List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright.

I don't do this much, but it's become pretty clear that we need to come up with some alternatives for KPD. I do not think that Young is a never option - for all that he's looked poor when played alongside Weitering, he's been more than fine in Jacob's absence - but if Jacob goes down and Young truly isn't up to it, we need other options. So, find below a series of different players out of contract over the next two seasons*:

Emerson Jeka, 22, 198cm, Geelong
Denver Grainger-Barras, 22, 194cm, Hawthorn
Jacob Blight, 22, 196cm, Richmond
Dougal Howard, 28, 199cm, St Kilda
Harry Arnold, 25, 196cm, Sydney

Josh Draper, 20, 197cm, Fremantle
Leek Aleer, 22, 193cm, GC
Charlie Ballard, 24, 197cm, GC
Josh Gibcus, 21, 196cm, Richmond
Tylar Young, 25, 197cm, Richmond
Arie Schoenmaker, 19, 194cm, St Kilda
Will Edwards, 21, 197cm, Sydney

I'd like to highlight two for this season, and three for next year.

Dougal Howard might be 28, but needs must when the clock's ticking. He's been a leader for them down back, and has been heralded by St Kilda and around the comp for being able to perform when it's hot. He's possibly a little slow, but he's a true key defender and could potentially take the monsters which would free up Jacob to be more aggressive. He'd slot straight in and more or less make a difference from day dot.

Denver Grainger-Barras went in the first round of 2020, as pick 6; the bogeyman pick, so there's a buyer beware there. Still, he was heralded as the best KPD prospect in the draft pool since Jacob himself, so dominant was his U18's. For whatever reason - unprofessionalism, fitness, the demands of an AFL lifestyle - he's not gotten much runtime for Hawthorn under Mitchell - who has preferred Frost and others over him - so he'd absolutely be worth a look to see if the change of club and a change of mindset could spark something in him. The thought of playing in finals almost immediately might also appeal. Of this list, he's got the biggest risk/reward IMO; if he's not up to it and Mitchell's Hawthorn are fair in their assessment, he's a wasted trade target, but if he is that's our backline sorted for 10 years.

Josh Draper played a ****ing good game against Charlie early in the season for three terms, holding him and competing brilliantly. There's not all that many 20 year olds who can do that, and he was 19 at the time. He's got good speed, is tall enough for genuine KPD, and is used to playing second fiddle to a dominant KPD in Pearce. He'd be a spectacular get, as he's very young and has plenty of time to develop with us; there's also that Freo have been excellent talent scouts, and their backline's stacked. If he's getting games this young, he's a prospect.

Charlie Ballard is someone GC would be ****ing crazy to let go, so it amazed me that he was even allowed to be 18 months away from being out of contract. It could be out of sight out of mind due to playing for GC, but he's genuinely an intercepting machine. He's the player that Caleb Marchbank has threatened to be when fit, and in all honesty would immediately enter our 22 - this year or next year - and have arguably the most impact. He's also a good player to have with your back to the wall.

Leek Aleer won't be leaving GWS, but imagine if he did. Imagine his athleticism as both a KPD adjacent and a rebounder. He's quick, he's got an amazing leap, and he's a smart footballer; I can remember a game early in the season in which he gave a free kick away and his opponent rubbed it in his face only to have it spur him to being a wall for the entire second half. He mightn't be as immediate an in as the others - although, he really might; we're not all that deep - but he'd add dimensions to our defense that we lack at present in that while Saad and Boyd are fast, we do not have someone who can successfully spoil someone like Charlie Cameron, Elliott or Howe when they choose to leap. Aleer would provide that in spades.

*Player contract data taken from Footywire. If it's wrong, it's not my fault and don't at me.

Last edited:
To bring in another KPD we need to get rid of Young. He can't work with Weitering so replacing him with a similar level player who's capable of working in tandem would be beneficial.

Perhaps we can nab the next McCartin boy at the end of the year.

The lack of respect to Mowies on this board is bizarre. Hes our third best forward and the decision to make him sub last night was a joke.
He’s ok but not in our top 15 players picked. If not 20 based on last night and without people getting upset, I’m just basing it on facts. Because against gws he was really picked as player 23. Btw he’s our 3rd best goal kicker this year, not our 3rd best forward

I get that fan boys love him as he bleeds blue, but he is replaceable and maybe the club don’t have the money to pay him. We have prioritised other players over him and that makes perfect sense. If we don’t have money, really not sure we can question the club as Owies might reward us if he leaves with a pick that can help get us both Campo boys.

Based on last night and who we played, give me Daniels or 2nd year player Darcy Jones (who was drafted at pick 21) over Owies in a heartbeat. Owies is a fighter and a true warrior but lacks in a fair few areas that other smalls have him covered in.

We can’t keep them all

Obviously, I wouldn't have thought that recruiting a developing a KPD, as I've wanted for years now, is outside the realm of possibility.
Lewis Young fits that mould. Unfortunately he’s not up to the level.

Personally I think our list management in regard to KPPs has been logical - just hasn’t all clicked and therefore needs continued focus.

Yep.
We don't need an All-Aus level talent, we need someone capable of beating a big bodied opponent.
At the moment it's Weiters or bust to some degree & playing him as the gorilla tamer does limit his offensive contribution.
It's not a sexy pick up but someone like Howard (Saints) fits the bill of a depreciated asset that doesn't get bags kicked on him.
Exactly, we need someone like GC got in Collins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chances of us picking up a KPD of any quality while we're already struggling for cap space is fairly low. Unless we paid massive overs for a team to take most of the contract I don't see how we get one in.

