List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carroll would be in the gun I reckon. Not sure of his contract status though.
I'm with ya....reckon he'd need to be playing some senior games next year, or at least smashing the door down at VFL level.

According to Footywire, contracted until the end of 2024. Here's their list of players that come out of contract the end of next year. Early days, but as it currently stands, I reckon there's only about 5 on that list that would feel reasonably confident.

1695820607820.png

Honey has been a bit of a disappointment really....he's been given a number of chances at senior level over the past few years, but has never produced that breakout game that leaves you thinking 'wow, I reckon we might have one here'....

And if we were looking for that midfield bull like a Degoey or Petracca, look no further. He has all the physical attributes, but unfortunately it appears not the ability. In one of the preseason practice matches against Port Melbourne earlier this year, he was pinch hitting at centre bounces, and burst out of the square like a man possessed. Maybe we should have given him more midfield minutes in the magoo's during the year, but sadly it looks like he's destined elsewhere.
Yeah, I was really bullish on him prior to this year.
Has all the physical attributes, quick, powerful, good size, really sticky hands, good kick. Unfortunately, just hasn't been able to put it together this year. He couldn't get near it.
Imagine if he had Owies' football brain.

He's got another year.
And especially with Dow going, I doubt we'd let him go.
I could easily see WCE wanting to get their mitts on him - bringing in as much young talent as possible to fast track their rebuild.

If they end up splitting pick 1 for multiple picks, I could see them making a play for Carroll if he wanted to head back home. You reckon they'd be reasonably happy with a haul of Curtin, Tholstrup and Carroll just for starters, as well as Tyler Brockman heading across.

I could easily see WCE wanting to get their mitts on him - bringing in as much young talent as possible to fast track their rebuild.

If they end up splitting pick 1 for multiple picks, I could see them making a play for Carroll if he wanted to head back home. You reckon they'd be reasonably happy with a haul of Curtin, Tholstrup and Carroll just for starters, as well as Tyler Brockman heading across.
I'll be pretty surprised if we would give him up.

Would make the trade, get him to sign the contract, rip the contract up in front of him and delist. Next, I would put a pack of Mentos and a bottle of 2L Coke in front of him and tell him we'll forgive him and he can stay if he puts all the Mentos in the coke and then drinks it all. Once he has completed that, would say "just kidding!" And delist him anyway.
Are you ok? 😂😂😂

I'll be pretty surprised if we would give him up.
If WC offered a reasonable pick for Carroll, I'd snap it up while his still contracted.
Also try and move LOB on, use some of the Fish, Carroll and LOB salary to bump Dow's offer up and basically offer him a permanent sub role/ first considered for any mid injuries.(I imagine Saints are offering a better arrangement)

Last edited:
If WC offered a reasonable pick for Carroll, I'd snap it up while his still contracted.
Also try and move LOB on, use some of the Fish, Carroll and LOB salary to bump Dow's offer up and basically offer him a permanent sub role/ first considered for any mid injuries.(I imagine Saints are offering a better arrangement)
Good idea but Keep him as one of the mids ….

Cripps Cerra Walsh Dow and one of Kennedy/Hewett

Can’t afford to have Cripps Kennedy Jewett playing in the midfield group together. Makes us to slow.

Might have been playing on Saturday with better, faster ball delivery to Charlie, Harry and Martin?
About $2.5 mil invested in those 3, and they're worth it, F50 entries were poor last game.. Brisbane were good, so were Melbourne and Pies a few weeks ago.
We've got the list to go all the way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, apparently pure leg speed is EVERYTHING!

Never quite worked out how it helps without the pill…
GWS under Cameron were similar to where we are at now. Leon preached the importance of contested footy and wanting his side to be known for that. Kingsley since taking over has brought a bit more balanced approach to his use of their list. IMO their footy in the second half of the year is the best they've played since their inception.

I think and have been saying for a while now that a forward/mid who is an impact player in both areas is probably high priority. Whether that be from recruitment or development, that is what we need.

