Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmm, somewhat agree... But if we currently had our pick of anyone in the draft I'd almost guarantee it wouldn't be either of Smillie or Murphy Reid despite them potentially being rated higher as talents. Neither would get a game ahead of the AFL counterparts in Cripps or Hewett/Kennedy/Cerra where as someone like Draper, Lombard, FOS, Ashcroft etc would be a very real chance of displacing someone in our 22 imo.

Typically if you are at the bottom getting a high draft pick you’ve got plenty of holes to fill. The crows need midfielders.

Hewett and Kennedy would be gone in a heartbeat if we picked a quality young mid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024. Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

It is a good contest. Such an even draft. Few of the no. 1 candidates really separating themselves. Going to be such a subjective draft.

Lalor strutting his stuff to go top 10. Travaglia in that territory. Ivisic is a hard read, rather unobtrusive, but gets plenty of quality ball. Lindsay has to be BOG for mine, only Travaglia similar output.

Plenty of talls having moments. They are a hard read to rank. Trainor has to be the highest in body of work. Armstrong staking a claim at the pointy end. Sims maybe a right footed Big H. The Whitlocks are intriguing, not big volume, but some cameos that say you can pick me. Fault and Tauru look likely but also pose some questions at top level. Cole is solid down back. Would have loved to see O’Farrell fit strutting his stuff in this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs set to demand answers from AFL over draft at CEO summit in Perth

Surely too late for drastic changes this year.

Think they may give access to NGA Academy kids before pick 40 (Kako to *)

Surely some sort of caveat precluding clubs trading out of rounds to meet bids with multi late round chaff will commence.
ie we should nit be able to trade out of first and second round picks for prime picks next year AND matching the Campos with late picks.

Cue panic about Cody Walker nominating Richmond.
lol. Never going to happen. All right thinking followers know that. For the record, I can relate to sons of players, even prominent players being in Northern Academies, but not youngsters from footy “stock” of varied ethnicity attached to the NGA’s in Victoria. It is about access to pathways, Academies are it currently in Northern states, there is significant opportunity in “footy heartland”.

I am very much over the racial divide in the game. IMO measures meant to improve “relationships” are actually counter productive.The sooner the community and playing prospects are considered people and players rather than ethnicity being a factor the better. NGA academy set ups are simply a mechanism to placate the grass roots clubs without academies.

For the record I don’t believe we should have access to Tyson Gresham from our NGA. The kid is from a footy family, albeit with an immigrant parent, who meet the criteria in our zone. His brother is an eight year veteran if the game.

Surely too late for drastic changes this year.

Think they may give access to NGA Academy kids before pick 40 (Kako to *)

Surely some sort of caveat precluding clubs trading out of rounds to meet bids with multi late round chaff will commence.
ie we should nit be able to trade out of first and second round picks for prime picks next year AND matching the Campos with late picks.
For mine, clubs should have access to their NGA academy kids after the 1st round, not pick 40.

It eliminates clubs 'rorting' the system like the Dogs did with JUH, and allows all clubs access to them via a 1st round pick. Freo supporters were pissed off that we took Jesse with pick 27 when he was in their academy, yet had three picks in the draft prior to that pick, but opted for other players.

F/S's are completely different, but I think most people agree that the points system needs to be changed...just not this year. It seems even Carlton have conceded that we'll need more points to match the Cody bid - but that's not a huge issue when you have time to plan for it.

lol. Never going to happen. All right thinking followers know that. For the record, I can relate to sons of players, even prominent players being in Northern Academies, but not youngsters from footy “stock” of varied ethnicity attached to the NGA’s in Victoria. It is about access to pathways, Academies are it currently in Northern states, there is significant opportunity in “footy heartland”.

I am very much over the racial divide in the game. IMO measures meant to improve “relationships” are actually counter productive.The sooner the community and playing prospects are considered people and players rather than ethnicity being a factor the better. NGA academy set ups are simply a mechanism to placate the grass roots clubs without academies.

For the record I don’t believe we should have access to Tyson Gresham from our NGA. The kid is from a footy family, albeit with an immigrant parent, who meet the criteria in our zone. His brother is an eight year veteran if the game.
He's an indigenous player from within our zone & happy to be corrected but the footballing family is his brother, who is of the same generation so its doubtful Tyler would have received much benefit beyond being asked whether he's Jade's brother.
Given the system allows the children of a multiple premiership winner in Chris Johnson to be eligible, Tyson absolutely should be IMO.
Unless the aim is to limit it to players not otherwise exposed to the game but it would essentially drop the indigenous component from the NGA which is counter to their aim.

Shapes as a “bolter” doubt we will get a look at him. If we get a pick before a Campo bid, absolutely would be bloody hard to go past.

I am sort of hoping that clubs reach for the talls and peripheral players pushing up the draft order. Could well lead to Ben surviving until the early second round. Everything crossed.

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back