List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For team balance AND to prolong his battered body
could we look more as cripps being the a third KPF next year
reasonable set shot, good height, would be good ground ball pressure in our forward line
would ge the third best defender and probably height/strength match up

ok will our centre clearances be as good, no, would it better better for team balance over all
if the game requires it, we can always move a fresh cripps inot the middle for 10 minutes

by all means throw a fit healthy , hungry cripps into the middle for the finals, just not the sore battered one by the home and away rounds
need to start to preserve him from himself
A broken ribs cripps in a prelim wont get us to a GF

For team balance AND to prolong his battered body
could we look more as cripps being the a third KPF next year
reasonable set shot, good height, would be good ground ball pressure in our forward line
would ge the third best defender and probably height/strength match up

ok will our centre clearances be as good, no, would it better better for team balance over all
if the game requires it, we can always move a fresh cripps inot the middle for 10 minutes

by all means throw a fit healthy , hungry cripps into the middle for the finals, just not the sore battered one by the home and away rounds
need to start to preserve him from himself
A broken ribs cripps in a prelim wont get us to a GF

I like the idea - or do we just manage him - maybe he plays 15 games instead of 23.

The following players would benefit from huge VO2 max training in the off season:

• motlop
  • Cerra
  • tdk
  • cowan
  • cuners
  • boyd
  • cincotta

Will help us a lot if they put a good six month block in.
I used to like it in the old days when a number of players in the VFL/AFL took up pro running in the summer months. I reckon it wouldn't hurt some of these blokes to join up with an athletics squad with a professional running coach to improve their technique and capacity.

Unfortunately these day, the sports scientists would totally freak out if it was something they couldn't control or measure.

I like the idea - or do we just manage him - maybe he plays 15 games instead of 23.
thats the problem, champions hate not playing or giving %100, sometimes you have to protect them from themselves
and they will hate it
Did it as president of my local sportign clubs, had two juniors who were playing juniors,seniors and rep level seniors and juniors each weekend
Got with the coaches, we picked a weekend and told them that had it off
they were pissed, but it helped
Same way south australia manages games at TAC level for camporeale boys

The following players would benefit from huge VO2 max training in the off season:

• motlop
  • Cerra
  • tdk
  • cowan
  • cuners
  • boyd
  • cincotta

Will help us a lot if they put a good six month block in.
Cerra was probably our B&F winner up to R20 against Collingwood until he hurt his hamstring.

Probably will still be top 3 in our B&F for the season.

Maybe it’s why we didn’t finish first? 🤔

Wondering what the excuse for the other 15 clubs might be

Pendlebury, Adams, Mitchell, Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage

Doesn't scream blistering pace

The difference in speed is on the fringes/rotations, something that we have addressed, but needs more attention

Finals is about contested footy, which increases from H&A

But myth of Dow being the difference continues despite our run starting and finishing without him

The difference in speed is on the fringes/rotations, something that we have addressed, but needs more attention

But myth of Dow being the difference continues despite our run starting and finishing without him
It's probably just as much fast, quality ball delivery as well as leg speed, that tapered off at the end.
Dow wouldn't have won the game for us, but he was in good form and wasn't carrying obvious injuries.
All our injured and lack of recent game time players were disappointing, with hindsight we should have 'rested' a couple and played so called lesser quality replacements.

It's probably just as much fast, quality ball delivery as well as leg speed, that tapered off at the end.
Dow wouldn't have won the game for us, but he was in good form and wasn't carrying obvious injuries.
Yes fit, but wasn't in what I would call good form to surpass others in the midfield

All our injured and lack of recent game time players were disappointing, with hindsight we should have 'rested' a couple and played so called lesser quality replacements.

Like, Boyd, Marchbank?

Resting players for a final? No coach would use that strategy

I'm not worried about the other clubs but there is reasons we finished 3rd and NOT first and one could well be pace. I think that is obvious

PS you name the slower players but don't name DeGoey Daicos Quaynor Cameron Coleman Bailey etc. :think:

To me pace and speed is a mix of leg speed and ball use etc that allows us to move the ball quicker and with effectiveness. IMO that is a weakness we need to address

As for Dow. He wasn't the difference (I haven't seen anyone who says he is) but I still don't understand why he was dropped

I'm not worried about the other clubs but there is reasons we finished 3rd and NOT first and one could well be pace. I think that is obvious
I am not out worried about other clubs either, just highlighting that clubs with so called quick midfielders didn't achieve what we did

PS you name the slower players but don't name DeGoey Daicos Quaynor Cameron Coleman Bailey etc. :think:
I did say fringes/rotations didn't I?

Only JDG could classify as a fulltime mid of that group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to like it in the old days when a number of players in the VFL/AFL took up pro running in the summer months. I reckon it wouldn't hurt some of these blokes to join up with an athletics squad with a professional running coach to improve their technique and capacity.