The other areas is our ball movement. We had our pants pulled down in finals being too slow. Luck saw us win our first two, particularly the second game and in the third it was all exposed and layed out on the table. We were witches hats up in Brisbane for 3 quarters.

That means the defence and the midfield need to be worked on.

Onball group is too slow and immobile. Been saying this for years now. Especially with how the game is played now. We remind me of Geelong when they were building their side, recognised they needed a burst mid and went all out to get Dangerfield. That's what we need, that second burst mid. Cerra is up and down, not really a burst mid, becoming more of an inside mid. Walsh is but teams have figured out, if they stop him running through the contest they can minimise his damage. The coach won't play Dow. So we need to fix this, need to have another mid with genuine burst speed and hurt factor in there.

The defence is an issue. It was really evident last season and this. We need 3 genuine half back types in the team so they can rotate between half back and back pocket. Last year when Docherty, Williams and Saad all played, they shared the load, rotated and we played with some really good run and dash. Take one out it was evident. Take two out and we really struggled. Another Saad would be the dream but not reality. He's elite. We just need someone similar. Coach had Fisher playing that similar role, similar output but won't play him so we have an issue there. William back next season, who knows what he will come back like. Saad will be heavily relied on. It was rubbish coaching how we dumped the whole run and carry half back game on him come finals, bringing Boyd back at the last minute, we looked like a team who didn't know what we wanted or needed at selection.

I think we are ok for small running defenders. If we aren't going to persist with developing Fisher there we will need to find another one.

If we go into next season without a good two way running half back line then we will be lucky to make finals let alone finish the season in a healthy way. Same goes for finding that extra quick agile midfielder. Agility is probably the big one. Too many straight line mids in the team which means pressure will drop off and quality of clearance drops off. That's why these things dropped off for finals when we dropped Dow who has good agility burst speed. Makes things easier in the middle for guys like Lachie Neal who has elite agility and works well in a small space if you have a heap of big straight line mids. Just one side step and he's got all the time in the world.

How we find that who knows. Either stick with Dow or we recruit someone.

I'll say it again. That team structure and ball movement we took into finals this year will not make finals and will not make it to the end of the season in very good shape. Teams have been restructuring their list for speed and run and there are a lot of teams who are going to bob up next year who are quick and getting quicker and playing the modern way. That ugly footy that returned for finals will cook out players, their bodies won't make it to finals playing that sort of footy.

So we need speed and agility around the ball, we need speed and two way run from behind the ball from our backline.

As far as I am concerned, don't worry about the forward line until our ball movement is fixed. Could have the AA forward line in that team, if our finals ball movement is anything to do by it would not kick a score. We couldn't even get the Colman medalist kicking goals it was that bad. Poor coaching or lack of players. Whatever it is, if the coach refuses to play guys who can run then we will have to go out and recruit players who can run and kick and find the footy who he will play.

I think and have been saying for a while now that a forward/mid who is an impact player in both areas is probably high priority. Whether that be from recruitment or development, that is what we need.

The other areas is our ball movement. We had our pants pulled down in finals being too slow. Luck saw us win our first two, particularly the second game and in the third it was all exposed and layed out on the table. We were witches hats up in Brisbane for 3 quarters.

Onball group is too slow and immobile. Been saying this for years now. Especially with how the game is played now. We remind me of Geelong when they were building their side, recognised they needed a burst mid and went all out to get Dangerfield. That's what we need, that second burst mid. Cerra is up and down, not really a burst mid, becoming more of an inside mid. Walsh is but teams have figured out, if they stop him running through the contest they can minimise his damage. The coach won't play Dow. So we need to fix this, need to have another mid with genuine burst speed and hurt factor in there.

