.

Sam Flanders, Kozzie Pickett, Will Day, Cody Weightman, Miles Bergman, SDK all missed but at least we got Sam Philp as the steak knives with Kemp….. 🥴

Sos and live trading, first round pick swaps 🙈

Potentially, but we have been linked to Hayward which makes me think they aren't content. I just cant imagine anyone at Carlton genuinely believes that our small forwards aren't a weak area, the difference in class and smarts compared to the top liners is enormous.
We don’t seem content.
Recognise that Motlop and Durdin need more time - hence identifying Fantasia in the off-season.
Interesting that Owies and Fogarty are the only ones from our five small forwards who are out of contract this year. Most people will think they are auto resignings.
Maybe Fogarty is considered in the forward /mid group (with E Hollands, Cottrell, Martin, Cuningham).
Be very interested to see what happens in the off season in this space.

Do we not believe a player might know his ‘body’ best? Docherty is a great example, just this year. Our doctors sent him back on!!
BTW - I find it very difficult to believe a player wouldn’t want to play.

Sam Flanders, Kozzie Pickett, Will Day, Cody Weightman, Miles Bergman, SDK all missed but at least we got Sam Philp as the steak knives with Kemp….. 🥴

SOS just loved stockpiling 1st round picks rather than targeting specific needs imo....did he honestly think that Stocker was in the top half dozen in the 2018 draft.

He brings Eddie back to the club in 2020 afer missing out on Papley in the trade period, highlighting the need for a small forward - but chooses to split the pick in the 2019 draft to bring in a tall utility and a midfielder, when players like Pickett and Weightman were there for the picking? By memory, we even had Dan Butler tour the facility but SOS chose not to pursue for whatever reason. Absolutely baffling list management.

At least Austin has tried to rectify it by trading in Fogarty in the 2020 trade period, and selecting Durdin and Motlop with our first selections in the 2020 and 2021 drafts - even though we didn't have high picks to play with, and both were 2nd round selections at pick #37 and #27 respectively.

Yep not to mention the future first round pick swap the year before with Adelaide to get us Stocker that ended up costing us Serong or Young.

SOS just loved stockpiling 1st round picks rather than targeting specific needs imo....did he honestly think that Stocker was in the top half dozen in the 2018 draft.

He brings Eddie back to the club in 2020 afer missing out on Papley in the trade period, highlighting the need for a small forward - but chooses to split the pick in the 2019 draft to bring in a tall utility and a midfielder, when players like Pickett and Weightman were there for the picking? By memory, we even had Dan Butler tour the facility but SOS chose not to pursue for whatever reason. Absolutely baffling list management.

At least Austin has tried to rectify it by trading in Fogarty in the 2020 trade period, and selecting Durdin and Motlop with our first selections in the 2020 and 2021 drafts - even though we didn't have high picks to play with, and both were 2nd round selections at pick #37 and #27 respectively.

He didn't bring back Eddie if what was said at the time was correct. This was done by Liddle, wasn't it? Part of the reason why Silvagni supposedly went off his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back