Unfortunately these day, the sports scientists would totally freak out if it was something they couldn't control or measure.

Big H did it in an off season down at Moorabbin athletics track

Yes fit, but wasn't in what I would call good form to surpass others in the midfield

Like, Boyd, Marchbank?

Resting players for a final? No coach would use that strategy
Agree Marchy(he's played a block of games now) and Boyd were good.
From my memory of the game, the mids that weren't carrying documented injuries, Walsh, Cerra? and George played their roles.
Couldn't replace them all, but especially in a crucial game you can't carry 60%? of your midfield with known injuries and expect to win.
Despite falling over the line in previous weeks.

Agree Marchy and Boyd were good.
From my memory of the game, the mids that weren't carrying documented injuries, Walsh, Cerra? and George played their roles.
Couldn't replace them all, but especially in a crucial game you can't carry 60%? of your midfield with known injuries and expect to win.
Despite falling over the line in previous weeks.

So who would Dow of come in for, because this is what you really want to highlight

So who would Dow of come in for, because this is what you really want to highlight
Not really, he's just the next in line.
Without knowing the extent of each players restrictions due to injury, it's beyond anyone on bigfooty to clarify.
Kennedy is the obvious one, but certain individuals might have been more banged up?

Half forward, wing, half back, forward pocket, half back, half forward.....I wonder why those names weren't mentioned in response to a comment about having a slow midfield?

I think our midfield is mostly OK, as long as we're only playing one of Kennedy and Hewett most weeks.

The scope for improvement there comes from upgrading a couple of rotation options. Replace Fogarty with someone with a bit of burst/dash. Get Martin on ball a couple of times a quarter. Find a way to sneak Durdin and/or Motlop into the rotations. Get Williams back into the side and have him running past for the give-and-go, as well as the occasional CBA.

Half forward, wing, half back, forward pocket, half back, half forward.....I wonder why those names weren't mentioned in response to a comment about having a slow midfield?

I think our midfield is mostly OK, as long as we're only playing one of Kennedy and Hewett most weeks.

The scope for improvement there comes from upgrading a couple of rotation options. Replace Fogarty with someone with a bit of burst/dash. Get Martin on ball a couple of times a quarter. Find a way to sneak Durdin and/or Motlop into the rotations. Get Williams back into the side and have him running past for the give-and-go, as well as the occasional CBA.
Voss not selecting George, Kennedy and Pitto when available would be a rarity.(that's not a fast midfield by any standards)

100% agree. Most times we can only play 2 of Cripps Kennedy Hewett

I can see Motlop Martin Hollands & Williams all having midfield minutes. Docherty as well and maybe even Saad? Cuningham has the ability if he can be more consistent. Cottrell the same. The if we add E.Hollands he will help as well

It was an issue this year for us but it's something I believe we can easily rectify in 2024

I don’t see it with Carroll .. if wc want him and he wants to go home , let him go for for a token pick .. guy can’t kick and we have plenty who can’t kick .. not a fast mid aswell which we need .. fast mid and high half forward is what I want to draft … backs seem fine , tdk to take the number 1 ruck and add a third banana forward and call it quits for the pre season..

I would have thought Dow was the better option as sub across finals - injecting his pace and agility around stoppages would have been useful, especially against tiring opponents. As much as I love Kennedy, he looked off the pace and failed to have much impact.

I hope we move away from playing Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy together

This is the same argument with the same people.

Dow camp has recruited extremely well & brought in Soapy V - which is an elite acquisition (thanks for coming back to play Soapy V )
There’s no point arguing it further - neither side is changing their view & they are polar opposites.

Would have thought being exposed in transition & centre clearance when it really mattered might have swung some votes, but that then implies Voss isn’t a coaching & tactical genius & that gets peoples backs up again.

I just wonder what happened to the pretty much board wide consensus that Voss needed some help tactically- yes we got on an amazing run - but push came to shove & we went back to where we started and dropped our pace & transition, with that Charlie stopped kicking goals.

Fair to say there needs to be improvements & growth in the off season.

The talk of Elijah is brilliant, Williams coming back, Boyd growing, young exciting wingers, fit Cunners etc is super exciting to be thinking here comes the run & dynamic ball movement - Charlie & H are going to kick 65+ each!
But then there’s Dow - the poster child for attacking clearance - when that’s seemingly not being valued that scares the shit out of me whether we are going to embrace fluid movement.
His score involments & meters gained were massive, statistically he is (or very close to) the best CB mid in the comp - he was winning c.25% of CB contested & that wasn’t with our best mids helping him.

I’m hoping he sticks around, with Saints having an interest in Shiel I hope they get that & then cool on Dow - don’t think that sides a good match for his skill set anyway.

We will learn more in the next few weeks, rocking up with Walshy to the Brownlow gives me hope he wants to stay a Blue & be part of the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back