Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We basically have this year and next year to potentially add to our KPP stocks with anything close to resembling a high draft pick. Conversely we have the Campos, Walker and one or two academy players coming through who are on the medium to smaller side. I think the time is nigh to plan for the former. There seems to be a few worthy players that might be still around if we manage to get ahead of the first bid.
Think we need to hope to have a richmond style lotto win with free agency ala Richmond-Lynch. We need a now player and of Substantial quality.

Id be trying to get up the board and grab either the best small fwd, or the best pacey mid available

Think we need to hope to have a richmond style lotto win with free agency ala Richmond-Lynch. We need a now player and of Substantial quality.

Id be trying to get up the board and grab either the best small fwd, or the best pacey mid available
In order of who I'd like at our pick (Expecting us to try and trade ahead of Ben somewhere into the 12-16 range to be safe)

Then a couple of chances late...

Jasper Alger - No videos :(

Evan Bradley - No videos :(

Benny Barrett - No videos :(

All three are pacey and skilful small forwards, Barrett and Bradley both capable of the miraculous but inconsistent.

Luke Kennedy - Slight bodied midfielder, elite endurance and very polished on both sides of the body. Probably needs to bulk up a bit and tends to lack the accumulative ability of the other top mids in the draft but works his ass off in game. Runs a sub 6min 2km.

Last edited:

We'd need to have a very high pick, or even a miracle, to get the right 'now' player, IMO.

I think the 'need of the year' focusing actually backfires because (I believe) it encourages groupthink and a kind of 'allocation' mentality. It potentially prevents us from bringing in the best kids to develop at their own pace and in the position they are best suited to. Not everyone is Nick Daicos; they should be starting to play their best football in three to four years, not the year following their draft year. I would have hoped having some quality F/Ss coming through would actually free us up a bit.

I only specified talls because the stars might actually be aligned that way, as they were in 2015, albeit to a lesser degree this time.

Last edited:
In order of who I'd like at our pick (Expecting us to try and trade ahead of Ben somewhere into the 12-16 range to be safe)

All three are pacey and skilful small forwards, Barrett and Bradley both capable of the miraculous but inconsistent.

Luke Kennedy - Slight bodied midfielder, elite endurance and very polished on both sides of the body. Probably needs to bulk up a bit and tends to lack the accumulative ability of the other top mids in the draft but works his ass off in game. Runs a sub 6min 2km.

I like the players you have singled out, but regarding Barret who caught my eye as well, l think the commentators mentioned he is port Adelaide academy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Joe Berry to me looks like a kid who just knows his game back the front. While others kids are still figuring what they can do, Joe already looks like he’s honed his craft. I think he could play small forward or high half forward role. Good speed, very good kick, could add speed and skill to forward half of ground.

Will be looking out for him. Only thing is he looks a bit outside, just want to make sure he attacks and contests the ball well when necessary.

Joe Berry to me looks like a kid who just knows his game back the front. While others kids are still figuring what they can do, Joe already looks like he’s honed his craft. I think he could play small forward or high half forward role. Good speed, very good kick, could add speed and skill to forward half of ground.

Will be looking out for him. Only thing is he looks a bit outside, just want to make sure he attacks and contests the ball well when necessary.

Last game they actually put him in at the bounces, that was a great sign for me that he is not just a small forward. His kicking skills are some of the best in the draft class, lots to like about the kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the champs games for SA, he’s a Serong clone but no chance we’ll get him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My memory is a little vague on serong as an 18 year old but l feel like Draper is a bit more dynamic. Maybe better athletically.

There’s a chance Draper goes top 3. Definitely top 5 you would think.

My memory is a little vague on serong as an 18 year old but l feel like Draper is a bit more dynamic. Maybe better athletically.

There’s a chance Draper goes top 3. Definitely top 5 you would think.

I’d be stunned if he goes that high I think he’s massively overhyped

Happy to be wrong but I don’t see it

I'd be really surprised if he went past the Crows, so where they finish will be his floor IMO
While I can absolutely see them going Draper, I feel like they need some size in their midfield. Harvey Langford might be one they look at as a more explosive big body to compliment Rankine, Dawson and Soligo

I see him ending up as a point of difference midfielder in time. Crumbing work and ability to gather the ball in traffic is as good as any, generally translates well to playing on ball. Love his turn of pace.
It will be interesting to see his back end to the season, if he ups his possession numbers then maybe your statement is correct. Then again he could be just Ainsworth styled player. I loved him as a kid and projected big things in the midfield and it never really worked out.

I am a little cautious on projecting increases in possession numbers when they don't show it at junior level.

While I can absolutely see them going Draper, I feel like they need some size in their midfield. Harvey Langford might be one they look at as a more explosive big body to compliment Rankine, Dawson and Soligo

I agree that Adelaide could do with some size and strength in the middle but from watching drafting over the years it’s very very dangerous to be worrying about types at the top end of the draft. Just take the guy you rate highest and fill needs later or with trading.

But You never know, Harvey Langford might be the guy they rate highest at there pick.

I agree that Adelaide could do with some size and strength in the middle but from watching drafting over the years it’s very very dangerous to be worrying about types at the top end of the draft. Just take the guy you rate highest and fill needs later or with trading.

But You never know, Harvey Langford might be the guy they rate highest at there pick.

Mmmm, somewhat agree... But if we currently had our pick of anyone in the draft I'd almost guarantee it wouldn't be either of Smillie or Murphy Reid despite them potentially being rated higher as talents. Neither would get a game ahead of the AFL counterparts in Cripps or Hewett/Kennedy/Cerra where as someone like Draper, Lombard, FOS, Ashcroft etc would be a very real chance of displacing someone in our 22 imo as they have traits we lack and are on similar footing talent wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back