Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Armstrong is our pick he complete our forward line get around him also Barry Armstrong played for Carlton. Harry and The Camporeale boys.

You’re right, absolute dead ringer for Jeremy Cameron. If the quality of his play resembles his style then you take him if you get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just watched 3 qtrs from weekend he looks an exciting fwd prospect.
His biggest knocks are his injury history and his height. Slightly undersized to be a 1st choice KPF.

I'm obviously a big fan given my personal ties to him but he does have very good forward smarts. Just finds a way to hit the scoreboard whenever he plays.

His biggest knocks are his injury history and his height. Slightly undersized to be a 1st choice KPF.

I'm obviously a big fan given my personal ties to him but he does have very good forward smarts. Just finds a way to hit the scoreboard whenever he plays.
How we build for the future is a bit of a mystery. The tall progression will be a slow one.

Re: Armstrong, have seen him listed from 190cm to 195cm. Could be in a growth spurt phase. Eye test has him 193cm or maybe a little more, which is adequate.

Harry, Charlie and Weitering are going nowhere for six or more years. In all likelihood add Kemp as the defensive foil for that period.

We need both back up and progression. We have Lemmey who is slow burn. He could end up at either end of the ground. If he rises as a defender we may see a bit of him late 2025. Other than a taste or injury replacement we won’t see him forward for at least a year beyond that. Difficult for the lad, as he does not have a short term pathway to the top team. His quickest avenue would be to replace someone (likely McGovern) for a number of games. Hopefully he can maintain the rage to grow his game at either end.

Until we move on him with better options or his contract expires in 2026, Young remains a part of the mix. The other developing player is Hudson O’Keeffe. Ruck first but a decent 3rd tall forward option with great set shot conversion. Perhaps athletic enough to have some grounding down back as well to expand our options should the need arise. We also have the versatility and combative Jack Silvagni returning as a foil, or in times of need.

Ideally in the next couple of years we need another option at either end. With O’Keeffe and Lemmey developing, there is no compulsion to get a “genuine” key forward. Let’s not forget that Charlie does not necessarily fit the size expectations of the modern KPF. Armstrong is definitely not out of the picture as an option. We only have a small sample to date.

We can only select from those available in any draft, but ideally we need an athletically gifted, genuine 197cm plus key defender. Capable of covering the extreme athletic tall forwards who can find Weiters out. Possessing “elite” closing speed and reach along with the ability to read the play. Release Kemp to play the McGovern role as Gov approaches his use by date.

(If we can somehow conjure a pick in the right range I would nominate Cody Curtin in next year’s draft for that key defender. His big brother is a hybrid type, where Cody is a genuine defender first type.) It makes sense to target that defencer next year, given our draft this season is largely spoken for. We get another year to assess Lemmey with back up from Young and one of Marchbank, Durdin or another mature rookie option.

There are a couple of hybrid forward types who played on the weekend with varying game styles and body shapes. Both listed at 190cm in WA’s wiry Hamish Davis who likely is a second rounder or VIC Country bull Cooper Hynes who is also a genuine midfielder and probably pushes the first round, who I would have in calculations should we have another decent pick available with no genuine talls in our range.

Last edited:
I would love some posters on BF to lock in their draft capsule BEFORE the draft.
Heck even slightly before Twomey posts his predicted draft.

It is funny, I remember having many conversations with certain Carlton poster about our mutual love for Rivers but no doubt I forget the times I rated some spud in the top 10.
I remember being angry at Cripps selection... I remember also being angry at Dow...I was upset slightly with the TDK selection... Obviously I only ever tell people how I rated Cerra/LDU higher than Dow, it is always easy to forget your misses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back