The defence is an issue. It was really evident last season and this. We need 3 genuine half back types in the team so they can rotate between half back and back pocket. Last year when Docherty, Williams and Saad all played, they shared the load, rotated and we played with some really good run and dash. Take one out it was evident. Take two out and we really struggled. Another Saad would be the dream but not reality. He's elite. We just need someone similar. Coach had Fisher playing that similar role, similar output but won't play him so we have an issue there. William back next season, who knows what he will come back like. Saad will be heavily relied on. It was rubbish coaching how we dumped the whole run and carry half back game on him come finals, bringing Boyd back at the last minute, we looked like a team who didn't know what we wanted or needed at selection.

I think we are ok for small running defenders. If we aren't going to persist with developing Fisher there we will need to find another one.

If we go into next season without a good two way running half back line then we will be lucky to make finals let alone finish the season in a healthy way. Same goes for finding that extra quick agile midfielder. Agility is probably the big one. Too many straight line mids in the team which means pressure will drop off and quality of clearance drops off. That's why these things dropped off for finals when we dropped Dow who has good agility burst speed. Makes things easier in the middle for guys like Lachie Neal who has elite agility and works well in a small space if you have a heap of big straight line mids. Just one side step and he's got all the time in the world.

I'll say it again. That team structure and ball movement we took into finals this year will not make finals and will not make it to the end of the season in very good shape. Teams have been restructuring their list for speed and run and there are a lot of teams who are going to bob up next year who are quick and getting quicker and playing the modern way. That ugly footy that returned for finals will cook out players, their bodies won't make it to finals playing that sort of footy.

So we need speed and agility around the ball, we need speed and two way run from behind the ball from our backline.

As far as I am concerned, don't worry about the forward line until our ball movement is fixed. Could have the AA forward line in that team, if our finals ball movement is anything to do by it would not kick a score. We couldn't even get the Colman medalist kicking goals it was that bad. Poor coaching or lack of players. Whatever it is, if the coach refuses to play guys who can run then we will have to go out and recruit players who can run and kick and find the footy who he will play.

So keep Dow and we make the 2024 grand final.

Yea na.

Gman, you seem to have gone full circle on Voss and the coaching group as well as fixated on Dow

I can understand the sentiment before we started our run, but to use the term "lucky" to describe our 2nd half of the season, winning two finals, seems very strange

We didn't lose against Brisbane due to not picking Dow, nor was it due to the overall pace of our midfield group, especially considering our wins 2nd half of the year

I was just reflecting on Dow's potential compared to Carroll's. Carroll has talent, but something hasn't clicked for him at Carlton.
Might be a valuable player over West, and they could possibly recognise that?

Dow is about to turn 24. Been on the list 6 years and played 70 odd games. I don't think there's any hidden potential. What we see is what he is.

Didn't see Carroll mentioned anywhere in your post. Carroll has potential noting his age, games and time at the club.

Gman, you seem to have gone full circle on Voss and the coaching group as well as fixated on Dow

I can understand the sentiment before we started our run, but to use the term "lucky" to describe our 2nd half of the season, winning two finals, seems very strange

We didn't lose against Brisbane due to not picking Dow, nor was it due to the overall pace of our midfield group, especially considering our wins 2nd half of the year
All those words for the poster to say “Voss can’t coach.” Tolstoy would be proud.

I was just reflecting on Dow's potential compared to Carroll's. Carroll has talent, but something hasn't clicked for him at Carlton.
Might be a valuable player over West, and they could possibly recognise that?
He’s 20 years old. Pretty sure even some of the all time greats were struggling to get games at that age

Dow is about to turn 24. Been on the list 6 years and played 70 odd games. I don't think there's any hidden potential. What we see is what he is.

Didn't see Carroll mentioned anywhere in your post. Carroll has potential noting his age, games and time at the club.
The post you responded to was someone else, but conversation began with suggesting we should hang on to Dow and trade Carroll, Fish and LOB if possible.(all 3 are contracted and might receive a better pick this year)
Carroll is young, but has been here for 3 years now, seems to be stagnating, perhaps it's not lack of talent, but something else going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back