For me leg speed is still a concern across the half forward/wing line.
I haven’t followed his season and I think he’s been out a bit but a senior defender like Dylan Grimes would be good, or someone like him, a player at a club not in contention, who has 1-2 years left.

Lewis Young fits that mould. Unfortunately he’s not up to the level.

Personally I think our list management in regard to KPPs has been logical - just hasn’t all clicked and therefore needs continued focus.
Young was the perfect pick up, unfortunately his chemistry with Weitering has meant it hasn't worked out.

Omac would have been handy too if not for his back

I do wonder if the Dogs flunk out and Bevo is sacked... Is it possible the golden fist of Liam Jones could return for a year given what happened? They've got talls coming out their ears.

Would be the cheapest option on the market and we already know he has chemistry with Weiters.

Alright.

I don't do this much, but it's become pretty clear that we need to come up with some alternatives for KPD. I do not think that Young is a never option - for all that he's looked poor when played alongside Weitering, he's been more than fine in Jacob's absence - but if Jacob goes down and Young truly isn't up to it, we need other options. So, find below a series of different players out of contract over the next two seasons*:

Emerson Jeka, 22, 198cm, Geelong
Denver Grainger-Barras, 22, 194cm, Hawthorn
Jacob Blight, 22, 196cm, Richmond
Dougal Howard, 28, 199cm, St Kilda
Harry Arnold, 25, 196cm, Sydney

Josh Draper, 20, 197cm, Fremantle
Leek Aleer, 22, 193cm, GC
Charlie Ballard, 24, 197cm, GC
Josh Gibcus, 21, 196cm, Richmond
Tylar Young, 25, 197cm, Richmond
Arie Schoenmaker, 19, 194cm, St Kilda
Will Edwards, 21, 197cm, Sydney

I'd like to highlight two for this season, and three for next year.

Dougal Howard might be 28, but needs must when the clock's ticking. He's been a leader for them down back, and has been heralded by St Kilda and around the comp for being able to perform when it's hot. He's possibly a little slow, but he's a true key defender and could potentially take the monsters which would free up Jacob to be more aggressive. He'd slot straight in and more or less make a difference from day dot.

Denver Grainger-Barras went in the first round of 2020, as pick 6; the bogeyman pick, so there's a buyer beware there. Still, he was heralded as the best KPD prospect in the draft pool since Jacob himself, so dominant was his U18's. For whatever reason - unprofessionalism, fitness, the demands of an AFL lifestyle - he's not gotten much runtime for Hawthorn under Mitchell - who has preferred Frost and others over him - so he'd absolutely be worth a look to see if the change of club and a change of mindset could spark something in him. The thought of playing in finals almost immediately might also appeal. Of this list, he's got the biggest risk/reward IMO; if he's not up to it and Mitchell's Hawthorn are fair in their assessment, he's a wasted trade target, but if he is that's our backline sorted for 10 years.

Josh Draper played a ****ing good game against Charlie early in the season for three terms, holding him and competing brilliantly. There's not all that many 20 year olds who can do that, and he was 19 at the time. He's got good speed, is tall enough for genuine KPD, and is used to playing second fiddle to a dominant KPD in Pearce. He'd be a spectacular get, as he's very young and has plenty of time to develop with us; there's also that Freo have been excellent talent scouts, and their backline's stacked. If he's getting games this young, he's a prospect.

Charlie Ballard is someone GC would be ****ing crazy to let go, so it amazed me that he was even allowed to be 18 months away from being out of contract. It could be out of sight out of mind due to playing for GC, but he's genuinely an intercepting machine. He's the player that Caleb Marchbank has threatened to be when fit, and in all honesty would immediately enter our 22 - this year or next year - and have arguably the most impact. He's also a good player to have with your back to the wall.

Leek Aleer won't be leaving GC, but imagine if he did. Imagine his athleticism as both a KPD adjacent and a rebounder. He's quick, he's got an amazing leap, and he's been playing under Dew and now Hardwick, both defensive minded coaches. He mightn't be as immediate an in as the others - although, he really might; we're not all that deep - but he'd add dimensions to our defense that we lack at present in that while Saad and Boyd are fast, we do not have someone who can successfully spoil someone like Charlie Cameron, Elliott or Howe when they choose to leap. Aleer would provide that in spades.

*Player contract data taken from Footywire. If it's wrong, it's not my fault and don't at me.
I think most of these names and the possibility of recruiting a young up and coming defender are pretty slim, we supposedly have low $$$$ and limited draft capital.

I would be looking at the 28 year olds and over, players at a club who is down the bottom and looking to rebuild or a player looking at chasing another premiership.

Brian Lake types, Dylan Grimes types, JGov types, at the same time as drafting two of our own.

Chemistry isn’t Young’s problem.
Young isn't the perfect player but whenever he plays the entire backline goes to water and it's not just from his direct opponent getting off the chain, it's like none of them have a clue where they're meant to be. Id say it's a chemistry issue more than anything.

I do wonder if the Dogs flunk out and Bevo is sacked... Is it possible the golden fist of Liam Jones could return for a year given what happened? They've got talls coming out their ears.

Would be the cheapest option on the market and we already know he has chemistry with Weiters.
Reckon the manner of departure suggests the ship has well and truly sailed and his career if not at the Dogs will be elsewhere

Reckon the manner of departure suggests the ship has well and truly sailed and his career if not at the Dogs will be elsewhere
Possibly but time is the best healer. He had a great relationship with all the boys, think it would be more Jones than us saying no to a return.

Would be a good pick up for a season though despite his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back